Topic locked

Thank you

Postby Casey

In a few hours time we will see a snooker great break off for what is likely to be his last ever match as a professional. The last 3 or 4 years have been tough going for Stephen Hendry, wins against the top players have become less frequent and titles elusive.

However, for the man who turned pro in 85 and won 7 World titles he had nothing to lose. His achievements cannot be taken from him or his fans, he set the World a light on so many occasions and brought joy to all of his followers. His on table achievements are so hefty that other greats pale in comparison.

To follow him all these years, 7 world titles and numerous other majors was unbelievable, but time has came for him to go out at the top. To bow out in the top 16 is no disgrace and he was by no means a walk over that many predicted a few years ago.

His final frame victory over Joe Perry in the first round may seem insignificant, however it epitomises Hendry’s career; this is someone who fights to the end and is able to raise his game when it mattered. That is Hendry all over and he built his career around that.

His fans could ask for no more, the records he holds are unbelievable, I have no doubt that at some stage a player will come along who will be even better than he was, that’s sport. Until then though, Hendry snookers greatest will live long in the memory. Thank you for it all Stephen.

Re: Thank you

Postby Casey

wheelsofsteel wrote:He's only retiring (if he does).

he hasn't dropped dead

If he dropped dead it would deserve more than a 5 paragraph tribute.

Postby Tubberlad

Fantastic article Case...I have a feeling the Great One may be a tough man to take down in potentially his last professional game.

I did not grow up watching Hendry at his peak, but he won the first World Championship I watched, and is one of the reasons I love this game.

Forever a legend.

Postby Casey

Tubberlad wrote:Fantastic article Case...I have a feeling the Great One may be a tough man to take down in potentially his last professional game.

I did not grow up watching Hendry at his peak, but he won the first World Championship I watched, and is one of the reasons I love this game.

Forever a legend.

:hatoff:

Thanks Tubber, great to hear from fans of different players.

I expect Selby to win easily but to be in the second round is a bonus.

Hendry the great he will remain :bowdown:

Postby wheelsofsteel

Get the impression people will make more of this news than Hendry himself ever would

But don't worry he'll be back at the Crucible to sit in the box for the last five days - if he isn't in the final

Postby Casey

Smart wrote:yeah thanks for the mammories Hendo :wretch:

You love him really :-)

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

But Hendry isn't dropping out of the Top 16 (Casey can give a thank you to Rory for that) and I seriously doubt if he will retire.

What odds on Hendry, White, Davis & O'Sullivan all retiring together at some point.

Postby Smart

Casey wrote:

I heard a rumour he is being lined up for an advert campaign by a leading brand in skin care. :gag:

Postby DavieMac

:baby:

Postby Casey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:But Hendry isn't dropping out of the Top 16 (Casey can give a thank you to Rory for that) and I seriously doubt if he will retire.

What odds on Hendry, White, Davis & O'Sullivan all retiring together at some point.

He said in his interview it looks likely. Of course he might no retire, however he said he won't play in the PTC's and he knows he can't maintain a ranking without entering them.

Postby Bourne

I'll never confess to being a fan of his but jeez I have the utmost respect for all he's achieved in the game, 7 world titles will surely not be beaten for many many generations and he did it all with class and humility too. I'm glad that he's getting a chance to retire on his terms, not out the back door of some qualifier <ok>

Postby ScottCorno

Casey wrote:In a few hours time we will see a snooker great break off for what is likely to be his last ever match as a professional. The last 3 or 4 years have been tough going for Stephen Hendry, wins against the top players have become less frequent and titles elusive.

However, for the man who turned pro in 85 and won 7 World titles he had nothing to lose. His achievements cannot be taken from him or his fans, he set the World a light on so many occasions and brought joy to all of his followers. His on table achievements are so hefty that other greats pale in comparison.

To follow him all these years, 7 world titles and numerous other majors was unbelievable, but time has came for him to go out at the top. To bow out in the top 16 is no disgrace and he was by no means a walk over that many predicted a few years ago.

His final frame victory over Joe Perry in the first round may seem insignificant, however it epitomises Hendry’s career; this is someone who fights to the end and is able to raise his game when it mattered. That is Hendry all over and he built his career around that.

His fans could ask for no more, the records he holds are unbelievable, I have no doubt that at some stage a player will come along who will be even better than he was, that’s sport. Until then though, Hendry snookers greatest will live long in the memory. Thank you for it all Stephen.

:goodpost:

Postby wheelsofsteel

Smart wrote:
Casey wrote:

I heard a rumour he is being lined up for an advert campaign by a leading brand in skin care. :gag:

Think he lost out to Ding on that one some time ago

Postby GJ

COME ON HENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby Casey

wheelsofsteel wrote:Get the impression people will make more of this news than Hendry himself ever would

But don't worry he'll be back at the Crucible to sit in the box for the last five days - if he isn't in the final

Yea in the commentary box with all the other has been's as he said <laugh>

Postby wheelsofsteel

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:But Hendry isn't dropping out of the Top 16 (Casey can give a thank you to Rory for that) and I seriously doubt if he will retire.

to a Chinese snooker home

Postby Lucky

Well done Case, this articles made 606 by way of that most desperate of individuals who craves our attention for some reason........another few weeks and finally :win: :win: :win:

Postby Casey

Lucky wrote:Well done Case, this articles made 606 by way of that most desperate of individuals who craves our attention for some reason........another few weeks and finally :win: :win: :win:

<laugh> <laugh>

Hilarious that a thread was created in my honour by someone I will never converse with and opinions could not mean any less.

Postby Lucky

Casey wrote:
Lucky wrote:Well done Case, this articles made 606 by way of that most desperate of individuals who craves our attention for some reason........another few weeks and finally :win: :win: :win:

<laugh> <laugh>

Hilarious that a thread was created in my honour by someone I will never converse with and opinions could not mean any less.

Laughing. Stock. :chuckle:

Postby Casey

Fitting opening piece by the BEEB :bowdown:

Postby Caledonian Craig

Stephen Hendry dropped a massive hint he'd retire even if he won the title so we could be seeing a legend bowing out in a couple of days time. A shame that somebody feels the need to post such vitriol about him on 606 right now.

Postby Sickpotter

I don't think any player has ever retired as the WC, it's one of those titles that demands defending IMO.

Postby Casey

Sickpotter wrote:I don't think any player has ever retired as the WC, it's one of those titles that demands defending IMO.

Joe Davis.

Postby PLtheRef

Casey wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:I don't think any player has ever retired as the WC, it's one of those titles that demands defending IMO.

Joe Davis.

Yep, one final was a handicap when he played Fred.

Playing 71 frames, Fred beat Joe 36-35, the handicap was in an envelope and revealed, - as Joe was 12 years older, Fred had to concede a two frame start, meaning Joe won 37-36

Postby wheelsofsteel

That would be a fitting tribute, retiring as world champion. Should have done it then in 1999