Post a reply

Re: John Higgins-"I have another five years to win three mor

Postby Snooker Overdrive

randam05 wrote:What do we reckon?

I certainly wouldnt put it past him. Hes a total genius. More so a genius than ronnie. Hat off to the guy.

No way. He played extremely poor every time he was defending champion. The pressure was just too much even for him. He's nearly 36 now. I can't see beyond an fifth world title.

But Higgins already achieved more than anyone would have thought 5 years ago and now is the most successful player of his generation at the Crucible.

Postby Wildey

Hendry's been waiting 12 years to get to 10 lol

theres no reason why he shouldn't get there but it would be a shabby state of affairs if the class of 2000s cant get WC on a consistent level.

During this World Championship John has if truth be told Struggled big time at times i dont think he played at his best and far from it Ronnie,Williams and Trump had winning leads against him and all 3 it has to be said Blobbed.

What John has is Balls Big ones 2 many players for my liking hasn't got big enough hands to squeeze throes Balls until he bleeds.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:Hendry's been waiting 12 years to get to 10 lol

theres no reason why he shouldn't get there but it would be a shabby state of affairs if the class of 2000s cant get WC on a consistent level.

During this World Championship John has if truth be told Struggled big time at times i dont think he played at his best and far from it Ronnie,Williams and Trump had winning leads against him and all 3 it has to be said Blobbed.

What John has is Balls Big ones 2 many players for my liking hasn't got big enough hands to squeeze throes Balls until he bleeds.

For once I agree, but maybe it's just a signal that Higgins' B-game is just simply better than most A-games ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:

For once I agree, but maybe it's just a signal that Higgins' B-game is just simply better than most A-games ?

not that its better he just plays a better game when hes not firing.

any one of thoes 3 players playing at their ultimate would have blown johns B Game to shreds.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

By the way I am slowly becoming sick of Steve Davis: Again he said Higgins is the greatest of all times and now he's says Trump is a bigger snooker genius than Ronnie :roll:

Bandwagon jumping at his finest.

"Judd Trump lit up the World Championship but John Higgins has gone away with the spoils.

"John is the greatest player I have ever seen and he thoroughly deserved to win. I think only John Higgins could have beaten Judd Trump today.

"As for Judd... Ronnie O'Sullivan is a genius at the snooker table but I have to say this guy Trump made my jaw drop more than anyone I remember."

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:

any one of thoes 3 players playing at their ultimate would have blown johns B Game to shreds.

Yeh that's fair, the very top guys need to learn consistency better.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Yeh that's fair, the very top guys need to learn consistency better.

to be honest with Judd i think he played the right game he could not have done much more at this stage in his career he gave away lots of experience to John.

this is johns 4th win and this is the hardest hes been pushed in any of them so :hatoff:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Snooker Overdrive wrote:By the way I am slowly becoming sick of Steve Davis: Again he said Higgins is the greatest of all times and now he's says Trump is a bigger snooker genius than Ronnie :roll:

Bandwagon jumping at his finest.

"Judd Trump lit up the World Championship but John Higgins has gone away with the spoils.

"John is the greatest player I have ever seen and he thoroughly deserved to win. I think only John Higgins could have beaten Judd Trump today.

"As for Judd... Ronnie O'Sullivan is a genius at the snooker table but I have to say this guy Trump made my jaw drop more than anyone I remember."

Neil Robertson was supposed to dominate six months ago. If Ronnie wins another major title they'll start jizzing on him again.

Postby Alex0paul

Bourne wrote:Don't know why he'd say that, is he retiring in 5 years :chin: No way he'll win 3 in that time by the way, 1 or 2 tops.

In his post match interview the person asking the question said something along the lines of "Ken Doherty says he doesn't think anyone will win a world title after they turn 40" which John replied about winning 3 in 5 years.

Postby vodkadiet

Alex0paul wrote:
Bourne wrote:Don't know why he'd say that, is he retiring in 5 years :chin: No way he'll win 3 in that time by the way, 1 or 2 tops.

In his post match interview the person asking the question said something along the lines of "Ken Doherty says he doesn't think anyone will win a world title after they turn 40" which John replied about winning 3 in 5 years.

Ken said no one could win a wolrd title after they were 37 a few years ago, so maybe he will say no one can win a world title after they are 45 when John wins his 7th in 2016?

In reality, John's matchplay snooker won him this year's title. In all fairness John was way under par, and only started playing half ecent on the last day of the event. I cannot see him winning more than 1 more.

If he wins again, even next year, he will be the oldest player to win since Ray Reardon in 1978.

Postby N_Castle07

hmmmm :huh: Can’t see this happening, i expect john said this whilst still hyped up. If he believes this then that’s great. For me his long game is starting to go like Ronnie’s and Hendry’s you could see signs of this last week. But who knows with Higgins he is amazing hopefully he’s got another one in him. For me the big question is “Can he overtake Steve Davis ranking titles?”
Davis has won 28 and Higgins is currently on 24.

Postby Wildey

Records are there to be Broken Records are a Goal to someone to achieve.

Stephen Hendry at 30 had no goals to aim for had he had any goals to aim for he might have won more well in to his 30s.

if John does it then :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:In reality, John's matchplay snooker won him this year's title. In all fairness John was way under par, and only started playing half ecent on the last day of the event. I cannot see him winning more than 1 more.

He may not have been at his best, but The Crucible is not a "Who plays the most attractive snooker", or "Who is being more fluent then who?" competition. All the top-players can make big breaks when in form, but you need solid match play to get you through when you're not on top-form. That's why it's called matchplay, and not lookinggoodinpracticeplay.

Higgins won the UK title, the World Championship and the Welsh Open this season. And he was never playing the most fluid stuff, and a lot of the time didn't get past his B-Game. Which is darn impressive when you think about it. Two majors and the Welsh Open playing only his B-Game? :huh:

Postby GJ

I think he will get 6 at best

if the pattern continues he will lose in round 2 next year like after his last 2 title defences at worlds

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Records are there to be Broken Records are a Goal to someone to achieve.

Stephen Hendry at 30 had no goals to aim for had he had any goals to aim for he might have won more well in to his 30s.

he could have aimed for Joe Davis tally of 15 world titles :no:

or Steve Davis's superior tally of tournaments won :bowdown: <ok>

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:In reality, John's matchplay snooker won him this year's title. In all fairness John was way under par, and only started playing half ecent on the last day of the event. I cannot see him winning more than 1 more.

He may not have been at his best, but The Crucible is not a "Who plays the most attractive snooker", or "Who is being more fluent then who?" competition. All the top-players can make big breaks when in form, but you need solid match play to get you through when you're not on top-form. That's why it's called matchplay, and not lookinggoodinpracticeplay.

Higgins won the UK title, the World Championship and the Welsh Open this season. And he was never playing the most fluid stuff, and a lot of the time didn't get past his B-Game. Which is darn impressive when you think about it. Two majors and the Welsh Open playing only his B-Game? :huh:

what a lot of people forget though, is that Higgins B game is probably better than his A game :john:

when he digs in and gets into grinding mode hes far more effective for me, as he almost puts a Papa Shango like mental curse on his opponents who crumble to an extent as they cant shake him off :grrr:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Records are there to be Broken Records are a Goal to someone to achieve.

he could have aimed for Joe Davis tally of 15 world titles :no:

or Steve Davis's superior tally of tournaments won :bowdown: <ok>

there wasent pot black around for hendry to get some token tournament wins.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

what a lot of people forget though, is that Higgins B game is probably better than his A game :john:

when he digs in and gets into grinding mode hes far more effective for me, as he almost puts a Papa Shango like mental curse on his opponents who crumble to an extent as they cant shake him off :grrr:

yes Johns A Game would have been flattened by Ronnie or Hendrys A Game.

Postby Tubberlad

On the topic of best of his generation, that's a fair conclusion to make by some even if I don't agree with it myself. The best & most successful player of the 00's was Ronnie O'Sullivan, he won the most World titles in that time, the most ranking titles and was ranked first more often than anyone.

Since the start of the 10's however, Higgins has been the best by some distance.

Postby Casey

There are not many people who have won the World title on their B game. If Higgins was at his very best he would have beaten Ronnie, Williams and Trump more easily. He showed patches of brilliance that won him the UK -

3 session against Ronnie
3&4 sessions against Williams
3 session against Trump

The fact that after 19 frames of the final his high break was only 64 says alot.

7 titles though? Can't see it but he will win another one in the next couple of years.