Topic locked

Best is yet to come - Robertson

Postby GJ

Neil Robertson has warned his rivals he has yet to reach his peak as he aims to become the first first-time winner to defend the World Snooker Championship.

The Australian, who beat Graeme Dott in last year's final, faces China Open winner Judd Trump in the first round.

"I'm only 29, so I'd love to win more world titles and also the UK and Masters crowns," he told BBC Sport.

"I need to get the best out of my talent and I still haven't made the most of my natural ability."

He added: "I'm good enough to win multiple world titles.

source : BBC WEBSITE

for full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/12991249.stm

Re: Best is yet to come - Robertson

Postby GJ

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Postby GJ

Rocket_ron wrote:robertson is the sort of player who will be a consistant business-end player for years to come

:hatoff:

Postby Rocket_ron

GJ wrote:
Rocket_ron wrote:robertson is the sort of player who will be a consistant business-end player for years to come

its the truth!! only trump and ding pose a problem in his half. get past trump and its a cake walk to semi-final / final

although i see a player from the bottom half winning the title this year

Postby Tubberlad

Rocket_ron wrote:
GJ wrote:

its the truth!! only trump and ding pose a problem in his half. get past trump and its a cake walk to semi-final / final

Yeah, I agree, Mark Selby & Graeme Dott are both rubbish and won't so much as take a frame off Robbo should they meet :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Rocket Ron is spot on that first match against Trump is the key to Robbos success this year.....

in a way he needs to boss trump and put the fear of god in to others how hes beaten him....

i think it will be a close match but with Trump trying to live as a champion i see Robbo winning 10-7 or 10-8.

Postby Rocket_ron

Tubberlad wrote:
Rocket_ron wrote:
GJ wrote:

Yeah, I agree, Mark Selby & Graeme Dott are both rubbish and won't so much as take a frame off Robbo should they meet :hatoff:

lol tubbs

Postby GJ

Tubberlad wrote:
Rocket_ron wrote:
GJ wrote:

robbo knows to beat dotty just slow things down a little :hatoff:

Against selby it will be a 50/50 call as they havnt played a big long format match against each other yet :hatoff:

Postby Tubberlad

Okay, I don't talk about Robertson very much, but here goes.

He faces a tricky opener against a really exciting young player, and whatever way it goes I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Robertson should win in my opinion. First round matches tend to be a pain in the bottom, you just want to get over the line. Robbo would benefit from a real difficult first round examination, it would stand him in good stead.

He's a worthy World Champion. I think he was the best player last season, and has come on leaps and bounds from six or seven years ago. For the hard work he has put in, it was really well earned, and he seems like a great bloke. He welled up a bit after his semi-final last year when interviewed by the Beeb, and it was a genuine nice moment.

As a player, the guy is quality. His potting is scary and his all round game does not strike me as being weak really in any department. Mentally, he is very tough, six out of six in ranking finals is a very impressive return, you literally can't ask for any more than that.

I'd love to see him play Selby in a semi-final. With his record as a winner, I think Robertson could very well make the final again this year. Is he a title contender? Of course.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:Come on, Robbo v Selby semi!

Premier League aside, I can't recall a meeting between the two! They're both quality, so it's a hard one to believe...

Postby GJ

:happy: :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

hendry might put the spanner in that one :ahh:

Postby randam05

A robbo selby semi would be the best semi I could possibly wish for. Infact yes, I love the sound of that! COME ON! with a williams higgins second semi OMG how good does that sound!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

It'll be tough for Robbo this year. That opening match could be very close and things could get emotional (remember Dott).

I'm certain Robbo won't defend his title not so much because of the Crucible curse but for the Defender Curse. In 2009 I thought exactly like GJ: Ronnie will find some way and then things get tough he'll switch up a gear. But it didn't happen. Same with Higgins. And if Ronnie, Higgins and Williams aren't capable of defending a world title (they had 8 chances to do so) Robbo will also fail. That's written in stone for me.

If you are the world champion you have that special status that little extra something which makes you look mighty and unbeatable. All season that status isn't in danger. But there's that one tournament at the end which could bring an end to all that glory. I think its this unbelievable pressure of losing something you're desperately trying to retain.

Also the standard of play is higher than ever - winning a title nowadays got a lot more difficult than in the Hendry/Davis era.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 07 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

Robbo's form going into this years isn't as good as it was last year, but he is a Crucible player and if you're a Crucible player you can turn up with bad form and start playing at your best.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:Robbo's form going into this years isn't as good as it was last year, but he is a Crucible player and if you're a Crucible player you can turn up with bad form and start playing at your best.

:spot on:

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:

hendry might put the spanner in that one :ahh:

pmsl

Postby jojo

robertson will lose to trump in the first round i think after the world open his form hasnt been great maybe understandable as his priorities changing or at least a transitional period after getting used to having a kid

once he gets used to adaptng to having a child he will start winning titles again but he wont dominate in the future theres quite a few players capable of winning and higgins and williams are back in the mix aswell

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:robertson will lose to trump in the first round i think after the world open his form hasnt been great maybe understandable as his priorities changing or at least a transitional period after getting used to having a kid

once he gets used to adaptng to having a child he will start winning titles again but he wont dominate in the future theres quite a few players capable of winning and higgins and williams are back in the mix aswell

hopefully your prediction is as accurate as your chelsea to win last night prediction

ha ha <laugh>

Postby jojo

we will see it only half time we will win again at old trafford like last time you celebrating at half time when it only 1-0 that what you call premature ejaculation you will be impotent ha

and going back to trump that week in china has changed everything before i would have said robertson now trumps got more dimension to his game mental toughness the way selby came at him wise shot selection maturity and bottle along with a first ranking win

Postby GJ

There is a thing called a let down after your first big title

we will see .......

Postby jojo

i will be supporting robertson but it wont be easy for him in the first round however if he wins that he going to reach semis at least

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:There is a thing called a let down after your first big title

we will see .......

yes people are focusing on Robbo and they forgeting the pressure Trump will be under pressure hes never known before.

for years he was the hunter trying to get somewhere get up the rankings get in the top 16 now hes done it and won a Major Championship..

both will be under massive pressure in that match for roughly the same reason.. Neil Robertson is used to it Judd isnt.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:There is a thing called a let down after your first big title

we will see .......

yes people are focusing on Robbo and they forgeting the pressure Trump will be under pressure hes never known before.

for years he was the hunter trying to get somewhere get up the rankings get in the top 16 now hes done it and won a Major Championship..

both will be under massive pressure in that match for roughly the same reason.. Neil Robertson is used to it Judd isnt.

Judd has been under extreme pressure for years now from himself (as he was a serial winner at youth level) and would of felt pressure to continue winning when he transitioned from amateur to pro level, from the snooker public who love to get the hype wagon into fourth gear, and from his fellow pros who would of known about his reputation and would of been really up for any match with him. I expect many journeymen have relished playing Judd because of the hype that surrounded him, that in itself has created extra grief/pressure on him. <ok>

Postby Wildey

yes

i dont think no player has had the expectations on him trump has had apart from maybe Ding so maybe winning will manifest itself differently on him only time will tell.