Topic locked

Of the 16 qualifiers who will go furthest?

Postby PLtheRef

Recently posted this question on TSF recently, got some names, but who do we think will go furthest of the 16 qualifiers

Re: Of the 16 qualifiers who will go furthest?

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Nice short question right to the point. My tip is Martin Gould or Barry Hawkins, Gould did well last year and will meet Fu again very winnable game, while im hoping Hawkins eventually comes good at the Crucible and shocks Maguire, if so he will meet Allen or Stevens.

Postby PLtheRef

Its interesting really of the 16 qualifiers

14 have played at the Crucible before
9 have reached the last 16
6 have reached the last 8
3 have reached the last 4
1 has reached the final

Which certainly suggests that the standard of the qualifiers is much higher, even if the seeds seem to go close to clean sweeps in reaching the second round, as I predicted, I said 3 qualifiers to qualify and of those the obvious one to reach the last eight would be Stevens. Gould I reckon wont get to the position he did last year against Robertson, as the World Champion knows that if he isnt at the races he can face a huge battle, as he did last year.

I'm surprised at Hawkins nomination, given his dreadful record at the Crucible.

Postby kostasmad

Based on record Stevens.

Tricky game against Allen though. If he goes through I am sure he will thrash Maguire or Hawkins...He is a confidence player and its easy to see it from CL..He got some wins and won 14 from the 15 games he played. Other players i can think of is Trump and Gould...

Postby SnookerFan

Stevens couldn't do it in his prime, so I doubt he'll do much now. I'm going to plump for Martin Gould. If Ryan Day or Stephen Lee weren't playing the two best players in the world in the first round, I'd suggest them. As they are, I pick Martin Gould.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:Joe Perry

not a hope unless hes joint go furthest by every single qualifier loosing first round but he wins 9 frames which again is as likely as Dennis Taylor forgetting about 1985.

Postby Tubberlad

I think it will be Stevens... if Trump can upset Robertson on day one, it will be him.

Barry Hawkins won't do it, his Crucible record is absolutely dire. He's a cracking little player, but the stats don't lie: 0 from 5. Although to be fair, he has played four world champions in those games.

My tips would be Gould, Stevens & possibly Trump, but Trump will need a huge game to get past Robbo.

Postby Wildey

theres only 2 matches where the qualifier is ranked higher than the seed Allen v Stevens is one and Fu v Gould is the other.

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:theres only 2 matches where the qualifier is ranked higher than the seed and Allen v Stevens is one and Fu v Gould is the other.

I'm looking through my preview right now, and I've predicted three non seeds to go through. I'd give Bingham & McLeod a chance, but overall it's pretty safe. I'm disappointed I couldn't have more of a go at being a bit outrageous, but I don't see it happening this year. I think it's got something to do with the rolling rankings. I mean, in 2008 Graeme Dott was seeded 2nd and hadn't won a game in about a year.

Postby GJ

im till gutted at masters result so i wont be pumped for the worlds for another couple of days yet

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:theres only 2 matches where the qualifier is ranked higher than the seed and Allen v Stevens is one and Fu v Gould is the other.

I'm looking through my preview right now, and I've predicted three non seeds to go through. I'd give Bingham & McLeod a chance, but overall it's pretty safe. I'm disappointed I couldn't have more of a go at being a bit outrageous, but I don't see it happening this year. I think it's got something to do with the rolling rankings. I mean, in 2008 Graeme Dott was seeded 2nd and hadn't won a game in about a year.

theres not much scope to be outrageous there TBH

in predicts i was 50/50 with a lot of matches but in the end i tilted towards experiance in thoes 50/50 matches.

how the seeds was worked in previous years Wenbo would have been a seed and after the season hes had most of the qualifiers would be 60/40 or 70/30 to beat him but now because hes been Rubbish hes down at 30 something and failed to qualify.