Post a reply

rating the ten single time crucible winners

Postby jojo

listed below are the ten players who have won their sole world title at the crucible

terry griffiths
cliff thorburn
dennis taylor
joe johnson
john parrott
ken doherty
peter ebdon
shaun murphy
graeme dott
neil robertson

i ask people to rate them in order ie who people think the best player of that bunch is and who they think is the worst etc in terms of overall career achievement style shot selection and quality of player etc etc

bear in mind players like shaun murphy and neil robertson are still in their prime so they have genuine opportunities to develop and add to their titles

interestingly i still rate jimmy white higher than all these players even though he didnt win a world title

i think its easier to start from the bottom i would place joe johnson right at the bottom at ten as he didnt do much in terms of winning other titles apart from his shock win at the crucible

just above him at nine i would place greame dott remember this is a very exclusive list dott has only won the china open apart from the worlds a bit like joe johnson however i place dott higher because of his raw grit and determination higher peak ranking position and reaching an extra world final

i would then place dennis taylor at number eight just above dott as he won the masters and the unofficial fourth major the grand prix at the time and above him at number seven i would place cliff thorburn who was a three time masters winner renowned for his grinding

at number six i place shaun murphy and at five i place neil robertson however during the course of their careers as these players in their twenties i expect them to shoot up the list they may even add to their sole world title so they wont even be on this list ive placed murphy just above robertson because of his better head to head and uk title along with the extra world final

at number four i have ken doherty as he only won one major but reached masters and uk finals and i place terry griffiths at three because of his uk and masters wins

very tight between ebdon and parrott at the top however i edge it to parrott because of more ranking titles add to that he was a more fluent player than ebdon however theres a strong possibility both murphy and robertson will overtake these players at the end of their careers

Re: rating the ten single time crucible winners

Postby Wildey

1 john parrott
2 cliff thorburn
3 peter ebdon
4 neil robertson
5 ken doherty
6 terry griffiths
7 shaun murphy
8 graeme dott
9 dennis taylor
10 joe johnson

my list for now but ill be honest that could change however without being disrespectful Taylor and Johnson will remain 9 and 10

Postby GJ

yes and mr negative dott tourists off all opponents who beat him or makes some lame excuse

Ian was to slow

selby is so negative

robbo took to long over shots

blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:
GJ wrote:yes and mr negative dott tourists off all opponents who beat him or makes some lame excuse

Ian was to slow

selby is so negative

toilet breaks :wave:

oliver :hatoff: :happy:

Postby The Cueist

Smart wrote:
GJ wrote:yes and mr negative dott tourists off all opponents who beat him or makes some lame excuse

Ian was to slow

selby is so negative

rofl And ,Ahem!!!!!Coughing fits,Must strain the bladder. :chin: :evilgrin:

Postby GJ

The Cueist wrote:
Smart wrote:

Ian was to slow

selby is so negative

rofl And ,Ahem!!!!!Coughing fits,Must strain the bladder. :chin: :evilgrin:

NINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:happy: :happy: :happy:

Postby GJ

The Cueist wrote::D Ninga Mombassi Ninji!!!!!!! :-D

How are you Gj my friend. :-D

Very well mate excited for saturday

:happy:

YOURSELF :hatoff:

Postby The Cueist

GJ wrote:

I am more than good mate. :-D

And am looking forward to Robertson v Trump clash,Should be a cracking match and hopefully will be close,What you reckon fella. :-)

Postby GJ

The Cueist wrote:
GJ wrote:

I am more than good mate. :-D

And am looking forward to Robertson v Trump clash,Should be a cracking match and hopefully will be close,What you reckon fella. :-)

i reckon 10-7 robbo

but it could be a classic

Postby The Cueist

Yep,Experience wise i would agree,But Trump should have new found confidence and if he produces it Robertson could find him hard to contain if he stays consistent when in amongst the balls.

I would agree with you mate that it has the potential to be a classic. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:Robertson has to be last with just one world final.

the worlds is not the be all and end all of being the Best Player.

it is rating the 10 single time champions as players.

in the draw this year only Stephen Hendry, Ronnie,Mark Williams and John Higgins has had a better career than him.

Postby Alex0paul

Wild wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:Robertson has to be last with just one world final.

the worlds is not the be all and end all of being the Best Player.

it is rating the 10 single time champions as players.

in the draw this year only Stephen Hendry, Ronnie,Mark Williams and John Higgins has had a better career than him.

WHOOOOOSSSHHHH