Topic locked

Re: Trump a World Finalist at 21

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Don't forget Shaun Murphy, nobody thought he'd still be on one World Title six years ago. And back in 1998 everybody was saying Higgy Bhoy would win seven titles, in 1999 Hendry was supposed to reach ten.

Postby GJ

having threads about trump hatas will look silytomorrow if he faces higgins as 90 % will support trump

Postby Caledonian Craig

Win or lose this Final Judd Trump is well-placed to become the next multiple world champion. This year's world championship has been very interesting as it seems to me to be the cross-over of eras. The likes of John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins have largely dominated snooker between them for the last dozen years but this tournament has seen them miss some incredible shots and chances which tells me their age (now all well into their 30's is catching up with them) and would think their better years are behind them. If that is the case then we need to look at the new guard coming through and Ding is maturing now and we have Judd Trump and Neil Robertson but other youngsters like Lisowski is still a long way off challenging for tournaments so the way is open for Trump to stamp his authority on this new era.

Postby jojo

if im honest ronnie lacked a lot of match sharpness his game needs a lot less concentration than most so he may be near the top yet for the next five years

higgins and williams standard wise are showing signs of declining

trump needs to win for the good of snooker and i would have said this even if he was playing williams

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Caledonian Craig wrote:Win or lose this Final Judd Trump is well-placed to become the next multiple world champion. This year's world championship has been very interesting as it seems to me to be the cross-over of eras. The likes of John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins have largely dominated snooker between them for the last dozen years but this tournament has seen them miss some incredible shots and chances which tells me their age (now all well into their 30's is catching up with them) and would think their better years are behind them. If that is the case then we need to look at the new guard coming through and Ding is maturing now and we have Judd Trump and Neil Robertson but other youngsters like Lisowski is still a long way off challenging for tournaments so the way is open for Trump to stamp his authority on this new era.

Neil Robertson is certainly no youngster, he's turning 30 soon.

Postby GJ

a good 6 years on ronnie so 6 chances to get to his 3 world crowns

Postby Snooker Overdrive

jojo wrote:if im honest ronnie lacked a lot of match sharpness his game needs a lot less concentration than most so he may be near the top yet for the next five years

higgins and williams standard wise are showing signs of declining

trump needs to win for the good of snooker and i would have said this even if he was playing williams

Agree 100%

:hatoff: :spot on:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:a good 6 years on ronnie so 6 chances to get to his 3 world crowns

I think Robbo will end his career having won 2 crowns. Not more because the standard is so high these days and the likes of Murphy are still waiting 6 years after their first win for their second.

Postby GJ

also robbo only turned 29 in late feb so hardly turnin g 30 soon nearly a year away

Postby Caledonian Craig

So Higgins and Williams missed shots are declining standards yet Ronnie does it as well and its lack of match sharpness? Errr......okay. Remember it was said that pre-tournament Ronnie was going to be as fresh as a daisy due to a lack of matches, after his First Round win people were falling over themselves about his form but he missed shots there and in later matches that he never used to in the past much like Higgins and Williams have and their careers are all at the same stage so it is not implausible their form is deteriorating around the same time.

Postby GJ

to be fair any number of players could now win each year so robbo will have to play well to add to his 1 worlds

im confident he can do it

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:also robbo only turned 29 in late feb so hardly turnin g 30 soon nearly a year away

<ok> still he's no youngster anymore. Ding and Trump are the only successful youngster in snooker at the moment. That's far too few.

Postby GJ

robbo 29

wiggy 28 coming soon

murphy 29 this year

all same age group

then

allen 25

ding 24

trump 22 this year

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

When Higgy Bhoy won in 1998 the pundits on TV were talking as if there was a limitless supply of World Titles to go around. Higgins had the chance to reach five titles, Williams was due to win a couple, Hendry had one more left in him, Doherty had reached two straight finals so he couldn't be ruled out. O'Sullivan had to potential to be another Jimmy White but most excepted he would eventually win at least one. Then there was Stevens, Hunter, Ebdon, Lee etc. There was also the next generation of Murphy & Maguire while there were always going to be a surprise winner like Dott. Right now Robertson, Selby, Trump, Ding, Murphy & Allen are all supposed to be multiple champions with Lisowski, Brecel etc coming up and Higgins/O'Sullivan/Williams still around. They can't all win that amount.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Caledonian Craig wrote:So Higgins and Williams missed shots are declining standards yet Ronnie does it as well and its lack of match sharpness? Errr......okay. Remember it was said that pre-tournament Ronnie was going to be as fresh as a daisy due to a lack of matches, after his First Round win people were falling over themselves about his form but he missed shots there and in later matches that he never used to in the past much like Higgins and Williams have and their careers are all at the same stage so it is not implausible their form is deteriorating around the same time.

Ronnies game is based on his ridiculous amount of talent. Few other players would have reached a quarter final in the worlds without having real match practise since end of October. Of course you miss a few if you haven't played for that long. Williams and Higgins on the other hand have no excuse.

Postby Bourne

I'd prefer to judge Judd on what he has done so far, not what he might do in the future. Truth is he now has a final against the (true) best player on the planet, over THE distance, toughest task in snooker ? No shame in losing considering what most thought of his progression in March. But I believe ...

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Bourne wrote:I'd prefer to judge Judd on what he has done so far, not what he might do in the future. Truth is he now has a final against the (true) best player on the planet, over THE distance, toughest task in snooker ? No shame in losing considering what most thought of his progression in March. But I believe ...

Me too :bowdown:

Postby GJ

higgins schooled 2 young players in murphy and selby in his last 2 world finals

it will be schooling number 3 in this final

Postby Caledonian Craig

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:When Higgy Bhoy won in 1998 the pundits on TV were talking as if there was a limitless supply of World Titles to go around. Higgins had the chance to reach five titles, Williams was due to win a couple, Hendry had one more left in him, Doherty had reached two straight finals so he couldn't be ruled out. O'Sullivan had to potential to be another Jimmy White but most excepted he would eventually win at least one. Then there was Stevens, Hunter, Ebdon, Lee etc. There was also the next generation of Murphy & Maguire while there were always going to be a surprise winner like Dott. Right now Robertson, Selby, Trump, Ding, Murphy & Allen are all supposed to be multiple champions with Lisowski, Brecel etc coming up and Higgins/O'Sullivan/Williams still around. They can't all win that amount.

Well as for those players you mention going around right now:-

Robertson could win another world title.

Selby looks destined never to win the world title as he seems to lack the big match temperament - great player though.

Ding certainly could win one or two world titles and has progressed this season so would be surprised if he never wins a world title.

Trump a good candidate to be a multiple world champion such is his talent and temperament.

Murphy may find his better years are behind him and will find it tough to win another world title.

Lisowski and Brecel still have a long, long way to go before they can even be considered for snooker's grandest prize.

Higgins, O'Sullivan and Williams may be on the slippery slope downwards already but one of them may get another world title before they call it a day.

Postby Roland

Trump can't lose. Williams had Higgins battle scars, Judd doesn't. He'll blow Higgins away. Seriously. I wanted Ding v Williams so I don't care who wins but I know it's Judd's year. He will beat him around 18-12.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:Trump can't lose. Williams had Higgins battle scars, Judd doesn't. He'll blow Higgins away. Seriously. I wanted Ding v Williams so I don't care who wins but I know it's Judd's year. He will beat him around 18-12.

Fingers crossed. I think Judd's best chance is winning it 'easily', as opposed to fighting in a tight one. No reason why Judd can't win the first couple of sessions and then play it out.

Postby GJ

higins will be happy his semi didnt run late or that would help trump it was over well before 10 so pretty early by 2nd semi standards

Postby jojo

wish i had your confidence pal i have a horrible feeling higgins will grind trump to death and there will be a bit of a come down for trump suddenly he will start to realise what hes done and what he about to achieve and his level will drop and higgins will win without playing at his best

i would bucking hate that bucking hate it my love for snooker is depending on judds result im fearing the worst maybe the good thing is i might get a pleasent surprise as ive already accepted the worst

Postby Bourne

I don't see Judd getting grinded, why would he get involved in that business ? He's a potter and will always go for that option whereas some opponents against Higgins play it too cagey. Plus Judd can compete in the safety battles, okay he won't win more than Higgins but it's not as one-sided as people like to make out. Judd has been written off every match since the China Open quarter-final so i'm happy for him to be written off again, but I know that form + confidence is a weapon that no-one can buy.

Postby DavieMac

There is absolutely no way Trump will blow Higgins away. Silly comment. I do think Trump will win by 3/4 frames but blow a player like Higgins away in the World final?... no bucking chance.

Postby GJ

whoever wins deserves it no point acting like a baby if higgins wins jojo

Postby DavieMac

GJ wrote:whoever wins deserves it no point acting like a baby if higgins wins jojo

No point trying to reason with him either. :fart:

Postby GJ

DavieMac wrote:
GJ wrote:whoever wins deserves it no point acting like a baby if higgins wins jojo

No point trying to reason with him either. :fart:

<laugh> :baby: rofl

Postby GJ

Chumba

Peoplemay say if he can beat sleby in a final higgins is no tougher

But as you and me know wiggs is overrated abit where as higgins is top class in finals

Postby Snooker Overdrive

This is the final test for Trump. It won't get any harder than this. If he wins the title it would be so well deserved it is beyond words.

His road to the final:

1. Kicks out the defending champion who played well
2. Kicks out the man who had the world champion a year ago on the ropes
3. Blows the last years finalist out of the arena
4. Beats a flawless Ding on top form
5. ???

Do it Judd!