Topic locked

O'Sullivan vs Murphy - who reaches the last-eight ?

Poll ended at 23 Apr 2011

Ronnie O'Sullivan
50%
Shaun Murphy
50%

Total votes : 20

World Championships 2011: R2 - O'Sullivan vs Murphy

Postby Bourne

What a blockbuster this could be, the match of the round (no not Trump, I am human :D )

Not faced in a main-tour ranker since 2008, but shared a Premier League final victory each in the last couple of years. Both cantered through their R1 matches against Dale and Campbell respectively, a mere 3 frames handed to their opponents.

Is it too simplistic to say this match completely depends on which O'Sullivan turns up ? Murphy will surely keep him under more pressure than Dale, and one swallow doesn't make a summer, O'Sullivan was superb in the last several frames against Dale but he's never lost his ability, just a bit of confidence, and a slow start against Murphy could see him lose that momentum quickly.

How do you see this match going ? It will begin on Saturday 23 April.

Re: World Championships 2011: R2 - O'Sullivan vs Murphy

Postby Wildey

this match will depend on the first 4 frames Ronnie needs to get off to a flyer or the doubts will creep in and it could be a murphy rout.

Ronnie desperately needs a quick start.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:this match will depend on the first 4 frames Ronnie needs to get off to a flyer or the doubts will creep in and it could be a murphy rout.

hum... Ronnie trailed his opponent 1-4 in a certain semi in 2008 :chin:

Postby rebecca

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:this match will depend on the first 4 frames Ronnie needs to get off to a flyer or the doubts will creep in and it could be a murphy rout.

I was gonna mention that too!

Postby SnookerFan

The same is true of Murphy. Ronnie is such a great front-runner, that if he whips off 4-0 in the first mini-session, Murphy won't win despite the length of the match.

I'd also earmarked a strong start as important for both men. I feel Ronnie is playing so well, that to beat him you're going to need to get off to a flyer, and be able to hold yourself together. I believe Shaun Murphy can do that, as can John Higgins who is a potential quarter finalist. It's possible Williams might, should he get through to the semis, but I'd have more faith in Higgins.

To be honest, this is a big match. It'll tell us more about Ronnie's mindset then the Dale match, who all but handed the match to Ronnie. Shaun Murphy is a world-class opponent. And a week ago everybody was saying that it would be a billion-to-one shot for Ronnie to get past the second round. Should Ronnie win it, especially in the style that he did against Dale, then he'll more then likely go all the way. His confidence will be bursting.

Postby SnookerFan

rebecca wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm going to be the only one on here who wants Murphy to win. <laugh>

Why is that?

I don't like Ronnie, if I'm honest. I have got fed up with his silliness over the years, and think the game would be a lot more enjoyable if he wasn't in it.

Postby SnookerFan

Rocket_ron wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:This tournament has got Ronnie O'Sullivan stamped all over it.

enough of the jinxing ffs

I really don't see it as jinxing. He's the one player I don't want to see in the final, when I'm there. So it's a cast-iron certainty that he will be.

Postby jojo

i will just pretty much repeat what i said on another thred

the bbc pundits will do everything they can to hype up the match no doubt about it however ive a feeling it going to be a big let down i can see the match pattern emerging now

murphy will try to out pot o sullivan try to outscore him play him at his own game not bother with safety too much and o sullivan will show him how its done properly make no mistake he will be up for this like he always is against selby in the big matches because he doesnt like these two murphys game will fall right into o sullivans hands he not bright enough to adapt his game against ronnie

murphy will be pumped up thinking i will show everyone im better than ronnie yet that will just feed into ronnies hands

ronnie will win this by four or five frames the second session he will produce his best snooker and pull away

Postby Sickpotter

Monique wrote:

We've seen Ronnie walk out of a match from a similar scoreline too so very much in the air. ;-)

IMO Murphy will be confident and very tough for ROS to shake. Close match, could go either way with both players on form.

Postby SnookerFan

Froggle wrote:I think Smurphy is going to win. I don't want him to, but Ronnie's just too unpredictable and inconsistent. I think it's gonna be close though, 13-10 to Smurphy maybe.

I'm opposite. I think Ronnie is going to win, but I don't want him to.