Post a reply

Ronnie is seeking help after considering WC withdrawal.

Postby Monique

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... areer.html

'Rocket' Ronnie O'Sullivan seeks help from shrink to rescue his snooker career

By David Kent
Last updated at 1:16 AM on 13th April 2011

Ronnie O'Sullivan has turned to a leading sports psychiatrist in a bid to save his career and take his place at Saturday's Betfred.com World Snooker Championship in Sheffield.

The three-time world champion, who has not followed through with his verbal declaration to withdraw from the tournament, will this week travel to meet Dr Steve Peters, the mind guru who helped deliver Great Britain eight cycling gold medals in Beijing three years ago.

After a miserable campaign featuring first-round exits in his last four tournaments and a slide to No 10 in the world rankings, the move has the feel of a final throw of the dice for O'Sullivan.

He has again recently threatened retirement - and sensationally informed World Snooker on the telephone last week of his decision to pull out of the 17-day blue-riband event.

Asked for confirmation in writing of his decision and given the weekend to mull it over, the troubled star reconsidered on Monday in a dramatic U-turn.

The former world No 1, who is due to face Wales's Dominic Dale over the best of 19 frames on Monday, said: 'I am about to go and see the man who worked with the GB Olympic cycling team later this week.

'He has a very good reputation. I'll be honest with him, I'm not sure what he can do to help me - but there is that small chance that he can.

'My problem is not that I can't get over the winning line, or that I don't believe I am good enough. I can win and I know if I'm playing well I beat all bar a couple.

'But a friend said to me in China you should see this bloke. I will try anything that might work.

'It just sounds too good to be true if after all these years someone makes it all come back, and I start enjoying it again and finding all my shots.'

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn has been fiercely critical of O'Sullivan's commitment to the sport this year - and missing the Sheffield showpiece would surely have spelled the end for snooker's biggest draw.

O'Sullivan, who missed 12 events during the campaign for medical and personal reasons, added: 'Last week I put in a verbal withdrawal to World Snooker and told them I wasn't going to play in Sheffield. That's when it really hit me that this could be it, for five or 10 minutes my heart was pounding.

'I said if it's easier to say I'm retiring then say that. They said that's fine, but we'll give you the weekend to think about it. On Monday they called back, and talked me back into it.'

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... world.html
O'SULLIVAN 'THREATENS TO QUIT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP'
The Daily Mail reports that Ronnie O'Sullivan has told World Snooker he is withdrawing from the Betfred.com World Championship.

However, O'Sullivan has apparently had a rethink and is consulting with a leading sports psychologist ahead of the Crucible.

According to the newspaper, O'Sullivan said: "Last week I put in a verbal withdrawal to World Snooker and told them I wasn't going to play in Sheffield. That's when it really hit me that this could be it, for five or 10 minutes my heart was pounding.

"I said if it's easier to say I'm retiring then say that. They said that's fine, but we'll give you the weekend to think about it. On Monday they called back, and talked me back into it."

O'Sullivan, who won the world title in 2001, 2004 and 2008, is due to play Dominic Dale in the first round.

He has been largely de-motivated this season, has fallen to tenth in the world rankings and has not won a match in a ranking event since last September's World Open.

The Mail reports that O'Sullivan is consulting with Dr Steve Peters, who advised the British cycling team ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

You can read the story here.

Well, I'm not surprised. That's all I can say.
I'm glad that Ronnie reconsidered his decision and that he is seeking help.
This just shows that all the stories about "not being bothered" are just nonsense: he's in deep pain and he wouldn't be if he didn't care.
I hope that he gets the support he needs, including from WSA and that the media and the fans will give him a break. He needs some peace of mind to work this through.

All the best Ronnie.

Re: Ronnie is seeking help after considering WC withdrawal.

Postby N_Castle07

Sorry but I’m a little baffled by this. If Ronnie wanted to withdraw at the time then why did he personally ring World Snooker? We all know that when Ronnie fully intends to withdraw from events he gets his management/PR team to do it for him. I understand he is feeling anxious about his current game but he’s not the only player. Mark Williams was in a rut but he put the hours in and entered more events than Ronnie has. This is not going to make Ronnie anymore fans its time for the World Championship not the Ronnie O’Sullivan show.

O'SULLIVAN 'THREATENS TO QUIT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP'

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... world.html

The Daily Mail reports that Ronnie O'Sullivan has told World Snooker he is withdrawing from the Betfred.com World Championship.

However, O'Sullivan has apparently had a rethink and is consulting with a leading sports psychologist ahead of the Crucible.

According to the newspaper, O'Sullivan said: "Last week I put in a verbal withdrawal to World Snooker and told them I wasn't going to play in Sheffield. That's when it really hit me that this could be it, for five or 10 minutes my heart was pounding.

"I said if it's easier to say I'm retiring then say that. They said that's fine, but we'll give you the weekend to think about it. On Monday they called back, and talked me back into it."

O'Sullivan, who won the world title in 2001, 2004 and 2008, is due to play Dominic Dale in the first round.

He has been largely de-motivated this season, has fallen to tenth in the world rankings and has not won a match in a ranking event since last September's World Open.

The Mail reports that O'Sullivan is consulting with Dr Steve Peters, who advised the British cycling team ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

You can read the story here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... areer.html .

i dont know what to make of this.

Attention Seeking

Publicity Stunt.

or he was seriously thinking of not playing ?

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:You "know" that how he does it? really? I'm baffled! You probably know how he feels as well? And every detail of the real situation?

I'm afraid you're just showing your ignorance here.

I don't claim to know how he feels, please don't put words in my mouth. I do know Ronnie is not the only player in the world to go through ruts doubts and depression but the other players don't get documented as much. David Hendon himself is always saying this on eurosport. I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are and it is my opinion this is yet another publicity stun.

Re: O'SULLIVAN 'THREATENS TO QUIT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP'

Postby Wildey

im slightly weary the fact its reported in the mail

Dave Hendon involved with a massive snooker mag had to quote the Mail.

Why Tell a Tabloid ???

Postby N_Castle07

I'm baffeled because Ronnie rang World Snooker himself only to get the "No no Ronnie please don't drop out" response. We all know that when Ronnie sets his mind to dropping out of events he gets his management/PR company to do it for him. Why ring it in himself??? Alarm bells.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:How do you know that he called the newspapers? How do you know it's not the newspaper that called him?
When he refuses to talk to the press he's wrong. When he does he's wrong also.

he called they called bottom line he talked to them about something that was none of their business until World Snooker put out a statement that Ronnie has withdrawn.

im a bit sick to the back teeth of this indicition.

granted he is ill granted he feels rough at the moment that goes without saying but theres to much he said,she said,i said, now ive changed my mind again for the 1000 time ...

just dont talk to newspapers about private medical depression...

seriously i know people that are depressed they dont want to tell their famiy never mind the whole bucking country.

sorry monique had to get that off my chest.

Postby Monique

He's not mentioned depression at all, for a start. He's seeing a sports psychologist.
Mark Joyce said he's doing it, and got praised, like many sportsmen before him.
Mark Allen spoke to the press about his depression and got sympathy. So did Dott.
And in addition as I already mentioned Ronnie can't win: when he refuses to talk the press, or to answer the questions that are put to him he's unprofessional, it's part of his job. When he does, it's wrong as well.

Postby Bourne

Mark Joyce doesn't seek publicity quite this way, he doesn't threaten to retire every time he loses, he doesn't refuse to go to foreign tournaments for a 'bad back' every time ... how you can compare them :irk:

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:He's not mentioned depression at all, for a start. He's seeing a sports psychologist.
Mark Joyce said he's doing it, and got praised, like many sportsmen before him.
Mark Allen spoke to the press about his depression and got sympathy. So did Dott.
And in addition as I already mentioned Ronnie can't win: when he refuses to talk the press, or to answer the questions that are put to him he's unprofessional, it's part of his job. When he does, it's wrong as well.

You might think this is another Ronnie bashing excercise but it's not. The truth is people are getting sick to death of his attention seeking. The commentators on eurosport are even making comments here and there about his attitude and commitment. And i've noticed even his fans are starting to get sick of him last year he was voted in the top 100 most annoying celebs and that was for a reason.

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:Mark Joyce doesn't seek publicity quite this way, he doesn't threaten to retire every time he loses, he doesn't refuse to go to foreign tournaments for a 'bad back' every time ... how you can compare them :irk:

Ronnie has hinted he could quit just as often after victories than he did after losing. Most famously just after winning his 3rd WC.
And he hasn't withdrew of ANY tournament this season because of a bad back: he's quoted personal reasons and didn't get any points for them. The last time he had a bad back was in Shanghai in 2009 and he won the tournament. Get the facts right will you?
People who are in the know like Gary Moss, Michaela Tabb, Jason Francis and others expressed sympathy. Of course you know better.

Postby Bourne

Sorry I should have clarified that I didn't mean every tournament, because that was clearly me being serious :roll: Just sick of these stories all the time, more for the player who beats him in Sheffield, Dominic might put in the performance of his life to beat him and all anyone will say is that Ronnie's head wasn't right and Dom was lucky, so many times it's happened.

Postby Wildey

mon

seriously did the newspaper need to know he was going to pull out but now hes not they talked him out of it.

why say something thats not going to happen :?

ill be honest it sounds like a publicity stunt by Barry to get us talking which it has....

that what it looks like i cant comment on the reality i just dont know.

if its genuine he needs to pull out get his head sorted in private away from publicity and attention.

Postby GJ

Monique

we all know though if dom wins it willall be about ronnie and dale will get little credit thats the way it is sadly

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:mon

seriously did the newspaper need to know he was going to pull out but now hes not they talked him out of it.

why say something thats not going to happen :?

ill be honest it sounds like a publicity stunt by Barry to get us talking which it has....

that what it looks like i cant comment on the reality i just dont know.

if its genuine he needs to pull out get his head sorted in private away from publicity and attention.

That's my opinion too, cynical maybe but he's been in the business long enough to know how to sell a product and he's doing it again here.

Postby jojo

bucking duplicate posts there here there and everywhere i advise the admin sonny to fix this

monique its not that hes seeking help from a sport psychologist thats the problem why should that be a problem lots of sportsmen have done this it very commendable in my opinion

he not the only player who has suffered from demons and you bringing joyce allen and dott into it is silly because none of these players always threaten retirement every two minutes saying they bored or wanting to pull out of this tournament and the other

its the fact that hes always considering retirement or pulling out every two minutes attention seeking that annoys most fans add to that he bashes balls all over the place trying to lose when it doesnt suit him making a mockery of the game and you can see a marked difference between your idol and dott allen and joyce the other players you bring into it

i may not know the exact circumstances to his situation nobody on here does so please dont say to people they dont know his exact situation if their opinions are different to yours why bother making a thread if people arent allowed to state their opinions which are different to yours we all going by what weve heard

ronnie the snooker player in full flow is a joy to watch but he is really annoying and this smacks of attention seeking and devalues the game

Postby jojo

if this is a publicity stunt by hearn then i apologise to ronnie and his fans

however i doubt it is rarely has hearn had any cooperation from ronnie in terms of trying to use the games biggest draw as a marketing tool to promote the game this season so i doubt ronnie gave the green light to hearn saying yes its ok barry you can put this bull story out there as a pr stunt to get the fans talking

i dont think its a publicity stunt from hearn but yet more annoying attention seeking from ronnie

Postby Wildey

John From London Town wrote:I don’t think it is a publicity stunt at all.

I do think however it is Ronnie’s troubled mind coming across & somehow this has been leaked. I doubt very much Ronnie O’Sullivan will take any pleasure with seeing this in the news. Probably only adds to the fella’s woes if you ask me.

My problem is not that I can't get over the winning line, or that I don't believe I am good enough. I can win and I know if I'm playing well I beat all bar a couple.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... z1JOiI6Mtb

john last time i looked when someone sais MY problem ,I Cant get over the winning line it means not a source had said but i myself had said.

Postby likelylad

Yaaaawn, yaaawn, yaaaawn, this quitting stuff has more episodes than coronation street. When visiting the psychologist, first topic, attention seeking, and second, i did not get rid off those toys from my pram after 3 decades.

Postby SnookerFan

If Ronnie feels he needs help with his game, let him get it. Nothing wrong with seeing sport's pychologists or shrinks if you feel it'll help you with your game. If Ronnie really is in as much agony as he says he is, then he should get himself some help.

On the other hand, he doesn't seem very certain this will work. Maybe the best thing for Ronnie is to retire, or to take time away from snooker. He doesn't seem to be enjoying it any more. I know it's Ronnie, and there's a very real chance he'll see this guy once, decides he likes snooker again, and win the World Championship. Such is the guys tempremental genius. But honestly? I'm getting sick of seeing it. Every time Ronnie implodes, we're told it's his troubled nature and that this makes him an interesting draw. The BBC practically cream themselves every time something happens. If they were real fans of his, they wanted want to see that happen to him. And those that aren't are going to get sick of seeing these sort of antics by Ronnie.

Maybe the best thing for him, his family, and his fans is for him to leave competitive snooker behind. It'll help sort him out his problems, and he can still play exhibition games against Jimmy and enter things such as Power Snooker. Hell, Hearn could even give him a Ronnie-card to The Masters, though I personally would be against it. His fans would still get to see him, but he'd be able to take a break and not have the pressures of competing that seem to stress him out so much. It seems to me all this fanboys on the internet going; "Ronnie is da best, mang." And "Come on Ronnie, be da rocket again, for your fans." Aren't actually helping him at all.