Post a reply

Ladies World Championships 2011

Postby Monique

Press Release - Tim Dunkley

World Ladies Billiards and Snooker Association

Green-baize queens from around the globe descend on Bury St Edmunds this week for the Greene King World Ladies Snooker Championship.

Main Tour professionals Joe Perry, Michael Holt and Martin Gould make guest appearances on Friday in the World Mixed Pairs, which kicks off six days of top-quality action at the Pot Black Sports Bar.

The round-robin stage of the main competition starts at 10am on Saturday (April 9) with the final scheduled for noon on Wednesday (April 13).

The eventual champion will pocket £1,000 and the runner-up £500. Prize money will also be paid down to the last-16.

Red-hot favorite Reanne Evans is bidding for a record seventh straight world title. And to extend her record 84-match unbeaten run on the WLBSA circuit

Attempting to de-throne the undisputed world number one are world number two Maria Catalano, Ronnie O’Sullivan’s 29-year-old cousin; Portsmouth’s Emma Bonney, who is also seeking a fourth successive billiards title; and Kent’s Katie Henrick, who is ranked fourth.

It’s the first time the Suffolk market town has hosted the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association’s season finale.

Leading the overseas threat is Hong Kong ’s impressive 20-year-old Ng On Yee, the 2009 and 2010 IBSF Women’s World Champion.

Also flying in from Hong Kong are Jaique Ip Wan In, who lost to Ng in the 2010 IBSF final, Yu Ching Ching and So Man Yan.

Two-time world billiards champion Chitra Magimairaj, who jets in from India , said her biggest motivation was seeing her home country winning cricket’s world cup. Magimairaj is joined in Bury St Edmunds by her compatriot Revanna Umadevi.

Spearheading the European challenge is Latvian number one Tatjana Vasiljeva and eight-time German national champion Natascha Niermann, now based in Cambridge .

From the world of pool comes England international Fran Calvert and two-time European champion Kim O’Brien.

Favourite to clinch a fourth straight junior title is the phenomenal 14-year-old Derby schoolgirl Hannah Jones, the world number six.

Ron Agnew is sponsoring the billiards to the tune of £600. The eventual champion will also receive a year’s free subscription to all English-Billiards Open Series (EBOS) tournaments, a package worth £200. Website englishBilliards.org is offering £100 for the highest break.

Greene King World Ladies Snooker Championship

Friday, April 8, to Wednesday, April 13

Pot Black Sports Bar (manager: Phil Mumford)

Bury St Edmunds

Eastgate Street

Bury St Edmunds

Suffolk

IP33 1YQ

Tel: 01284 704231

PROGRAMME

Date Time Event
Fri, April 8

World Mixed Pairs

World Mixed Pairs final

Sat, April 9 10.00 to 18.00

World Ladies Snooker round-robin groups (excluding top eight seeds)

Sun, April 10 11.00

World Ladies Snooker round-robin groups (excluding top eight seeds)

World Ladies Juniors

World Ladies Seniors

Mon, April 11 11.00

Plate competition

World Ladies Snooker last-16 (best-of-five)

World Ladies Snooker quarter-finals (best-of-seven)

Tues, April 12 10.00

World Ladies Billiards

World Ladies Snooker semi-finals (best-of-seven)

Wed, April 13 11.00

World Ladies Seniors final

World Ladies Doubles final

World Ladies Snooker final (best-of-nine)

DEFENDING CHAMPIONS

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: Reanne Evans

MIXED PAIRS: Tatjana Vasiljeva & Joe Perry

WORLD DOUBLES: Tatjana Vasiljeva & Maureen Rowland

WORLD SENIORS: June Banks

WORLD JUNIOR: Hannah Jones

WORLD BILLIARDS: Emma Bonney

2011 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIPS ENTRIES

Top eight seeds

Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids )

Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids )

Emma Bonney ( Portsmouth )

Katie Henrick ( Bickley , Kent )

Eva Palmius (Isleham, Cambs)

Jenny Poulter ( Maidstone )

Chris Sharpe ( Chelmsford )

Hannah Jones ( Derby )

Marianne Williams (Smallfield, Surrey )

June Banks ( Orpington , Kent )

Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)

Tina Owen-Sevilton ( Taunton )

Natascha Niermann ( Cambridge )

Pam Wood ( Newcastle )

Naomi Clare (Ripley, Derbys )

Maureen Rowland (Wallsend, Tyne & Wear)

Jasmine Bolsover ( Woking )

Jan Hughes (St Neots, Cambs)

Tatjana Vasiljeva ( Latvia )

Chitra Magimairaj ( India )

Revanna Umadevi ( India )

Yu Ching Ching ( Hong Kong )

Jaique Ip Wan In ( Hong Kong )

So Man Yan ( Hong Kong )

Ng On Yee ( Hong Kong )

Kim O’Brien (Bury St Edmunds)

Fran Calvert ( Lowestoft )

Vicky Carter ( Hemel Hempstead )

2011 WORLD BILLIARDS CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRIES

Emma Bonney ( Portsmouth )

Chitra Magimairaj ( India )

Eva Palmius (Isleham, Cambs)

Tina Owen-Sevilton ( Taunton )

Jan Hughes (St Neots, Cambs)

Hannah Jones ( Derby )

Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)

Maureen Rowland (Wallsend, Tyne & Wear)

Revanna Umadevi ( India )

WLBSA PROVISIONAL SNOOKER RANKINGS

Pos Name Town Pts Sponsor
1 Reanne Evans Dudley, West Mids 780 MIUS
2 Maria Catalano Dudley, West Mids 530
3 Emma Bonney Portsmouth 510
4 Katie Henrick Bickley, Kent 330 180poker.com
5 Eva Palmius Isleham, Cambs 283
6 Hannah Jones Derby 256 Wytech + The Q Room
7 Natascha Niermann Cambridge 252
8 Vicky Carter Hemel Hempstead 216
9 Jenny Poulter Maidstone 215
10 Tina Owen-Sevilton Taunton 213
11 Marianne Williams Smallfield, Surrey 196
12 Suzie Opacic Brambridge, Hants 190 Kara Accountants
13 Gaye Jones Melksham, Wilts 187
14 Martina Lumsden Eastbourne 175
15 Chris Sharpe Chelmsford 169
16 Jodie Symes Swindon 129
17 Naomi Clare Ripley, Derbys 124
18 June Banks Orpington, Kent 110
19 Jasmine Bolsover Woking 102
20 Pam Wood Newcastle 82
21 Jan Hughes St Neots, Cambs 79
22 Joanne Davies Derby 66 Wytech
23 Maureen Rowland Wallsend, Tyne & Wear 51 Fine Arch Cues
24 Tatjana Vasiljeva Latvia 50
25 Laura Alves Dublin 36
26 Victoria Gibbs Trowbridge 19
27 Karen Harrison Fareham 12
28 Mary Hawkes Eaton Bray, Beds 12
29 Kim O’Brien Bury St Edmunds 7
30 Clare Heseldine Broadstairs, Kent 5
31 Georgina Holloway Derby 0
32 Supanni Yam-Oum Canterbury 0
33 Charlotte Holloway Derby 0
34 Rita Holmes Minehead 0

WLBSA ROLL OF HONOUR 2010/11

Date Venue Tournament Winner Runner-up
Sep-10 Clay Cross Wytech Masters (non-ranking) Reanne Evans Maria Catalano
Sep-10 Clay Cross UK Championship Reanne Evans Maria Catalano
Oct-10 Cambridge East Anglian Reanne Evans Maria Catalano
Nov-10 Bury St Edmunds British Open Reanne Evans Emma Bonney
Feb-11 Swindon South Coast Classic Reanne Evans Maria Catalano
Mar-11 Fareham Connie Gough National Reanne Evans Emma Bonney
Apr-11 Bury St Edmunds World Championship ? ?

Picture by Monique Limbos:

Six-time world champion Reanne Evans at the 2010 World Championships.

Sponsors logos attached

More details and action shots of most of the ladies available from:

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press office)

88 Lionheart Way

Bursledon Green

Southampton

SO31 8HN

Tel home: 02380 562647

Mobile: 07986 376114

E-Mail: timdunkleysnookerdad@hotmail.com

I will the there.

Re: Ladies World Championships 2011

Postby PLtheRef

:chin: - there are 28 players on the 8 seeds list?

I assume its 4 groups of 4 and 4 groups of 3 with the top two qualifying?

The entries seem to have really declined - I remember when there used to be around 60-70 - when the draw was put in the world championship programme, I used to watch the finals on the first Sunday, given that they were free to watch

Postby markj147

This article is now up on the World Ladies site.

The top 8 seeds are seperated by a space from the others and that space comes after Hannah's name on the website and in the press release.

So there are 8 seeds through to the knockout on Monday and 20 players in the round robins to be played over the weekend. 4 groups of 5 top 2 going through to meet the seeds.

There is one more player than attended last year (23). Those in attendance include the current IBSF World Ladies Champ who has come across with her opponent in that final,Jaique Ip Wan, and 2 other Hong Kong Players. They are currently stationed at Terry Griffiths club in Llanelli and practicing with Tatjana from Latvia.

Not sure where the Indian women are but usually Chitra comes across early and spends time at the academy in Sheffield before the tournament.

Looking at the list of players I think it is a strong field this year, however I cannot see past Reanne for her 7th title.

Postby markj147

Also if Hannah gets past her last 16 match then based on seedings she gets to play the one and only Reanne Evans in the quarter finals. It should be a quick match.... :)

Postby Monique

markj147 wrote:Also if Hannah gets past her last 16 match then based on seedings she gets to play the one and only Reanne Evans in the quarter finals. It should be a quick match.... :)

Not again! :shock:

Postby markj147

There will hopefully be streaming of the event staring with the World Mixed Doubles on Friday.

I believe, Michael Holt, Joe Perry and Martin Gould will be there playing that day. Michael will partner Reanne, Joe will probably partner Tatjana Vasiljeva and Martin will partner Pam Wood. Mandy Fisher will be playing alongside Phil Mumford and Hannah will be playing alongside Vinnie Calabrese who has flown across from Oz early to play in the event. Not sure how many other players are in attendance.

The World Ladies Snooker site has a video stream page which also has a link to past matches at the bottom of the page.

I am going to Bury tomorrow to set everything up. I know BT promised the broadband installation to be completed by today so fingers crossed.

Lighting may be an issue and I am using Ustream so I will be playing around with the settings tomorrow so it is likely that you will see Hannah practicing during the afternoon while I set things up.

There will be Twitter updates which go to the site and Monique and I will keep you updated directly on here. :)

Postby GJ

i think robbo played in the Mixed doubles 1 year

not sure though

Postby markj147

GJ wrote:i think robbo played in the Mixed doubles 1 year

not sure though

Yes he did, he partnered Reanne after Mark Allen.

He was going to partner Hannah last year but did a number on his back and sensibly rested up before the World Champs.

I ended up playing instead and embarrased her so much that she was furious with me..... :blush:

Postby SnookerFan

markj147 wrote:

not sure though

He was going to partner Hannah last year but did a number on his back and sensibly rested up before the World Champs.

I ended up playing instead and embarrased her so much that she was furious with me..... :blush:

Really? <laugh>

That's gratitude isn't it? You were a late sub.

Postby SnookerFan

markj147 wrote:There will hopefully be streaming of the event staring with the World Mixed Doubles on Friday.

I believe, Michael Holt, Joe Perry and Martin Gould will be there playing that day. Michael will partner Reanne, Joe will probably partner Tatjana Vasiljeva and Martin will partner Pam Wood. Mandy Fisher will be playing alongside Phil Mumford and Hannah will be playing alongside Vinnie Calabrese who has flown across from Oz early to play in the event. Not sure how many other players are in attendance.

The World Ladies Snooker site has a video stream page which also has a link to past matches at the bottom of the page.

I am going to Bury tomorrow to set everything up. I know BT promised the broadband installation to be completed by today so fingers crossed.

Lighting may be an issue and I am using Ustream so I will be playing around with the settings tomorrow so it is likely that you will see Hannah practicing during the afternoon while I set things up.

There will be Twitter updates which go to the site and Monique and I will keep you updated directly on here. :)

So we'll be able to watch this? What's the website?

Postby Roland

I would like to watch this but I'm away this weekend - call it keeping someone happy before 17 days of hell :redneck:

Will there be highlights?

Postby markj147

Yes Sonny, the stream will be available to watch on on the site almost immediately the live stream has finished. I'm also taking a HD video camera down to capture quality footage which I will process and upload in the coming weeks.

about to head down to the club.

Postby Monique

Taxi picks me in half an hour... On my way to Bury St Edmunds, then Sheffield. That's me away from home until May 3 evening. Loads of photo stuff + cloth for nearly a month. I should buy a donkey :chin:

Postby markj147

SnookerFan wrote:
markj147 wrote:

not sure though

Really? <laugh>

That's gratitude isn't it? You were a late sub.

Um well to be honest. I was cueing well the night before then reannes dad kev led me astray and 'forced' me to drink a large amount of beer that night ;). The day of the match I was closer to hitting the cueball on adjacent tables so her fury was well founded...:D

Postby SnookerFan

markj147 wrote:
Um well to be honest. I was cueing well the night before then reannes dad kev led me astray and 'forced' me to drink a large amount of beer that night ;). The day of the match I was closer to hitting the cueball on adjacent tables so her fury was well founded...:D

I'd have blamed her dad. <laugh> I mean it's not like you were out the night before chatting up barstaff and talking to drunk strangers. You're not me.

Postby markj147

BT are sending an engineer out because there is a problem with the broadband. Looks like no streaming until they get to the club and fix it. I will be videoing the mixed doubles to show later. Sorry all. I will keep you posted.

Postby Monique

April 8 - Mixed doubles

Round 1

Fran Calvert & Aidan Owens 3-0 Revanna Umadevi & Bidare Gangadhal Nagaraja
Mandy Fisher & Phil Mumford 3-2 Natascha Niermann & Steve Edwards

Quarters

Tatjana Vasileva & Joe Perry 3-0 Fran Calvert & Aidan Owens
Eva Palmius & Nick Charalambous 0-3 Hannah Jones & Vinnie Calabrese
Kim O'Brien & Andy Goodridge 0-3 Pam Wood & Martin Gould
Mandy Fisher & Phil Mumford 3-1 Reanne Evans & Michael Holt

Semis

Tatjana Vasileva & Joe Perry 3-1 Hannah Jones & Vinnie Calabrese
Pam Wood & Martin Gould 3-0 Mandy Fisher & Phil Mumford

Final

Pam Wood & Martin Gould 1-3 Tatjana Vasileva & Joe Perry
Last edited by Monique on 08 Apr 2011, edited 7 times in total.

Postby Wildey

markj147 wrote:

thats what dads do :emb: <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Taxi picks me in half an hour... On my way to Bury St Edmunds, then Sheffield. That's me away from home until May 3 evening. Loads of photo stuff + cloth for nearly a month. I should buy a donkey :chin:

Have fun mon <ok>

Postby Wildey

if theres ladies around Martin Gould just had to be there ;-)

Postby Monique

April 9 - Main event Round Robin

4 Groups - top 2 of each groups goes to the knock-out stage and play the seeds.

Group A: Jaique Ip Wan In, Kim O' Brien, Noami Clare, Marianne Williams, Gaye Jones
Group B: Yu Ching Ching, Natascha Niermann, Chitra Magimairaj, Pam Wood, Maureen Rowland
Group C: So Man Yan, Jan Hughes, Tina Owen-Sevilton, Tatjana Vasileva, Vicky Carter
Group D: On Yee Ng, June Banks, Revanna Umadevi, Fran Calvert, Jasmine Bolsover

Postby Monique

Congratulations to Tatjana and Joe who defended their title successfully

and well done to Martin and Pam, finaloists for the second year in a row

Postby Wildey

so the winners got to marry because theres only one trophy and the runner ups got one each.

Martin must be gutted rofl