Topic locked

Ted Lowe 1920-2011

Postby PLtheRef

Its the sad duty to report to the Island the death of the 'Voice of Snooker' 'whispering Ted' who has died at the age of 90.

Re: Ted Lowe 1920-2011

Postby Casey

Sad news :-( and on the day of the final. Fate?

Postby Bourne

RIP - I'm sure the BBC will put up a fitting tribute <ok>

Postby randam05

Casey wrote:Sad news :-( and on the day of the final. Fate?

I know...theres 365 days a year and he dies on this day. Sad news, very sad. The voice of snooker, I do suppose there isnt a better day to pass away.

Postby Alex0paul

Very sad news. I was watching an old interview with him the day before the tournament started.

Postby Monique

RIP Ted Lowe. Part of snooker history and memories are going with you...

Postby jojo

he was a classy commentator he never waffled on talking bull like some do he always said just about enough and not too much

i dont think it comes as too much of a shock he last commentated in 1996 he was really old but sad news all the same

Postby GJ

RIP

Ted lowe

Postby Caledonian Craig

Nice tribute before the match and liked JV's reaction who never applauded but stood with his head bowed and eyes closed perhaps remembering him in silence.

Postby Wildey

RIP Ted Lowe

hes the voice of my youth From the Moment he called Alex Higgins home with a 135 in 1982 to Stephen Hendry's 6th title in 1996.

Postby Alex0paul

JV looked close to tears

Postby Caledonian Craig

Alex0paul WC wrote:JV looked close to tears

Yes really liked his bowed head and silence. Very moving. I like JV as he always comes across as more impartial than some of the other commentators.

Postby Alex0paul

Nice to see Ted on the Black Ball Final programme now. He looked incredible for his age.

Postby Witz78

RIP to one of the iconic sporting commentators of the 20th century.

Make no mistake about it kids, but Ted did as much f0r snooker as DaviS and Higgins and co did back in the glory days, words cant describe the way he added to the drama with his memorable contributions to the commentary.

The irony he died on final day is bizzare.

He had a good innings but ive now came to the conclusion that there should be an annual Snooker Awards Ceremony with a Hall of Fame incorporated into it and Ted and Alex and Joe Davis of course should be the first 3 inductees.

Thankfully Teds commentary style will live on via Eurosport thanks to Angles

Postby wheelsofsteel

Witz78 wrote:Thankfully Teds commentary style will live on via Eurosport thanks to Angles

What, being unable to call shots <ok>