Post a reply

World Championship Build Up

Postby Alex0paul

Does anyone else do anything special for the lead up to the World Championships in the week before? I usually watch my 96-05 DVD of the Heritage Room and then the night before I put on the 30 years of Embassy snooker one.

I usually do struggle to sleep the night before, sad I know, but thankfully this year I have a party on the evening before so at least the consumption of booze will help me drift off for the early 10am start.

I cannot wait.

Re: World Championship Build Up

Postby Smart

Stock up on booze, spend hours looking at betting odds and variations on accys etc, formulate a plan of take-aways to have on which day, work out at what time I will take some exercise and/or play some pool or darts in between viewing.........

The main thing is plenty of stocks of booze and snacks and planning the take-aways so that there is great variation. :hatoff:

Postby PLtheRef

Been watching the 1990 final on youtube, stvmcal-s the user, got to final session now

Postby Alex0paul

Smart wrote:
jojo wrote:most people have a twiddle the night before ha

or whilst its on :hatoff:

I think GJ waited until the tournament was over last year

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:gj will be impotent at the end of the first days play i think judd will win ha

will jojo back this up in predicts unlike others :hatoff:

1 trump picker so far ha ha

Postby randam05

I usually watched a snooker DVD the night before :)

I have never had this much excitement for a WC before. I think cause all the other years it was on, I wasnt part of the island, so there was no build up to it. But you can really get excited for it on here and everyone makes it feel a special tiome of the year. The whole Island has changed recently and been focused a lot more towards snooker! IM EXCITED :D

Postby jojo

gj make no mistake about it pal i will make the predictions but will wait until next friday theres enough time now is too early

Postby Smart

jojo wrote:gj make no mistake about it pal i will make the predictions but will wait until next friday theres enough time now is too early

I think GJ wants everyone to predict today.....................he can then link them to his hotline to Robbo's twitter rofl rofl rofl

Postby GJ

the 2 proper wc's have predicted the one farcical champ still waiting

ha ha

Postby vodkadiet

Isn't 'Build up' what they give you in hospital after you have been ill, so you can get your strength back?

Postby Tubberlad

I don't really do anything in preparation for it, but there's a great excitement in waiting for it.

During the tournament I normally eat a hefty amount and there's one or two or six cans had for the evening sessions of bigger games.

Postby randam05

Me and jade last year went down Morrisons with say a 10er each and bought lots of junk food such as super noodles, sweets and chocolate, pringles, dips, fizzy drinks, pasta, tinned food, breadsticks and so on, the evening before it starts. So then when its on we have LOTS of nibbles to munch on through the matches. PERFECT! So I think we may just do it again this year then settle in for a snooker DVD all ready for the saturday!

Postby GJ

It is mate for me i have booked 2 weeks off but it starts from sunday day 2 so i will only see first few frames of robbo v trump match , then work till evening but i will see nearly all of concluding session :-)

then i can enjoy rest of the worlds

:happy: :D

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:most people have a twiddle the night before ha

I would say most people in the world don't twiddle the night before. By a very, very slight percentage of a fraction there are more females then males in the world, so that can't be true...

They could be twiddling somebody else the night before, I suppose.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:Stock up on booze, spend hours looking at betting odds and variations on accys etc, formulate a plan of take-aways to have on which day, work out at what time I will take some exercise and/or play some pool or darts in between viewing.........

The main thing is plenty of stocks of booze and snacks and planning the take-aways so that there is great variation. :hatoff:

I'm intrigued by this. Do you really plan the takeaways for every day. Even in my most forward planning mode I might think; "No plans tomorrow, so I'll order a pizza in and treat myself." You were saying though you have a differet takeaway every day, making sure you have the cash?. Do you plan the whole week, and have some kind of rota? Or do you just decide on five or six you like in advance and tick them off a list?

Postby SnookerFan

It's going to be weird for me this year. In 2006 I was up on the first day of The Crucible, and every year since I've been up for the first weekend. Last year I was there Saturday, Sunday and Monday. So I usually a "I'm going to The Crucible buzz" the week before. No real traditions, though I texted all my mates one year every day for a week going; "Another day of work over, 7 days to go. Crucible countdown continues." ; "Another day of work over, 6 days to go. Crucible countdown continues." ; ""Another day of work over, 5 days to go. Crucible countdown continues." etc.... It got mixed responses. <laugh>

This year, however I'm going solely to the final, and I must confess I am nervous. Will I get two see at least one player I like? Will it be a good match? I can't judge how excited I am without knowing who is involved, and it has cost me a lot of money.... So I may get a bit nervous.

However, I might take up Smart's options of having plenty of takeaways. I tried a decent pizza delivery place a few weeks ago, where you can get a ten-inch pizza, a box of chicken wings, four pieces of garlic bread and a can of soda for £10. Independently owned place. It was quite nice, so I will use that at least once over Crucible fortnight and it will become the main focus of one of my day's off. Also have a KFC imitation at the end of my road, called Chicken In a Box....

So, yeah. I guess my tradition is to get excited and talk about it in great detail, whether you want to hear ir or not. I've just list two takeaways that I've had recently that were nice. By 15th April, you'll be knowing what lagers I will be buying from where, what snacks I've picked up, what days I'm wearing my Hurricane Higgins T-Shirt, what snooker loving friends Ill be watching snooker with, and pretty much annoying everybody with inane snooker waffle.

Be warned!

Postby Monique

I'm going to be there for the duration and hopefully take loads of pictures. I will also record players interviews and report to "snookered" magazine. I'm going there without any expectations regarding my favourite player. So everything will be a bonus.
I don't care who wins it, except for ONE player, so I'll pretty much enjoy the snooker. Roll on!
And I rejoyce in meeting fellow snooker fans.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:I'm going to be there for the duration and hopefully take loads of pictures. I will also record players interviews and report to "snookered" magazine. I'm going there without any expectations regarding my favourite player. So everything will be a bonus.
I don't care who wins it, except for ONE player, so I'll pretty much enjoy the snooker. Roll on!

except for ONE player

J H <laugh> ;-)

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:
Monique wrote:I'm going to be there for the duration and hopefully take loads of pictures. I will also record players interviews and report to "snookered" magazine. I'm going there without any expectations regarding my favourite player. So everything will be a bonus.

except for ONE player

J H <laugh> ;-)

I'd love to see John Higgins win it

<laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Andrew Pagett?

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:

Andrew Pagett?

ronald :boo: