Post a reply

Re: Hendry won't retire

Postby Tubberlad

He had a chance to go out as a top sixteen, and I don't fancy his chances of staying there after next year. I think he's missed a trick.

But as a brilliant ambassador and undisputed legend of the game, it's nice to see Hendry sticking a bit longer.

Postby Casey

Tubberlad wrote:He had a chance to go out as a top sixteen, and I don't fancy his chances of staying there after next year. I think he's missed a trick.

But as a brilliant ambassador and undisputed legend of the game, it's nice to see Hendry sticking a bit longer.

The thing is, unlike this year he doesn't have a lot of points dropping off. He could stay in there.

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:He had a chance to go out as a top sixteen, and I don't fancy his chances of staying there after next year. I think he's missed a trick.

The thing is, unlike this year he doesn't have a lot of points dropping off. He could stay in there.

I hope he does, he played reasonably at times this year.

Postby freakmoomin

Im VERY happy with the news!!!

I think this could be the thing that helps stephen get some closure and also sneak the odd result or two! he pretty much made up his mind to retire and when it actually came to it he couldnt do it....he loves snooker, its in his blood!

The fact that he is going to practice with other players is amazing news, I always thought playing on his own was a little odd and many players have spoken about the fact that practicing with fellow pro's helps their game no end. With players like higgins, maguire, dott all within an hours drive of his home he would be mad not to do it!

This and playing in PTC's is a complete turn around from the GOAT and i cant freakin wait!

Postby Wildey

Welcome to the site <ok>

as he himself said this afternoon during this season he went to the PTC with the wrong atetute and was not committed to them.

as a family man its obvious he would rather be home with the family but i think hes had a heart to heart with his family and they have told him to go for it.

He is still in the top 16 and that's results over 2 seasons 13 Ranking Tournaments and 13 PTC Events and hes not been playing great far longer than that so he can still compete at this level as shadow of his former self.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:

case he has 17,000 points dropping off he was 9th on the one year list for 2009/2010 so he has a lot to make up.

these are the points to defend next season
http://prosnookerblog.com/rankings/2009 ... -rankings/

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:

sorry mate but you obviously have missed something here.

his points this season wont be coming off next season, but his 09/10 (last seasons points) will be.

Whilst Hendry had a poor-ish 09/10 season by his standards he still has 17,560 points to drop off.

To put it into perspective he earned 17,560 points last season whilst there was only 6 rankers whereas this season with 7 rankers and 13 PTC events he only earned 17,860.

So with the 17,560 points to come off, theres actually only SEVEN players on the tour who will be losing more points than Hendry is next season so he is definelty under major pressure to try and protect his top 16 status, infact so much so that he had no choice but to play the PTCs to give himself any hope really.

take someone like Gould whos 5 places below him and 2,500 ranking points below him at the moment. Gould has 10,000 LESS points than Hendry to lose so the gap will be closing quickly unless Hendry produces results. Likewise a lot of the guys around Hendry have far less points to lose so Hendry is definetly facing a struggle next season.

Postby Witz78

And i must add im glad to see Hendry has decided to stay on tour and give it a serious crack of the whip next season.

Everyone knows im not a fan of Hendry but its good for the game if the legends like him Davis and Jimmy remain in tour for as long as possible as the interest they generate when they recreate past glories is great for the sport.

And as a big Jimmy and Davis fan, id have hated for them to have thrown in the towel when the decline set in, so putting myself in the shoes of a Hendry fan, id far rather he kept playing on, even in decline just so could continue to support him and hope for a few last hurrahs.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:

his points this season wont be coming off next season, but his 09/10 (last seasons points) will be.

Whilst Hendry had a poor-ish 09/10 season by his standards he still has 17,560 points to drop off.

To put it into perspective he earned 17,560 points last season whilst there was only 6 rankers whereas this season with 7 rankers and 13 PTC events he only earned 17,860.

So with the 17,560 points to come off, theres actually only SEVEN players on the tour who will be losing more points than Hendry is next season so he is definelty under major pressure to try and protect his top 16 status, infact so much so that he had no choice but to play the PTCs to give himself any hope really.

take someone like Gould whos 5 places below him and 2,500 ranking points below him at the moment. Gould has 10,000 LESS points than Hendry to lose so the gap will be closing quickly unless Hendry produces results. Likewise a lot of the guys around Hendry have far less points to lose so Hendry is definetly facing a struggle next season.

Cheers for the info. I had no idea he had so many points to come off. Have we a provisional ranking status with the first cut off points already removed?

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:

Cheers for the info. I had no idea he had so many points to come off. Have we a provisional ranking status with the first cut off points already removed?

as soon as the tournament ends im sure matt will have it for us.

one thing i do know there wont be much between Ronnie and Hendry in the rankings when it does come out.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:And i must add im glad to see Hendry has decided to stay on tour and give it a serious crack of the whip next season.

Everyone knows im not a fan of Hendry but its good for the game if the legends like him Davis and Jimmy remain in tour for as long as possible as the interest they generate when they recreate past glories is great for the sport.

And as a big Jimmy and Davis fan, id have hated for them to have thrown in the towel when the decline set in, so putting myself in the shoes of a Hendry fan, id far rather he kept playing on, even in decline just so could continue to support him and hope for a few last hurrahs.

witz

total respect and total shock <laugh>

Postby Witz78

another thing to remember is when the cut off points will actually be this season.

theres a wave of new rankers early in the season isnt there.

if we assume its the 2009/10 Shanghai Masters and Grand Prix points coming off up till the first cut off point (as it was this season)

then Ronnie has 9,660 points to lose and Hendry has 5,320 points to lose immediately.

Ronnie is currently 5.240 points ahead of Hendry so after these deductions he will only be 900 points ahead.

but where they are in comparison to each other is irrelevant, the fact is both are on the slide and have masses of points to come off next season, so both need to enter lots of events and produce results if they are to remain in the top 16.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:another thing to remember is when the cut off points will actually be this season.

theres a wave of new rankers early in the season isnt there.

if we assume its the 2009/10 Shanghai Masters and Grand Prix points coming off up till the first cut off point (as it was this season)

then Ronnie has 9,660 points to lose and Hendry has 5,320 points to lose immediately.

Ronnie is currently 5.240 points ahead of Hendry so after these deductions he will only be 900 points ahead.

but where they are in comparison to each other is irrelevant, the fact is both are on the slide and have masses of points to come off next season, so both need to enter lots of events and produce results if they are to remain in the top 16.

yes we dont know when the cut off points are but i think its safe to say when points will be taken off

take off points

cut=1 shanghai/GP 2009
Hendry =5320
Ronnie = 9660

cut 2 =UK 2009
Hendry =3040
Ronnie = 5120

Cut 3=Welsh 2010
Hendry =1900
Ronnie = 3200

End of season Cut=china and World 2010
Hendry =7300
Ronnie = 5980

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Wenbo with 7,560 points to drop off at the first cut off, hes heading out of the top 32 haha

just look at selby's first cut points WN1 very soon id say.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Wenbo with 7,560 points to drop off at the first cut off, hes heading out of the top 32 haha

just look at selby's first cut points WN1 very soon id say.

hes gonna be another Hendry. WN1 without winning anything :chuckle:

Postby Witz78

and where do you see Trump being in the rankings this time next year.

With so few points to come off i think hes a cert to rise far higher even with minimal form next season but should he continue to progress like this, he will soon be around the top of the rankings.

Postby Casey

Fair play Witz <ok>

It will be interesting to see if Ronnie and Hendry enter the first couple of PTC events.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:and where do you see Trump being in the rankings this time next year.

With so few points to come off i think hes a cert to rise far higher even with minimal form next season but should he continue to progress like this, he will soon be around the top of the rankings.

if he continues to be consistent Quarter finalist or more he could be WN1 at some point next season

Postby gallantrabbit

I'm happy to see, not just that Hendry will not retire yet, but also that he is going to enter the PTCs too. IMO it had to be all or nothing.
Hendry's family isn't so so young; his youngest is 7 I think, so he can spend time away from them, without affecting their balance too much.
Hendry is only 42/43 and I'm sure he has another ranker in him, but he needs to change his game a little and go into this revival 100%.
He has to play more match snooker and forget trying to steamroller. He needs to get his confidence back fully before he can either think about this.
If I were him I'd be saying, "ok I'm giving this 2 more years to see how it goes. " He's coming back at the right time when there is a lot of snooker to played. The PTCs are great match practice and will only improve in terms of prize money and crowd participation.
I think Hendry has had the attitude that he is 7 times world chapion, how can anyone say what I'm doing is wrong? But every professional in every segment has to change and Hendry himself can only benefit from this change.
All he has to do is fall in love with the game again, and for me that's the easy part.
Only good news from the snooker world at the moment.

Postby SnookerFan

freakmoomin wrote:Im VERY happy with the news!!!

I think this could be the thing that helps stephen get some closure and also sneak the odd result or two! he pretty much made up his mind to retire and when it actually came to it he couldnt do it....he loves snooker, its in his blood!

The fact that he is going to practice with other players is amazing news, I always thought playing on his own was a little odd and many players have spoken about the fact that practicing with fellow pro's helps their game no end. With players like higgins, maguire, dott all within an hours drive of his home he would be mad not to do it!

This and playing in PTC's is a complete turn around from the GOAT and i cant freakin wait!

One post wonder. :bowdown: