Topic locked

Big pockets

Postby vodkadiet

The pockets are still taking balls that shouldn't go in. The commentators(with the exception of Terry Griffiths and Willie Thorne)keep waxing lyrical about the tightness of the pockets, but the truth is plain to see. Don't be brainwashed by that fat, bloke four eyed bloke from Northern Ireland, who keeps talking about golf.

Re: Big pockets

Postby gallantrabbit

Yes there is no reson on earth why they should have made the pockets give more and the cloths faster, but they have. I hate to see balls go in that I know shouldn't. Should go back to early 90s standard.

Postby John From London Town

I wouldn't say they are big, but they certainly ain't overtly tight.

Your right about the early 90's gallant. In the qualifiers on the BCE then Riley tables, they were seriously tight. When I spoke to the table fitters back then, they told me that they made them bigger for the TV stages.

When I was playing in the 6 Reds, the tables used then were the same ones used for the World Qualifiers held in prestatyn earlier that year & even them pockets were bigger that the ones I played on.

As said, I'm not saying they're big, but they're certainly not as tight as the boys behind the microphones are making out.

Postby gallantrabbit

You're right John. I didn't play in the qualies but I saw a lot of snooker up in Blackpool and the slightest flicker in the pocket and the ball stayed out.
Snooker is a tough game and I don't think any tables are 'easy' but there are still a good number of balls that shouldn't be going in, that do.
I just don't think there's any need for it. These players are seriously good. They can handle tough conditions and we as spectators will still get a spectacle.

Postby PLtheRef

Personally I think the corner pockets are tighter this year, but the middle pockets are far more generous

Postby randam05

They look tighter yes.

I played on the star tables at gloucester quite a bit now and I can assure you they are tighter then 90% of club tables <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

randam05 wrote:They look tighter yes.

I played on the star tables at gloucester quite a bit now and I can assure you they are tighter then 90% of club tables <ok>

Except yours of course ;-)