Post a reply

Will The Jungle Cost White?

Postby N_Castle07

Will the decision to drop the UK Qualifies to go to the jungle cost Jimmy his spot on tour. As explained by Dave Hendon below Jimmy has a massive week ahead.

All through the 1990s the perennial question asked every year before the World Championship was ‘can Jimmy White win it?’

For the last couple it has been ‘can he qualify?’

This year it’s ‘can he stay on the tour?’

That’s the stark scenario facing the popular Londoner, who reached six Crucible finals between 1984 and 1994.

White goes into the Betfred.com qualifiers this week placed a precarious 60th in the provisional rankings.

He may well have to win his first match to remain in the top 64. If he slips out he will be relegated from the professional circuit after 30 years.

The WPBSA do have at least one wildcard at their discretion. I would find it incredible if this didn’t go to White so that he could continue his career but he could not rely on it indefinitely.

And with the qualifying structure likely to change he might not be able to.

If White gets through a round he ought to be safe. If he loses, his fate with rest in the hands of the players below him on the list.

Either way, it’s a parlous state of affairs for a former world no.2 who, despite the vagaries of form, has never lost his love for the game.

Jimmy’s had some disappointing setbacks this season, losing 5-4 on a re-spotted black from 4-0 up to Ian McCulloch in the Welsh Open qualifiers and then 5-4 to Xiao Guodong in the China Open.

But it was his withdrawal from the UK Championship qualifiers to go on I’m a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here which has proved most costly.

Nobody goes on forever but White’s vast army of supporters will hope their man can go on a little longer.

Regardless of his current fortunes, he’ll still attract plenty of support both at the qualifiers and from those glued to live scoring.

Re: Will The Jungle Cost White?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Good question. My initial reaction would be that I hope not.

Considering he is now playing best of 19's, I'd like to think he will be able to impose himself a good bit during his early qualifying match's.

Postby SnookerFan

I'll be honest, I think Jimmy White's career is in free fall, and if he doesn't drop of the main tour this season, it'll be sooner rather then later.

If he ever had any real intention of staying and fighting for his place on the tour, why go into the jungle at all? He may not admit it, but you wonder how bothered he is with it all now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Welsh Open the only tournament he qualified for since dropping out of the top 16. The two Masters he got into were wildcards.

Postby N_Castle07

It is interesting, did White sacrifice a tough qualification to the UK for a certain wildcard for the Masters after appearing on I’m a Celebrity? Was this a promotional ploy set up by Hearn and White? We won’t find out the answers to this, but it could prove very costly if he looses his first qualifying match this week. The decision could haunt him. I’m confident if he does loose his place on the tour he will fight to get back on tour. That’s if he doesn’t get a wildcard back on of course.

Postby Casey

For him to drop out 5 players have to overtake him. Can't see that happening imo

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:I'll be honest, I think Jimmy White's career is in free fall, and if he doesn't drop of the main tour this season, it'll be sooner rather then later.

If he ever had any real intention of staying and fighting for his place on the tour, why go into the jungle at all? He may not admit it, but you wonder how bothered he is with it all now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Welsh Open the only tournament he qualified for since dropping out of the top 16. The two Masters he got into were wildcards.

He made the Shanghai Masters last season but blew a 4-3 lead to lose 5-4 to Mark King in Round 1.

Postby Cheesyman99

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'll be honest, I think Jimmy White's career is in free fall, and if he doesn't drop of the main tour this season, it'll be sooner rather then later.

He made the Shanghai Masters last season but blew a 4-3 lead to lose 5-4 to Mark King in Round 1.

And lost to Barry Hawkins in the 1st round of Northen Ireland trophy

Postby Wildey

will the jungle cost white ?

no with jimmycards flying about like confetti he will be on tour next season <ok>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:will the jungle cost white ?

no with jimmycards flying about like confetti he will be on tour next season <ok>

The disdain you show to one of our legends wild bothers me.

We both see threads, posts, articles, call them what you want, about the greatest players of all time ever to grace our game, & Jimmy White's name will always appear in people's lists. Try putting together something that asks for the players who have put our great game on the map & done wonders for the game, & always, always, always, Jimmy White's name will appear on that list.

He's not dead wild & is still trying & playing the game. Remember that please. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Jimmy White is a great guy, no doubt about it. And I've no doubt that he's one of the great snooker players of all time, top 10 definitely (I reckon 8th). Unfortunately, he's always going to be judged on what he didn't win.

Yes John, I know where you're coming from, but unfortnately I think Wild may be on to something. I could definitely see World Snooker handing a tour wildcard to White, and it pains me to say that would be a poor call.

White will always be a great draw, and will always be wildly popular. But it's time to move on.

Postby Bourne

He gave me entertainment on weekday evenings in that show so it was worth it, he'll be pleased to know.

Postby Witz78

Hes the most popular player of all time and would be far more deserving of a main tour wildcard than the likes of David Gray and the other 2 non-entities were this year

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:will the jungle cost white ?

The disdain you show to one of our legends wild bothers me.

We both see threads, posts, articles, call them what you want, about the greatest players of all time ever to grace our game, & Jimmy White's name will always appear in people's lists. Try putting together something that asks for the players who have put our great game on the map & done wonders for the game, & always, always, always, Jimmy White's name will appear on that list.

He's not dead wild & is still trying & playing the game. Remember that please. <ok>

john giving wild cards based on popularity bothers me for the future of the sport. nothing against jimmy i love watching jimmy play when he can play but when he has fallen as low as he has id like to see him fighting back off his own bat and not be comfortable in the knowledge im a legend and im sure ill get a wild card..

Postby N_Castle07

I personally don’t know why he didn’t just go into Celebrity Big Brother instead. It has the same exposure maybe even more he would of still earned good from it. Also he would of only missed The Masters which has no ranking points and he could of tried to qualify for the UK and earn some more ranking points.

Postby Rocket_ron

N_Castle07 wrote:I personally don’t know why he didn’t just go into Celebrity Big Brother instead. It has the same exposure maybe even more he would of still earned good from it. Also he would of only missed The Masters which has no ranking points and he could of tried to qualify for the UK and earn some more ranking points.

true

Postby gallantrabbit

I think Jimmy probably would get a wildcard for the tour. Let's face it, it would not be damaging for the tour at all in any way shape or form. JImmy has practised more these last 18 months than he has in years and just needs to get his head right to reach the odd venue again. It's all down to confidence but JImmy is approaching it the wrong way and slapping at balls instead of waiting a little more for his chances. Slowly slowly he could build his confidence, expecting his a game to come back will only slow the process.