Topic locked

Most Difficult And Easiest Draw At The Crucible ?

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Hi guys

Seeing as we're ticking down to the big one what Crucible champion do you think has had the most difficult draw in the history of the WC there ? Conversely who has had the " easiest " passage ?

Hardest ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_World ... ampionship

Plays a finalist in his first ever match , followed by the hurricane , followed by steady Eddie , though Griffiths did play one less match than is played nowadays in order to win

One that really sticks out is 1981 with Steve Davis winning his first title where he had to play every single day :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_World ... ampionship
World amatuer champ in the first round , the hurricane in round two , Griffiths in the qf followed by the grinder in the semi

Graeme Dott wouldn't be blamed if he decided to phone in sick during the WC fortnight in 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_World ... ampionship

with the exception of Neil Robertson everyone he plyed had been a former winner or finalist

Easiest draw ?

For me there's only one contender

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World ... ampionship

Robertson beats two qualifiers in the first two rounds , an OAP in the QF , a pilot in the semi and grinded out a win in the final against Dotty

Please no " It was harder /easier to win a title in 19$$ /20££back then " type arguments please

Re: Most Difficult And Easiest Draw At The Crucible ?

Postby jojo

as a fan of robertson i would say his path to the final last year was one of the easiest anyone could have had he beat mcleod a rookie qualifier in the first round followed by another qualifier in the second round where he edged through on experience then a 53 year old who shouldnt have been anywhere near the draw let alone a quarter final at his age beating the defending champion and top seed and that was followed up by a match against a known bottler ali carter in the semis

i been reading the dott book i know he likes to blow his own trumpet defending himself putting other players down calling them slow but dott wasnt the hardest of opponents he could have faced i can name three or four off the top of my head who would have given robertson a better match in the final scrappy though it was

in terms of the hardest route difficult to say quite a few stick out davis in 81 higgins in 98 hendry in 99 but it difficult to say in all honesty
Last edited by jojo on 09 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Go Ronnie

I think the hardast draw ever:
2007 world championship for Ronnie.
1st round v Ding, who beat him 9-6 in the NIT final.
2nd round v Robertson, who beat him 5-1 (Grand Prix) and 5-4 (Welsh Open).
QF v Higgins, who have got good head to head versus Ronnie in the ranking tournaments.

Postby Smart

GrumpyMrDavros wrote:
Easiest draw ?

For me there's only one contender

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World ... ampionship

Robertson beats two qualifiers in the first two rounds , an OAP in the QF , a pilot in the semi and grinded out a win in the final against Dotty

............ :hatoff:

(and what an awful final it was too, Dodgey John ensured that was the case) :wretch:

Postby GJ

BREAKING NEWS

World snooker have announced thAT beside the name of the world champion a message will be wrote saying if their draw was hard or difficult

more soon

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:BREAKING NEWS

World snooker have announced thAT beside the name of the world champion a message will be wrote saying if their draw was hard or difficult

more soon

:moose:

YOUR A FAT MOOSE I AGREE

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Go Ronnie wrote:I think the hardast draw ever:
QF v Higgins, who have got good head to head versus Ronnie in the ranking tournaments.

point is you could say Ding had the hardest draw that year after what happened in the masters earlier that year.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Go Ronnie wrote:I think the hardast draw ever:

point is you could say Ding had the hardest draw that year after what happened in the masters earlier that year.

2008 ronne snake hiss EASY draw , past it hendo , and carter his bunny in the final

Postby Wildey

yes 2008 was the easiest run to the line anyone has had only Williams was a threat and even Hendry beat him a year later.

chaung and Wenbo on debut, Hendry out did himself just by reaching a semi and then the roll down and die Carter in the final.

Postby GJ

You can base it on rankings but they are irrelvant IMO

look at gouldy in first 2 sessions last year he was playing like a world number 1 and why should idiots devalue robbos achievment because steve beat higgins and then was crap against robbo not robbos problem.

Dott was in great form as well not robbos fault graeme hadnt the stamina for the full final

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:regarding stamin thats a excuse ....that what being World Champion is all about.

Postby snooky147

jojo wrote:as a fan of robertson i would say his path to the final last year was one of the easiest anyone could have had he beat mcleod a rookie qualifier in the first round followed by another qualifier in the second round where he edged through on experience then a 53 year old who shouldnt have been anywhere near the draw let alone a quarter final at his age beating the defending champion and top seed and that was followed up by a match against a known bottler ali carter in the semis

i been reading the dott book i know he likes to blow his own trumpet defending himself putting other players down calling them slow but dott wasnt the hardest of opponents he could have faced i can name three or four off the top of my head who would have given robertson a better match in the final scrappy though it was

in terms of the hardest route difficult to say quite a few stick out davis in 81 higgins in 98 hendry in 99 but it difficult to say in all honesty

The simple fact is that Robertson chose to play at a noticably slower pace after the first session and also played far more safety than he did throughout his previous matches. If the game had been played at his normal pace and his normal tactics used I am quite sure that it would have been a much better match. Graeme tried to force the pace in the second session imo and that was the reason he lost it, that and being shattered. And again to make it clear I am not saying that there would have been a different result, just a better match. So tell me how he was wrong to say he was slow?. And how is that putting other players down?.

Postby GJ

Ian is slow

Selby is to negative

robbo was to slow after session 1

becoming predictable from the pocket dynamo

Postby jojo

snooky147 not sure what you referring to pal i only said in my opinion i thought robertson had one of the easiest draws from start to finish i didnt mean to critisise robertson he my favourite player

in dotts book he slates people left right and centre always a familiar pattern emerging you just know he going to have a dig at people and in the process whether directly or indirectly big himself up and ive only red a few chapters not because im a slow reader but because ive got other things to do also i didnt want to finish the book in one go

i havent yet read about dotts account on the crucible final last year so i cant comment on that

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

GJ wrote:Ian is slow

Selby is to negative

robbo was to slow after session 1

becoming predictable from the pocket dynamo

To be honest they were as bad as each other in the final session .

That said the finals are becoming more and more anti-climatic