Topic locked

Betfred.Com World Championship Day 1 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Crucible Theatre, Sheffield 16th of April~2nd of May

So here we go the start of 17 days of Tough Hard Snooker at the Famous Crucible Theatre to determine who is worthy to wear the crown of World Champion and follow in the Footsteps of Neil Robertson,John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

So who do you think will be the Winner ?

Follow it here on Snooker Island <ok>

DRAW and SCORES

WORLD SNOOKER

BBC & LIVE STREAMING

LIVE SCORING

PREDICTION CONTEST

10am

Neil Robertson v Judd Trump
Jamie Cope v Andrew Pagett

2.30pm

Allister Carter v Dave Harold
Mark Williams v Ryan Day

7pm

Neil Robertson v Judd Trump
Shaun Murphy v Marcus Campbell

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship Day 1 Discussion !!

Postby GJ

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
ROBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby SnookerFan

What do people think will happen with Cope vs Paggett? Conventional wisdom is that Paggett will be nervous, and not get over the line. And I think that should prove correct.

However, Cope feels nerves a ridiculous amount himself, so I wonder if this could be another Hendry vs Zhanger match, where the top-16 player struggles, but has experience crossing the line first.

Or will it be more of a case of Matthew Stevens vs Joe Delaney?

Postby SnookerFan

Has anybody noticed this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 129894.stm

The BBC Website gives listing of when the matches are on, including when their red button coverage starts. But, oddly, half way through the week it stops including the times the red button is on.

I wonder why. Probably just laziness.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Cope v Pagett will be on the other table when I go, Cope for me is a player what just gets down and hits his shots which in last year's case against Carter, just wasn't good enough. His name just fits the bill for me he just can't cope on the big stage, but Pagett is unknown and I reckon if nerves don't get the better of him, he could well beat Jamie. Just hoping he performs and doesn't do what Tom Ford did last year, and that's put in a horrible first session on his debut.

Postby SnookerFan

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Cope v Pagett will be on the other table when I go, Cope for me is a player what just gets down and hits his shots which in last year's case against Carter, just wasn't good enough. His name just fits the bill for me he just can't cope on the big stage, but Pagett is unknown and I reckon if nerves don't get the better of him, he could well beat Jamie. Just hoping he performs and doesn't do what Tom Ford did last year, and that's put in a horrible first session on his debut.

I see what you did there.

Postby Wildey

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Cope v Pagett will be on the other table when I go, Cope for me is a player what just gets down and hits his shots which in last year's case against Carter, just wasn't good enough. His name just fits the bill for me he just can't cope on the big stage, but Pagett is unknown and I reckon if nerves don't get the better of him, he could well beat Jamie. Just hoping he performs and doesn't do what Tom Ford did last year, and that's put in a horrible first session on his debut.

well some has gone for pagett in prediction which is surprising. normally when a debutant that's never played outside of cubicles before qualifies for the crucible the smart money is on the seed but cope just not held in high esteem as his undoubted talent should have.

Postby SnookerFan

Actually, I was at Ali Carter vs Jamie Cope last year, and I don't remember much about it at all. I had even forgotten Ali Carter had played Cope, to be honest. This may be an indication that Cope played woefully, losing 10-4. Or it might just be that I'd watched four best-of-19-frame matches over three days, and my mind had turned to jelly by the end.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:How would a first round defeat affect Robbo?

same as any other top player i would imagine

Postby Snooker Overdrive

fact is: only two defending champions got defeated in the first round since 1986: Graeme Dott 2006 and Stephen Hendry 2000, we all know that these two players took serious damage from those losses.

I think a first round defeat would be a real knock for Robbo, he has to avoid a defeat at all costs. Otherwise he could be in real trouble next season.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Yep Carter v Cope was on the other table when I went to see Selby v Doherty, Cope just didn't turn up on that occasion and in all fairness Carter made it look so easy. I can see why people have gone for Pagett in predictions, because they know Jamie is one the weaker seeds in the draw, and the way he plays can cost him matches. He did well at the Hainan Classic but no offence to that tournament, it's nothing like the main tournaments abroad such as Shanghai, China Open and now the German Masters. Pagett could well beat Jamie but I believe this will be a horrible match, too many mistakes for me could occur in this one.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:fact is: only two defending champions got defeated in the first round since 1986: Graeme Dott 2006 and Stephen Hendry 2000, we all know that these two players took serious damage from those losses.

I think a first round defeat would be a real knock for Robbo, he has to avoid a defeat at all costs. Otherwise he could be in real trouble next season.

Why so? He's not struggling that much with the rankings, is he?

Postby SnookerFan

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Yep Carter v Cope was on the other table when I went to see Selby v Doherty, Cope just didn't turn up on that occasion and in all fairness Carter made it look so easy. I can see why people have gone for Pagett in predictions, because they know Jamie is one the weaker seeds in the draw, and the way he plays can cost him matches. He did well at the Hainan Classic but no offence to that tournament, it's nothing like the main tournaments abroad such as Shanghai, China Open and now the German Masters. Pagett could well beat Jamie but I believe this will be a horrible match, too many mistakes for me could occur in this one.

May end up being a really nervy match, to be honest. For different reasons to Robertsons vs Trump. We've been hyping up the Champ vs Champ aspect of that match, and the person who wins that will be the person who handles the expectations more.

Cope on the other hand struggles with form at the best of time. And here at The Crucible it is the best of time. Will he struggle against the unknown quantity? Or take heart that he has a 'safe' first round draw. Also, will Pagett struggle at the grandaddy of them all, or will he figure he has nothing to lose? Unfortunately, for Pags, I predict the former.

Postby Wildey

Loosing first Round and Losing first day is gutting.

this is a tournament or so im being told players prepare for since may previous year so to lose first match is Gutting who ever you are Defending Champ or Rookie.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

I agree I think it will be nervy, Cope always misses shots does the odd good break but his far too inconsistent in his matches aswell as on the tour itself. Pagett is unknown of course, and could play like Tom Ford did last year which was pretty woeful in the first session. Ford though understandbly is way a better player than Pagett, so Pagett may be even more nervous. Im also surprised to see more tickets gone for the Cope v Pagett match rather than Walden v McLeod. McLeod yes he is slow but he can also play well, while Walden for me is also a good player, will be mistakes in that match but not as many as Cope v Pagett because of inexperience and the way them two play, it could be a horror show to watch.

Postby SnookerFan

nice_shoes_ken wrote:I agree I think it will be nervy, Cope always misses shots does the odd good break but his far too inconsistent in his matches aswell as on the tour itself. Pagett is unknown of course, and could play like Tom Ford did last year which was pretty woeful in the first session. Ford though understandbly is way a better player than Pagett, so Pagett may be even more nervous. Im also surprised to see more tickets gone for the Cope v Pagett match rather than Walden v McLeod. McLeod yes he is slow but he can also play well, while Walden for me is also a good player, will be mistakes in that match but not as many as Cope v Pagett because of inexperience and the way them two play, it could be a horror show to watch.

God, I'm not. McLeod must be one of the most boring players out there. Too many players remember his match with Mark King a couple of years ago. The first frame of that match took as long as the whole final combined. McLeod took an hour and a half just to break off. rofl

Postby nice_shoes_ken

I know McLeod is slow but im just thinking about the all round quality of the match, Cope and Pagett will be quick and that's what people like to see, but Walden is a very talented player while Rory is slow but he isn't no mug to the baize.

Looking forward to Saturday, shame I haven't got tickets for Williams v Day could of but my mate just kept messing about then says he has to be back in Leicester for the afternoon real shame really. Higgins v Lee for me is the pick of the first round matches, Williams v Day and Allen v Machew should all be crackers aswell.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:fact is: only two defending champions got defeated in the first round since 1986: Graeme Dott 2006 and Stephen Hendry 2000, we all know that these two players took serious damage from those losses.

Why so? He's not struggling that much with the rankings, is he?

Neither did Dott or Hendry.
All the self confidence can go right out of the window, especially because Robertson hasn't showed anything since December 2010.

I don't want that to happen but I just thought that there's a possibilty.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:Loosing first Round and Losing first day is gutting.

this is a tournament or so im being told players prepare for since may previous year so to lose first match is Gutting who ever you are Defending Champ or Rookie.

Losing as defending champion is worse. He much more likely doesn't see it as a chance to win it again but as a chance to lose all the glory and status. That's the extra pressure.

Postby SnookerFan

nice_shoes_ken wrote:I know McLeod is slow but im just thinking about the all round quality of the match, Cope and Pagett will be quick and that's what people like to see, but Walden is a very talented player while Rory is slow but he isn't no mug to the baize.

Looking forward to Saturday, shame I haven't got tickets for Williams v Day could of but my mate just kept messing about then says he has to be back in Leicester for the afternoon real shame really. Higgins v Lee for me is the pick of the first round matches, Williams v Day and Allen v Machew should all be crackers aswell.

:bowdown: :bowdown: Good match selection there.

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:No plans for Saturday, so day of snooker, starting with Robbo/Trump, then Williams/Day and then the conclusion to Robbo/Trump. Finally topped off by the highlights at midnight :D

bucking hell, you're more dedicated then I am. I'm usually asleep by the highlights.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

My Saturday will hopefully go to plan, 6.30 wake up horrible feeling, a taxi at 7.15 catch train at 7.55 and hopefully arrive at about 9.15 in Sheffield. Have a picture with Hairbear and Ryan 147 <laugh> watch Robertson v Trump walk around for a bit then come home for the end of Williams v Day, then Robbo v Trump to a finish, happy days :D