Post a reply

Your Top 5 Snooker players Now

Postby Rocket_ron

We have seen lists of peoples all time Faves.

But who is your top 5 Favourite players who play the game now?

I will Start

1. Ronnie

Yes it still is ronnie, sometimes i ask myself why? but its loyalty. i have been a fan of his since 2000, and he can still play good stuff

2. Judd Trump

Hated him at first, still dislike his appearance but that aside i view him as the new ronnie, very very much natural talent, I have seen him play in real life and is a very good player and break builder. only 21 and has alot more to offer

3. Ryan Day

Attacking player, all my fave players need to be attacking. I dont like negative play. Ryan Day when one form is very Attacking. Good potter and break builder

4. Matthew Stevens

A very good allrounder, one of the best player not to have won the WC. Very lots of natural talent, can play with both hands like ronnie and i always have respected him for using his 3 piece extension and cueing long shots without a rest

5. mark williams

this one is the hardest choice the other 4 are so clear cut for me. 5th place was a tossup between williams, murphy and Robbo. For now its MJW

Re: Your Top 5 Snooker players Now

Postby Casey

1.Allen - Obvious

2. Hendry - Who would have guessed

3. Ding - Great player, he has the ability to dominate, already a 3 time major winner, he just needs to get on with it at the World's.

4. Higgins - I have always followed Higgins, fantastic player who after a barren few spells in the early - mid 00's is really fulfilling his talent.

5. Trump - I have always been a fan and now he is getting up the rankings I can't wait to see more of him. He is a major winner in waiting.

Others - Robbo + Selby

Postby GJ

1. Robbo - Great long potter and his breakbuilding has come on so much and he has great personality and is great for snooker.
2. Stevens - In full flow he is a joy to watch and he makes the game look effortless
3. Selt - He has great bottle and wins alot of deciders needs to make a few more venues
4. Perry- Solid and under rated but his current form is poor
5. Gouldy - Class player and like stevens makes it look effortless

:hatoff:
Last edited by GJ on 07 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

1 Stephen Hendry ----i know i shouldn't because most of the time hes rubbish but on occasions you see glimpses of why hes the Greatest.

2 Mark Williams---- So Cool Laid Back hes almost horizontal and if i could play like any player id choose him to play like

3 Mark Selby----What a Cleaver player but many don't get him but i get him 100%,So far has underachieved though but people forget why hes underachieved it takes a great Player or a Great performance to beat him More often than not.

4 Neil Robertson----True Grit and Will to win second only to John Higgins in Snooker Today 6 Ranker's in 5 years when he won the World Open that's True Class.

5 Ronnie O'Sullivan---A Genius and when hes on his game pure entertainment win or loose.

Postby kostasmad

1. Stevens - I am Greek and I am sure in his previous life he was Greek as well. Great natural talent, but a bit lazy (as most Greeks). Joy to watch and great lad. I met him 2 times and he stands out from all the other players as so friendly and generous.

2. Higgins - Best player of the last 15 years for me.

3. Hendry - Best player of all time.

4. Ding - I think when the first 3 are gone, he will be the reason for me watching snooker.

I dont think i have a 5th but if it was one i would choose:

5. Stephen Lee - Best cue action in the game. Sometimes he looks blessed from god with that cue action. Lethal in his day. Good lad as well. Met him and was very polite.

Postby Casey

Tubberlad wrote:1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Matthew Stevens
3. Mark Selby
4. Ding Junhui
5. Graeme Dott

Nice to see plenty of other Ding followers :-)

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:
2. Matthew Stevens
3. Mark Selby
4. Ding Junhui
5. Graeme Dott

Fr. Ted Crilly: "The Chinese - a great bunch of lad" :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
2. Matthew Stevens
3. Mark Selby
4. Ding Junhui
5. Graeme Dott

im a dinger but i cant name every player ...

theres gould,Ding,Allen etc etc.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:Dott
Swail
Higginson
Maguire
Perry

not going to have much to shout about at the crucible <laugh>

Postby Smart

vodkadiet wrote:Any players who win me money!

I am stoned out of my head right now! :happy:

I was at a party one time, went outside for a puff, did not realise I had stepped in dog rubbish/cat rubbish as it was dark.................went back inside and was dancing around on a beige carpet and trampling in this rubbish to the carpet before the home-owner started sniffing around, then discovered the shitty carpet. rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby vodkadiet

Smart wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Any players who win me money!

I am stoned out of my head right now! :happy:

I was at a party one time, went outside for a puff, did not realise I had stepped in dog poo/cat poo as it was dark.................went back inside and was dancing around on a beige carpet and trampling in this poo to the carpet before the home-owner started sniffing around, then discovered the shitty carpet. rofl rofl rofl rofl

<laugh>

I have a cat, I can deal with that. I cannot deal with dog marmite!

Postby jadechelsea

Top five in the top 16
Williams
Selby
Robertson
Allen
Trump

Top Five out the top 16
Dominic Dale
Joe swail
Marco Fu
Anthony Hamilton
David Gilbert

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:Zhanger
Ronnie
Ding
Gouldy
Dotty

:hatoff:

you should have said Dingy <laugh>

Postby Roland

I can't pick a top 5. I have Williams and Selby and then any 3 from:

Higgins
Dotty
Liang
Cope
Ding
Trump
Maguire
Gould
Stevens

Yes you heard right, Stevens. For some strange reason I've suddenly started wanting him to win quite a lot actually. Bizarre!

Postby kostasmad

Lol....I could never expect Sonny to say that about Stevens...but its easy to explain it.

You were there in his biggest fall against Murphy...the 7-1 session that won and seemed destined to progress to the semis and final. That session was the best he played EVER...Then the collapse...You saw all that emotion in his last 2 frames against Fergal (especially the black) and you fell for the guy... Realised what he ve been through and what meant for him...You were there in his best (UK and Masters are so far away) and worst moment...Is Dr Kostas-Freud correct?

Postby Roland

I can't really explain it, but watching him at the EIS definitely had something to do with it. I still get frustrated at him for doing everything to avoid using the rest and I don't like it when he does several laps around the table when the shot is obvious, but that's when you know he's feeling it I guess.

I thought he was finished when Murphy beat him 13-12 from 12-7 down and found myself cheering for Murphy at 12-8 just because of his reaction and letting Stevens know that he was far from finished and still believed he could win. But I guess what has done it was seeing how he handled the pressure against Fergal and how positively he played when one mistake could've cost him a place at the Crucible.

I would like to see him have another serious crack at the title, and see if he can handle the pressure better than he has in the past. He always seemed to play great, and then as soon as the end was in sight he would seize up. The best I've ever seen him play was to get to 12-7 against Murphy and I really enjoyed watching him play like that. In a way I feel sorry for him because that should've kick started his prime years but instead it proved to be a massive blow to his confidence and he never looked like the same player since then.

So yes, when he plays like he did against Fergal at the EIS he is great to watch and easy to pull for.

Postby kostasmad

Very good and thorough explanation. Tough game against Allen...for both though...bookies have lowered Stevens odds...its the closest game of 1st round

Postby jojo

kosasmad i think stevens will beat the tubby little fat bastard he suffering mentally i dont think his mind will be focused 100 per cent he will be trying his best but if stevens goes two or three frames up early i can see tubby little fat bastard not being able to fight back

in terms of game play and shot selection they almost identical both like to go for it and not got much else to fall back on when things dont go their way it will be a free flowing match think there will be a lot of open frames and they will both get on with it

i expect stevens to get past both allen and maguire but he will find it difficult against either incest or williams in the quarter finals

Postby randam05

1.Williams = I cant explain how much I love watching this man. His break building, long potting, tactical play and safety is all stupidly good. NO ONE AT ALL makes the game look as easy as him. He just floats around like he doesnt care with the most funny expression on his face. His humour and wit is very good and he makes me laugh so much sometimes! So dry. To drop out of the top 16 and return like its an easy thing to do rising to number 1 in the world has got to be one of the best achievements in snooker, full stop. To put in 10 + hours practice a day is, well, I have never appreciated someone so much for doing something in the world. Has anyone tried praciticing for say 3 hours? Its not as easy or as fun as it sounds. To do that he is simply a genius. For me, he is the perfect player.

2. Selby = I just love watching someone who you can tell tries very hard and everything means so much to him. His shot selection is immaculate and breakbuilding is awesome, a very good all round player who battles every last breath. Just love watching him play and his cue action fascinates me! How he plays every shot consistentley with that cue action is beyond me. Very clever player too who plays mind games at time which is intriguing. You can really get stuck in his matches, they are like stories you just want to keep reading. Also a very well spoken man with a good sense of humour too!

3. Murphy = His proffessionalism is incredible and he gets a lot of stick for it. I can see why but I disagree and find it fine for someone to be like that. Hes obviously a sound guy who knows what hes on about. On the table when rolling he is amazing to watch. The cue action alone is one to watch! He obviously puts the hours in and takes his snooker seriously. My favourite part of his game to watch is his long potting. Truely incredible. Okay he thinks hes god, but I dont care, I love watching him whenever and whereever and hoping for a good run this year in the worlds.

4. Hamilton = I know, i know, that I bang on about him and im the only person in the world to be a fan of his. But I think hes great. His quirky looks and characteristics amuse me. On the table hes a decent decent player. Under rated in my opinion. His break building is seriously phenominal. He is 11th in the centuries list, ahead of stevens :litfart: and extremely close to fu and parrot. I love watching his cue action, very mechanical and he is an extremely methodical player, like selby and ebdon, which I LOVE to watch. I am ahead of my age I know. But its true, I love watching these slower methodical players. I also met him a couple of times at the EPTC4 and every time he stopped for a chat, ended up getting to know him quite well! Was a great guy with a very good sense of humour. So laid back and very cooooooool maaaaaan <cool> :ahh: An all round favourite of mine.

5. Neil Robertson = This is the first player I remember following properly and enjoy watching. He was the first player I met at the Masters 2007 and he lit my love for snooker. Had my photo taken with him and a hug from him and it was a special memory. I preffered watching him when he was an all out attacking player playing flamboyant shots with stupid amounts of spin, but now he really is the complete package and still a joy to watch. His breakbuilding still not superior , but long potting is stupidly good and his safety game is now right up there. With a fantastic attitude and such positive approach he will go far. And I admire his positive approach, really is good to watch. He tries extremely hard on every shot and is becoming ever so slowly more methodical. Great player, Great attitude.

I had some others I wanted to put in here but had to choose five, these players basically come in joint places in the top 5.

I would have else, Ronnie, Swail, Dale, Higgins and Ebdon.

6. Higgins = What hes done since his return is just amazing. I mean COME ON!? How hes done it is beyond me. He is by far the best player the past decade and a half. Best all round player EVER. He has coped tremendously with his dad dying and I believe he is 100 % innocent all the way in that horrible scam. He is by far the favourite for me to win this years worlds, and if I had my last tenner on anyone to win a match, it would be this man. Truely incredible all round player.

7. Ebdon = I almost think I love watching this player as much as williams, but in a different way. His shot selection and shot execution is unbelievably wierd but a joy to watch. Even at the moment when he isnt on great form he is fun to watch. The determination in every inch of his body and every face he pulls deserves applause. His levels of concentration are stunning and any match involving him is interesting. I know hes slow, but again like I said, I love this! He is also a very good player. Only 4 centuries behind jimmy white, looking to over take him I should imagine. And his win in china 09 proves his career his nowhere near over. That win was incredible and meant more to him than winning the worlds, I was rooting him all the way. His eccentric style and flamboyant character is great and extremely funny. Not to mention what a great guy he is. Met him twice and he offered his hand to shake and gave me a card that he signed wishing me well and genuinley being a proffessionally great man. :hatoff:

8. Dominic Dale = LEGEND. Such a character and an actually unbelievable player. Very nice man, has the time for everyone and extremely funny its beyond belief. I have booked up for more coaching next thursday at gloucester and sarah made sure it was on a day where dom would be there, so I will be coached on a table very near him while he prepares for the WC! Hoping to have a chat with him wishing him the best and telling him he will have all my support. Cant wait :love:

9. Swail = I dont think hes had the best of times in life, he suffers with problems such as being 30 % deph. But since I first saw him in the worlds against wenbo, I knew id like this guy! Since then I have supported him against everyone. His run to the welsh final in 08 was stunning. In his interview after his semi he was in floods of tears, the game means a lot to him, and i love to see emotion so much (hence not liking ding and liking people like ebdon and swail). Not only did he get there but played awesome stuff and beat some good players. On his day he always beats top players, such as allen and murphy at the german masters earlier this year! I dearly hope we havent seen the end of him yet. And im glad Alexopaul is a big fan of his too, good to see he has some fans. He is a true gentleman off the table too and has a lot of respect from other players. Met him and he seemed very nice but quite shy.

10. Ronnie = On his day he is simply the best. His technical ability when breakbuilding is fascinating and the best ever to watch. I dont need to say much else as its pretty obvious. Its very sad to see him fading and acting a complete fool. But I hope he comes back to form soon, as I miss him a lot!

:-)
Last edited by randam05 on 07 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.