Topic locked

So, what matches are people watching?

Postby SnookerFan

For those others of us that aren't going to be stepping out on the hallowed turf this weekend, I wondered what matches were you thinking of choosing on TV.
I know Mr. Wild will have one match on television, and another match with his laptop on, in an attempt to multi-task and watch them all. What about everybody else? Do you plan what matches to watch, or do you choose a session that looks good and watch that on impulse discuss.

Re: So, what matches are people watching?

Postby SnookerFan

I'm having trouble deciding. I'm giving this consideration;

Day 1
10am
Jamie Cope v Andrew Pagett (1st seesion)
2.30pm
Mark Williams v Ryan Day (1st Session)
7pm
Shaun Murphy v Marcus Campbell (1st Session)

Day 2
Sunday April 17
10am
Jamie Cope v Andrew Pagett (2nd Session Played to a finish)
2.30pm
Shaun Murphy v Marcus Campbell (2nd Session Played to a finish)
7pm
Mark Williams v Ryan Day (2nd Session Played to a Finish)

Benefits;

I like watching full matches. This gives me three full matches, without having to watch one session and not see the end.
I get to see Mark Williams vs Ryan Day. A match I'm looking forward to, especially as a fan of Mark Williams.
I do actually enjoy watching Shaun Murphy play, as long as I don't have to listen to him talk afterwards.
I get to see what Andrew Pagett brings, as an unknown quantity.

Drawbacks;

I have a friend coming to watch some on Saturday. I don't think they like Murphy. I'm not sure they are that keen on Robertson either. So I may have to compromise.
I am keen to see Ding play, and Hendry and would miss their sessions on Sunday.

Other considerations;

I would probably be the only person on the Island not watching Robertson vs Trump. A bit of a drawback as it could be a good match, but it could a bonus too. The match has been so hyped it could be a disappointment. And even if it's excellent, I could act as a much-needed correspondent to the Island on what was happening on Table 2.

Postby Wildey

well im a bit of a flicker but i now got a laptop so i got one match on that.

first day its pretty obvious whitch matches are the no 1 matches each session

Robertson v Trump 10am and 7pm

Williams v Day 2.30pm

but im also looking forward to see how Pagett will play.

on the face of it that should be 10-2 or 10-3 cope based on Pagett inexperiance at venues never mind the Crucible..but its never that simple.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:well im a bit of a flicker but i now got a laptop so i got one match on that.

first day its pretty obvious whitch matches are the no 1 matches each session

Robertson v Trump 10am and 7pm

Williams v Day 2.30pm

but im also looking forward to see how Pagett will play.

on the face of it that should be 10-2 or 10-3 cope based on Pagett inexperiance at venues never mind the Crucible..but its never that simple.

:limp:

Postby SnookerFan

I tend to be the opposite of a flicker. I tend to want to be involved in a match, and when I am involved I want to watch the whole thing. I feel cheated if I have to miss the afternoon session of a final, even if I get to see the evening session end. To me, the whole point of watching snooker is the drama builds, the tension builds and it's like watching a play or a film rather then a contest. You benefit most when you watch the whole thing. The only times I tend to flick is if there is something happening on the opposite table that is massive, or history making. Like a player is on for a 147 or a very low ranked player is about to cause a shock upset. And even then, it'd probably have to be a Ronnie/Higgins losing to an unranked player type of an upset. <laugh>

This strategy above gives me three full matches, the end of the Stephen Maguire match on Monday. Then I get to watch Mark Allen vs Matthew Stevens on Tuesday and Wednesday. From Good Friday, I have the rest of the time off work, so can watch to my heart's content.

But as said, friends are visiting to watch some, things happen. Plans change. The Crucible is like a big blank canvas at the start each year, with new exciting memories waiting to be painted on, and change by the day. :bowdown:

Postby jojo

wild you thick rubbish you got a laptop why not make the best use of it like i do when it come to the snooker i can watch both matches on at the same time by having two windows open and halving them so both matches are on your screen at the same time one is obviously muted and leave the commentary on for the main match

that saves people from having to flick between two matches

Postby jojo

i didnt mean to have a go at wild it just you would have thought someone who spends all their time on a snooker internet forum would have been able to suss out that you can have two matches on your computer screen at the same time instead of watching one on tv and the other on laptop

that what ill be doing ill have both matches on at the same time with commentary only on the main match ie on saturday the robertson and williams matches

Postby SnookerFan

I'm still going backwards and forwards. I'll change my mind 100 times before Saturday. I may go Robertson vs Trump, Williams vs Day and the two opening sessions of the Ding match and Hendry match.

Or I might stick to the plan above.

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:i didnt mean to have a go at wild it just you would have thought someone who spends all their time on a snooker internet forum would have been able to suss out that you can have two matches on your computer screen at the same time instead of watching one on tv and the other on laptop

that what ill be doing ill have both matches on at the same time with commentary only on the main match ie on saturday the robertson and williams matches

i prefere to watch one on a big TV rather than 2 small puny 6inch pictures lol

Postby vodkadiet

The evening session will be very short in the Robertson vs Trump match so it will be Murphy vs Campbell all the way for me on Saturday night.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:The evening session will be very short in the Robertson vs Trump match so it will be Murphy vs Campbell all the way for me on Saturday night.

Is that an attempt at a bold prediction?

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The evening session will be very short in the Robertson vs Trump match so it will be Murphy vs Campbell all the way for me on Saturday night.

Is that an attempt at a bold prediction?

10-0 Robbo.

Postby Smart

I will be home all day Saturday and will be watching Trump/Robbo on the 42 incher, with Cope/Pagett on the lappie, whilst offering my unique brand of comedy and intellect.

What I would like to add at this stage is:

If you are not watching the Trump/Robbo match then you are a complete mug. I would go on to say that everyone should send you abusive PMs and generally tourist you off for not watching the biggest match in Crucible Round 1 history EVER !!!

Up to you pal. :win:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:I will be home all day Saturday and will be watching Trump/Robbo on the 42 incher, with Cope/Pagett on the lappie, whilst offering my unique brand of comedy and intellect.

If you are not watching the Trump/Robbo match then you are a complete mug. I would go on to say that everyone should send you abusive PMs and generally tourist you off for not watching the biggest match in Crucible Round 1 history EVER !!!

Thanks for that. I'll bear your advice in mind. :wave:

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:I will be home all day Saturday and will be watching Trump/Robbo on the 42 incher, with Cope/Pagett on the lappie, whilst offering my unique brand of comedy and intellect.

OK :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

OK :hatoff:

<doh>

Postby Rocket_ron

i have boldened & stared my interest

Saturday 16th of April

10am

Neil Robertson v Judd Trump *
Jamie Cope v Andrew Pagett

2.30pm

Allister Carter v Dave Harold
Mark Williams v Ryan Day *

7pm

Neil Robertson v Judd Trump *
Shaun Murphy v Marcus Campbell