Topic locked

Who are the realistic contenders?

Postby Tubberlad

Simple question...

Right now, John Higgins would be my clear title favourite on many grounds: the motivation of winning it for his father, the chance to answer his critics (myself included) in the best way possible and the most important factor of all: he is the best player in the World, title or no title.

Who can stop him? Well, I think Mark Williams, Mark Selby & Neil Robertson are the main contenders to so. I wouldn't write off Shaun Murphy, he played well up to the semi-finals in Beijing and bossed Higgins over their best-of-9 encounter, and has beaten Higgins over 25 frames before, very impressively at that.

Williams, well, he's quality, but I'm not sure if that killer instinct of about eight years ago remains. Is he as hungry? His performance in losing to Stephen Lee proves the quality is still there, but it's hard for me to imagine the Williams of circa 2003 losing that UK final from that position to Higgins.

Selby played a blinder in China, I've often criticised him for playing to avoid losing rather than going for the jugular, but he was quite simply magnificent up against magnificent plus one in that final. Can he win the World Title? Of course, but he's got to maintain a positive approach

Robertson has been off the boil for a few months, but his form hasn't been awful. Indeed, he came into last year's tournament pretty cold and left a deserving World Champion. He's a strong player under pressure, a natural born winner and a man with no fear of the Crucible.

Of the dark horses, I think Dott represents the most appealing prospect. I can see him putting it up to the likes of Robertson and Selby should he meet them, and who knows, a fourth world final may not be out of the question for the diminutive Scot...

Trump is quality, and if he can beat Robertson, well, he's a contender, make no mistake, young or not. I don't think he will beat Robertson, but I'm hoping for a clash fitting of a Crucible opener.

Re: Who are the realistic contenders?

Postby SnookerFan

Higgins is the favourite. Mark Williams has been playing well, but has "only" won one tournament this year, and Higgins has played in less tournaments. Also Higgins beat Mark in that final where Mark was within one pot of being UK Champion. Mark Williams is well capable mind, but he's second favourite yet.

After his performance in China, I'd like to say Judd is a favourite, but I'm not sure. If he gets past Robertson, and that's a big if, he can have a good run, due to being in the lesser half of the tournament. But at this stage of his career, it's too early for a win, I'd say. It's not impossible he'll win it one day though.

Other then that it's hard to say. Dott always seems to have good run at Sheffield, and Shaun Murphy has played well. He's won it before. I'd like to say Ding has a chance, but that might just be my fandom talking.

At the end of the day, The Crucible tends to throw up something unexpected. It's 17 days of perfect snooker, where what has gone before ceases to matter. The snooker gods like to scoff at our Crucible predictions, so I say don't think too much about it. Just sit back and enjoy it.

Postby SnookerFan

Rocket_ron wrote:mark williams always seems to own higgins at the crucible

They're on to meet in the semis. There might be plenty of twists and turns before then.

Postby Wildey

John Higgins has to be in the mix then theres Mark Williams playing his best stuff for 8 years so last time he was this fancied was in 2004 as defending champion. talking of Defending Champion hes done it once whos to say he cant do it again got the mental Aussie toughnes thats needed at the Crucible. then theres Mark Selby mr consistent sooner or later hes going to do it why not this year ? then for the first time Ding Junhui is a live contender but stil unproven over 3 or 4 session matches unlike the last contender Shaun Murphy whos done it before and reached another Final.

where is Ronnie i hear you say <ok> well how can someone whos played so little be in contention for the Worlds ? simple answer he isn't a contender HOWEVER neither was Shaun Murphy in 2005 so as a outsider he is the obvious candidate.

in this Order
John Higgins
Mark Williams
Neil Robertson
Mark Selby
Ding Junhui
Shaun Murphy

then Comes the Field with Ronnie leading it.

Postby GJ

In order

Higgins
Robbo
Selby
Ding
Williams
Murphy

Postby Wildey

how times have changed can you imagine going in to a WC without Ronnie on a list to win it

Ronnie been on everyones top 4 since 1994 or 1995

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:how times have changed can you imagine going in to a WC without Ronnie on a list to win it

Ronnie been on everyones top 4 since 1994 or 1995

every year :hatoff:

Postby Tubberlad

Realistic favourite going into the last few World Championships (not bookies)

2011: Higgins
2010: Higgins
2009: O'Sullivan
2008: O'Sullivan
2007: O'Sullivan
2006: Higgins
2005: O'Sullivan
2004: O'Sullivan
2003: Williams
2002: O'Sullivan
2001: O'Sullivan

Before that, don't really remember...

Postby SnookerFan

I think Ronnie could win it still. If he turn ups at The Worlds and wants it, he has the natural talent to win it without even having practiced. It's unlikely that he'll want it that much, considering how unpassionate he's played this year, but it's not impossible.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:I think Ronnie could win it still. If he turn ups at The Worlds and wants it, he has the natural talent to win it without even having practiced. It's unlikely that he'll want it that much, considering how unpassionate he's played this year, but it's not impossible.

<ok> You would imagine that he will have at some point a really bad session and it will be put down to mental frailty etc.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I think Ronnie could win it still. If he turn ups at The Worlds and wants it, he has the natural talent to win it without even having practiced. It's unlikely that he'll want it that much, considering how unpassionate he's played this year, but it's not impossible.

<ok> You would imagine that he will have at some point a really bad session and it will be put down to mental frailty etc.

You would imagine that he is match rusty, or demotivated, and will do well to get past the first match. You would also imagine it would be difficult to play as well left-handed as you do right-handed. You would imagine that you couldn't break your cue 3-days before an event, and then win it.

You just don't know with Ronnie. He could lose 10-6 to Dale, or win the whole tournament. Somehow, I feel he is going to do one or the other.

Postby Wildey

you can never say never with ronnie its not as if hes been off form he just cant be fussed to fight out of a wet paper bag at the moment but the form is there we saw that at the china open but it just crumbled with pressure.

if a player would say GO ON RONNIE Fill your boots you will see break after break after break from him but competition not like that he has to battle to get in.

Postby mediter

If O´Sullivan isn´t "realistic" contender to win a snooker tournament he enters, then I have a very different sense of realism than lots of you.

But then, everyone has their own thinking world. And sense of realism.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The big favourite: John Higgins - the early China Open exit works to his advantage - the heat is now not totally on him. But remember who has won the UK and Welsh Open - a man with a mission and the World Championship is his big finale of his quest for redemption.

The favourites: Ding, Selby, Williams, Murphy
All with very good chances at least one of them will make the final

The guys with chances: Robertson, Ronnie, Allen, Carter
They will have to improve massively but they are all capable of it

All other contenders have only slim to no chances

Postby Bourne

5 players all in the 'short' odds category this year: Higgins, Selby, Ding, Williams and O'Sullivan ... then a bigger gap to Murphy. I think these 6 players are the players who I wouldn't be even a bit surprised would win, even O'Sullivan. Outside that would be take one of those special fortnights for a player where they play the best snooker of their life and really in today's era that could be at least 20 of the others.

Postby Alex0paul

Bourne wrote:5 players all in the 'short' odds category this year: Higgins, Selby, Ding, Williams and O'Sullivan ... then a bigger gap to Murphy. I think these 6 players are the players who I wouldn't be even a bit surprised would win, even O'Sullivan. Outside that would be take one of those special fortnights for a player where they play the best snooker of their life and really in today's era that could be at least 20 of the others.

No Robertson?

Postby Wildey

mediter wrote:If O´Sullivan isn´t "realistic" contender to win a snooker tournament he enters, then I have a very different sense of realism than lots of you.

But then, everyone has their own thinking world. And sense of realism.

how can someone whos hardly played,won even less, had no desire for snooker all season be a realistic contender.

you have to show something reputation just isnt enough.