Post a reply

Hendry Sets A New Record

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Sorry for starting a new thread but the one from last year was locked but I had to mention Hendry's win over Joe Perry means he's played tweleve matches at The Cruicible that have gone to a final frame decider

John Parrot held the previous record of 10 that Hendry surpassed last year . Hendo might not get the tournaments nowadays but he's still capble of keeping an audience on the edge of their seat :bowdown:

Somewhat typically I was working so managed to miss the match :grrr:

Re: Hendry Sets A New Record

Postby Bourne

His physical game might be slowly falling apart but mentally he's still a machine, 90%+ of players fear the worst when they get close to losing but Hendo just embraces it like a new challenge

Postby Witz78

i thought itd actually be more than 12 to be honest

meanwhile Bond holds the record for winning the most number of deciding frames ever in the Sky Shootout.

anyway talking of Bond, Hendry and deciding frames...........

Postby Witz78

jojo wrote:wild holds the record for making the most posts on any internet forum in history

rubbish, everyone knows this man does :bowdown:

Postby Casey

Hendry will retire at the end of the season if he loses to Selby (which he will) I am delighted for him that he won today and that I was front row in the deciding frame :happy:

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:Hendry will retire at the end of the season if he loses to Selby (which he will) I am delighted for him that he won today and that I was front row in the deciding frame :happy:

Nice one <ok>

I'm a Ronnie O'Sullivan fan, so Hendry was never likely to be one of my favourites, but the man is a total legend, and I'm very grateful to have seen him play at all, even if it wasn't at his amazing peak. I'll be sad to see the guy goes should he lose to Selby, the game will forever be in debt to him. :-)

Hendry :hatoff:

Postby Witz78

Yeh i did hear this from a few reliable sources over the weekend too but thought id keep schtum but Griffiths accidently let the cat out of the bag during the commentary in the final frame when it looked like Perry might steal it.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:Yeh i did hear this from a few reliable sources over the weekend too but thought id keep schtum but Griffiths accidently let the cat out of the bag during the commentary in the final frame when it looked like Perry might steal it.

I didn't hear the commentary but there you go. He has said he won't play in the PTC's so he knows he can't get a quick return into the top 16.

Postby Bourne

No offence to Perry but I think Hendry losing to Selby at the Crucible as a curtain-raiser wouldn't be a bad way to go out at all, it's kind of a free match for him.

Postby jojo

it sad when he formally retires but if i was a hendry fan id much rather he retires the way he been playing lately getting beat by players he would beat with his eyes closed in his prime

similarly without sounding rude i wish jimmy retired long ago as a fan you dont want to see your idols drag on when they just five percent of the player they were similar with davis

parrot did the right thing retiring a few years ago but i couldnt give a flying buck about him he not in the same class as the others

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:No offence to Perry but I think Hendry losing to Selby at the Crucible as a curtain-raiser wouldn't be a bad way to go out at all, it's kind of a free match for him.

Very true. I expect Hendry to play well in the first session only for his standard to get steadily worse and Selby to win 13-7/8

Postby Mal

I was thinking that myself tonight that he would have overtaken Parrott now: I've obviously missed one, but in chronological order here's 11 deciders:
1987 Johnson lost 13-12 (came back from 12-8 down)
1988 White lost 13-12 (cracking standard - perhaps the best game seen at crucible at that time 26 breaks over 50 in the match)
1989 Wilkinson won 10-9 (easy to forget what a good player the world matchplay champ was)
1994 White won 18-17 (missed black anyone)
2002 Doherty won 13-12 (doherty had 8 cracking matches at crucible in 2002 and 2003
2002 Ebdon lost 18-17
2004 Pinches won 13-12 (Pinches beat White in Rd 1 and this shows with all respect shows how hendry had slipped)
2006 Bond lost 10-9 (Bond in off on final black meant a respot, but poor safety from the maestro)
2008 Allen won 10-9 from 6-3 needing two snooker and 9-7 down - Allen went inoff potting a red at 9-9 and the maestro knocked in a century)
2010 Zhang won (from 9-7 down)
2011 Perry won

Legend :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:No offence to Perry but I think Hendry losing to Selby at the Crucible as a curtain-raiser wouldn't be a bad way to go out at all, it's kind of a free match for him.

just dont write the old man off just yet i just fancy a little twist in the tail there.

but if it happens and he loses id rather see him go at the place hes played the most,won the most,entertained the most and not in a cubicle at the academy.

Thank you for the Memories but thats all there is of the player you once was lets Finish Where it began in 1986 <ok>

Postby Witz78

jojo wrote:it sad when he formally retires but if i was a hendry fan id much rather he retires the way he been playing lately getting beat by players he would beat with his eyes closed in his prime

similarly without sounding rude i wish jimmy retired long ago as a fan you dont want to see your idols drag on when they just five percent of the player they were similar with davis

parrot did the right thing retiring a few years ago but i couldnt give a flying buck about him he not in the same class as the others

Parrot only retired cos he had dopped off the tour

he hung around in the lower end of the rankings for a good while before that when it was clear he was a goner.

At least Jimmy and Davis have still been giving their fans glimmers of hope and some of the old magic from time to time, plus they love the game that much and would be lost without it so hard to see either of them jacking it in whilst there still on tour.

Postby jojo

i understand its pretty much their life what they been doing for the last 30 40 years or so since they were little im not telling them to retire i dont have that right only they do

but for me its painful to see jimmy play only at five percent of what he once was and i can only imagine what people like case and wild must be thinking when they watch hendry these days

take the match against perry for example the way perry played hendry of fifteen years ago would have beaten him quite easily it likely to have been a rout however hendry missing all sorts scoring the occasional big breaks

it up to davis and white when they retire but my gut feeling is i wish jimmy does what hendrys going to do ie retire but jimmy being jimmy i hoenstly dont think hell know what else to do with his life that partly why hes hanging on

Postby wheelsofsteel

Witz78 wrote:Yeh i did hear this from a few reliable sources over the weekend too but thought id keep schtum but Griffiths accidently let the cat out of the bag during the commentary in the final frame when it looked like Perry might steal it.

Hendry says as much himself BEFORE the tournament started.

I think he is a reliable source http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/snoo ... -23065226/

Postby Wildey

wheelsofsteel wrote:

I think he is a reliable source http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/snoo ... -23065226/

rofl

unlike some player i can mention when he comes out and say im retiring he will be.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Wild wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

rofl

unlike some player i can mention when he comes out and say im retiring he will be.

:hatoff:

Postby Witz78

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Wild wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

rofl

:hatoff:

Hendrys been talking of retiring for a while too so whats your point caller? :excite:

Postby wheelsofsteel

So why stay quiet when you heard from your reliable source (Seifer?)

And how then can Griffiths let the cat out of the bag?

Was only pointing out Hendry's own words, not hearsay or Taffyspeak

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Mal wrote:I was thinking that myself tonight that he would have overtaken Parrott now: I've obviously missed one, but in chronological order here's 11 deciders:
1988 White lost 13-12 (cracking standard - perhaps the best game seen at crucible at that time 26 breaks over 50 in the match)
1989 Wilkinson won 10-9 (easy to forget what a good player the world matchplay champ was)
2002 Doherty won 13-12 (doherty had 8 cracking matches at crucible in 2002 and 2003
2002 Ebdon lost 18-17
2004 Pinches won 13-12 (Pinches beat White in Rd 1 and this shows with all respect shows how hendry had slipped)
2006 Bond lost 10-9 (Bond in off on final black meant a respot, but poor safety from the maestro)
2008 Allen won 10-9 from 6-3 needing two snooker and 9-7 down - Allen went inoff potting a red at 9-9 and the maestro knocked in a century)
2011 Perry won

Gary Wilkinson in 1989 . Hendry found himself 3-6 behind and made something like three centuries to eventually win 10-9

Edited to add oh you mentioned that one Mal . I'm trouble trying to remember what the other one was ?

Or have I made a total buffoon of myself ?

Postby Caledonian Craig

Hendry will retire at the end of the season. It seemed pretty clear when he did an interview with Hazel the other day following his win over Perry. He gives varying reasons such as he wants to spend more time with his family which is understandable after twenty odd years on the circuit. It is only the majors he gets himself really motivated for and finds it tough raising his game for the lesser tournaments. A number of the lesser tournaments he'd want to miss out but such is the new ranking system that just isn't possible and he doesn't have the wish to be playing in cubicles in qualifiers so believes now is the time to call it a day however he does in Sheffield.

People will argue but personally he is the greatest player of all time as his records and titles show. Also he re-invented the game somewhat as he introduced the attacking shot of screwing into the pack of reds to break build. Thanks for the memories Stephen and enjoy your retirement.

Postby wheelsofsteel

When they guy comes out and says he needs to win the tournament to be back next year, before he's played a match, and before he talked to Hazel Nut, I would say it's pretty definate.

Or does no-one believe what they read in papers

Postby Sickpotter

Mal wrote:I was thinking that myself tonight that he would have overtaken Parrott now: I've obviously missed one, but in chronological order here's 11 deciders:
2002 Ebdon lost 18-17
2011 Perry won

How on earth did people forget his final frame max against ROS in the LCC? Add another to that count :mosh2:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:i thought itd actually be more than 12 to be honest

meanwhile Bond holds the record for winning the most number of deciding frames ever in the Sky Shootout.

anyway talking of Bond, Hendry and deciding frames...........

There's an internet boxing forum where I've logged up 40,000 posts. It ranks you in order of the posts you've made, and I'm not even top-10. One guy has a couple of thousand under the 100,000 mark.