Topic locked

I've got a nagging feeling about Ronnie...

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie has played like a fecking eejit this season, granted. But I have a nagging feeling he might do well in this tournament. The logic might be a bit weird, but so is Ronnie's mind-set. Ronnie likes the big occasion, the big challenge and the lively crowds. He finds the game so boring at times, because he's so good. But even for Ronnie, there's nothing easy against a potential Murphy, Higgins, Williams run. And the concept of playing Murphy, and shutting his gob could appeal to him. Especially on the biggest stage of them all. In front of big crowds.

And, as pointed out in another thread, he'll be playing almost every day. None of his hated waiting around between matches.

I know predicting Ronnie is like predicting whether it's going to be sunny in exactly 100 years time, but I just got a feeling about this... He might do better then he has all season.

Re: I've got a nagging feeling about Ronnie...

Postby Bourne

It's a weird one with Ronnie he's been losing a lot of matches this year against 'weaker' opponents and we haven't seen him play the likes of Higgins/Ding/Williams/Selby in a ranker at all, only that World Open final against Robbo where he got absolutely tonked by an in-form opponent. But in the past he's tended to rise to the challenge of the big opponent and as you say he's got no shortage of that challenge in his draw, Dale/Murphy/Higgins/Williams just to make a final is daunting to almost anyone but I think you're right, Ronnie will fancy this.

Postby SnookerFan

I think he cares not about his ranking position, but he does seem to care that people have written him off. I can see Ronnie winning this tournament, and then doing nothing for the first six months of the next season. Such is Ronnie.

Postby Wildey

i would not put him one of the favrites though you got 6 players above him at the moment i know bookies has him well up but they are just protecting their cash knowing what he is capable of.

Higgins
Williams
Robertson
Selby
Ding
Murphy
then Ronnie.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i would not put him one of the favrites though you got 6 players above him at the moment i know bookies has him well up but they are just protecting their cash knowing what he is capable of.

Higgins
Williams
Robertson
Selby
Ding
Murphy
then Ronnie.

I think Ronnie will surprise a few people this year. I hope he doesn't, but I have a feeling he'll go far this year.

Postby Black2white

SnookerFan wrote:I think Ronnie will surprise a few people this year. I hope he doesn't, but I have a feeling he'll go far this year.
[/quote]
:idea: I have the same feeling SFan
he hasn't performed at all this season and the worlds is just the right time when he jumps out of nowhere
and his first round draw helps too (no disrespect to Dale, but he'll have too much to do in that match :roll: )

Postby randam05

I have a similar feeling too SF. Soon as you mentioned it briefly in another thread a long time ago, it has been playing on me. But the problem would be higgins, we know how amazing he is.

But something i dont agree on SF, is that id actually like him to do well <ok> Its just a shame dale drew him first round :(

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:I have a similar feeling too SF. Soon as you mentioned it briefly in another thread a long time ago, it has been playing on me. But the problem would be higgins, we know how amazing he is.

But something i dont agree on SF, is that id actually like him to do well <ok> Its just a shame dale drew him first round :(

My main problem with Ronnie is the constant v-signs he shows to his fans out there. From deliberately trying to deny the paying public a 147 on a whim, to walking out of matches half-way through as he's played a bad shot, to continually and consistenly pulling out of tournaments without any reason other then he can't be bothered to go, to referring to the World Championships as 'boring'. I am mellowing on Ronnie though. Whereas I used to be angry that he'd treat a sport I love with such contempt, I know just find it boring and tiresome.

If fans want to love a guy, who so constantly acts like he hates them back, then that's their right. But his personality puts him off me. Which is a shame as his play is so phenomenal.

Postby gallantrabbit

I don't think Ronnie has it in him at the moment. He's the type of player (the only) who can turn it on pretty quick, but even for that he has to want it and I don't think he does right now. Shame cos the game is fairly buzzing and any extra impetus from him would help further.
He probably won't go to China, (although if he doesn't I can't see him sustaining his Chinese sponsors) and he's going to be woefully short of match practice, which even for someone of his sublime talent will mean that he won't get much further than past Dale methinks.

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I've got a nagging feeling about Ronnie...

Rest easy bud, Ronnie couldnt win a raffle this year <laugh>

Ronnie couldn't....

Ronnie won't....

Two different things.

Make no mistake, if Ronnie wanted this trophy, it would be his. The real question is about his dedication, not his skills

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:

<laugh> <laugh>

i wont say he wont because hes pure quality but the invincibility he seemed to possess a few years ago isnt there and players look forward to beating him these days so he isnt as intimidating as he once was hes just in a pack of players capable.

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

Ronnie couldn't....

Ronnie won't....

Two different things.

Make no mistake, if Ronnie wanted this trophy, it would be his. The real question is about his dedication, not his skills

ronnie worshipper :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:ronnie worshipper :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Not worship. Personally, I think when Ronnie talked about his cockerel in a press conference, he might as well have been talking about himself, he's such a cockerel.

But I aint one to pretend somebody is rubbish, just because I don't like them. He's one of the best ever. There's only Stephen Hendry that you can even debate is greater then Ronnie. Personality-wise I feel Ronnie is a colossal idiot, but that doesn't mean I don't respect his talent.

Postby onlyevertonjon

I wouldnt write off his career, like some have, just yet but Ronnie won't be close to winning this year.

You have to have some semblence of form to win the WC and at least be match sharp, two things Ronnie hasn't shown since September. We're talking here of winning 71 frames in arguably the hardest half of a draw there has ever been.

I want him to win it more than any other player, but I can't even seen the semis.