Post a reply

My take on this 'new word tour'

Postby Tubberlad

Last week, I wrote an article on an ideal World Tour, thinking that it was all wishful thinking. However, to my amazement, World Snooker have today annunced plans for a 15 ranking event season. This would be a massive step in the right direction. And yet, I feel this a very complex issue. We'll have to look at both sides of the debate.

I've always been a major critic of Rodney Walker, but for once he seems to at least know what people want. 15 ranking events: it's a dream come true for snooker fans. And if he's being sincere, then hats off to him.

However, I have very, very sceptical.

2009 has been the worst year in snooker's history. Rodney Walker and the WPBSA have never got anything right before, and have always seemed more interested in themselves than the game and it's fans. Nobody going to matches, a ridiculous 6 reds plan, miserable prize money, a lack of sponsorship (or else some totally laughable sponsors). The game has fallen so far in peoples estimations.

I love snooker, and I've never doubted how great a game it is. My only doubts have ever been about the running of the sport.

We've had promises of 10 ranking event tours before. Never happened. What a coincidence that we're a few days away from a possible shift in Snooker power? Is this simply a case of grasping on for dear life?

Also, we've had such poor prize money in the past, how are we now going to fund a 15 ranking event season? Where has this money suddenly come from? Also, where do they plan holding these events? We've seen them go to Bahrain before, and we all know too well what kind of following the sport has there.

We must ask ourselves a question. Is Walker telling the truth? I sincerely hope he is, but that's all it is, a hope. Are we going to place our hope in someone who's offering a propper tour at last, but has done more to ruin snooker than anyone in the past? Or, do we place our backing in someone with great business skills like Barry Hearn who has transformed Darts into the sports reincarnation of the decade? He isn't perfect, and some people find it tacky. I'd also hate to see snooker turned into a game for rowdy, drunken crowds, but I think Hearn knows better than to leave that happen. What works for Darts won't work for snooker, but I'm confident he knows that.

We've wanted change. We can have change. Will we take it?

Re: My take on this 'new word tour'

Postby Roland

The PDC wouldn't be where it is now without Phil Taylor, not Barry Hearn. Hearn is responsible for the Premier League of darts which is a pointless joke of an event, the whole aim is to make money. I know there are two sides to it i.e. it funds other events but having been to one of these fairly recently (same days as World Semi coincidentally the PL of darts was in Sheffield on the same day) it was the furthest thing from competitive sport you can get whilst being in the guise of sport.

I'm a fan of competitive sport, not showbiz. Anyway, Steve Davis coming out in support of the new tour idea has swung it for me. I respect him a lot and know he is very close to Barry Hearn and that should speak volumes.

I doubt very much that Sir Rodders would have the audacity to announce something like this if it was made up. He's rich enough, he doesn't need snooker. He could just walk away at any minute so it makes no sense why he would make something like this up just to remain in power.

Postby Wildey

the tubberlad

what we musent lose sight of this is not a world snooker plan this is in association with IMG so if this is a lie the whole sporting world is dealing with a organisation in IMG that are lier's.

im also weary of it comming true however dont think of this as a Rod Walker run thing its bigger than that.

Postby Seifer Almasy

That is a load of rubbish oneball.. Hearn is instrumental in darts, and everyone knows it. Saying 1 player is to blame is ridiculous. Arena's are full no matter what. The game is booming and has been for a while.

Hearn is a proven winner, and has his hand in every pie.

Postby Wildey

Seifer island hatah wrote:That is a load of rubbish oneball.. Hearn is instrumental in darts, and everyone knows it. Saying 1 player is to blame is ridiculous. Arena's are full no matter what. The game is booming and has been for a while.

seifer they are there to get bladdered watching darts is very much secondary for 60 even 70% thats there...

i know i have a friend whos been and it was a letdown how much of the darts you can actually see and how little people there care who wins or loses.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Their calandar is healthy, it looks good, it pulls in fans and it works. Which is far more than snooker at present. The SPA among others are very sceptical about this "new world tour" and they use the same argument I have:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/no ... ooker-tour

"It is interesting that this release was issued only six days before Sir Rodney Walker and two of his colleagues come up for re-election at the AGM. Voting intentions signified to us indicate that Sir Rodney is under serious threat," said Pat Mooney, manager of John Higgins, the world champion, and spokesman for the Snooker Players' Association, a new union which WPBSA refuses to recognise.

"It is tempting to see the content of the release as another 'jam tomorrow' approach to the players. It commits neither WPBSA nor IMG to anything. It is full of phrases like 'plans for', 'the intention is', 'the new concept envisages', 'it is anticipated'. Neither does it say that IMG would not help the WPBSA if there was a change of chairman."

Words can sound great but they can be ntended to.

Postby Roland

Seifer island hatah wrote:That is a load of rubbish oneball.. Hearn is instrumental in darts, and everyone knows it. Saying 1 player is to blame is ridiculous. Arena's are full no matter what. The game is booming and has been for a while.

Trust me on this, he keeps the Premier League like it was last season and it'll die a death and start to lose money very quickly.

And of course Phil Taylor is the reason the PDC is so big. How can you possibly think otherwise? Hearn has done his bit granted, but the appetite was always there for darts on Sky so without Hearn someone else would've done a similar job. You can't say that about Taylor.

Postby Wildey

Hearn knows that Taylor is instrumental thats why he made a move for the BDO.

Phil Taylor is 50 next year although he stil plays to a very high standard Barry Knows his shelf Life will be over sooner rather than later.

in sporting terms Phil Taylor is bigger than Muhamed Ali obviously in reality he isnt because Darts not as big or global than Boxing so losing him would be a massive hole for the PDC.

Postby Roland

Any unification of darts must take place before he retires or dies of a heart attack that's for certain.