Topic locked

Williams wins in Finland

Postby Wildey

http://www.global-snooker.com/global-sn ... 220210.asp

Mark Williams confirmed his recent good form by winning the Finnish Open

The Finnish Open followed the successful model played across Europe in playing round robin groups followed by a knock out stage.

It gave Finnish spectators a rare opportunity to watch some of the top pros in action and also the chance to see former pro Robin Hull back in action.

Hull, the home town favourite, was forced to relinquish his professional status due to illness but he racked up a series of wins during the even to show he's still a test for the top players.

Although he dropped a match to Irish professional David Hogan at the group stage, he still qualified and went on to edge out another former pro Darren Morgan 4-3 in the last 16.

He followed that with a 5-3 win over Ken Doherty and reached the final thanks to a nailbiting 5-4 win over Matthew Stevens.

But that was the end of the hopes of the locals for a Finnish winner as Mark Williams ran away to a 6-1 win.

Matthew Stevens, who beat fellow Welshman Ryan Day 5-3 in the quarter finals, posted the weekend's top break of 133 but he also missed a 147 attempt on 112.

Brendan O'Donoghue missed the yellow on 120, when chasing a maximum and Mark Williams broke down on 128 with a 141 beckoning.

i think this quote has to take the title for overexaggeration of the month.

Mark Williams confirmed his recent good form by winning the Finnish Open

rofl rofl rofl

Re: Williams wins in Finland

Postby Wildey

lets face it if thats all he has to shout about a Q/F against Burden a S/F against Hogan and a Final against Hull it does signal finnished.

Postby Roland

I don't see why you are belitting his achievements. He entered an event, won, and probably got some skiing/boarding in while he was there.

Postby Wildey

im not belittling him im laughing at the quote from globalsnooker.

Bingham has made a career out of winning these small tournaments its not a confirmation of anything is it mate..

Mark is my second fave player and im glad hes starting to play better its brilliant for the sport and me but put it in perspective.

Postby Roland

I still don't understand what point you're trying to prove. That Williams was one of only a handful of top players prepared to travel that far for such an event?

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:I still don't understand what point you're trying to prove. That Williams was one of only a handful of top players prepared to travel that far for such an event?

agree with you on this sonny :wave:

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sonny wrote:Did he bring emu along for support? :redneck:

I think you'll find that was Rod.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I still don't understand what point you're trying to prove. That Williams was one of only a handful of top players prepared to travel that far for such an event?

the point is there is no point but for buck sakes how is winning this confirming that the once all conquering World Champion is back in form. all its confirming he went on a bucking airplane <ok>

Postby Eirebilly

wildJONESEYE wrote:

the point is there is no point but for intercourse sakes how is winning this confirming that the once all conquering World Champion is back in form. all its confirming he went on a intercoursing airplane <ok>

What it does imply is that Williams is continuing his recent run of good form. OK he didnt have to beat the best but he won a tournement and winning breeds confidence.

I would say it means he's putting the effort in again. Either that, or there are some good Poker schools in Finland.

Postby Eirebilly

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I would say it means he's putting the effort in again. Either that, or there are some good Poker schools in Finland.

Its also keepinh him in competitive form which can only be good <ok>

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

the point is there is no point but for intercourse sakes how is winning this confirming that the once all conquering World Champion is back in form. all its confirming he went on a intercoursing airplane <ok>

What it does imply is that Williams is continuing his recent run of good form. OK he didnt have to beat the best but he won a tournement and winning breeds confidence.

Bingham been winning these small events for ever doesn't mean nothing when facing the best in a ranking event but it does show he wants it by going where the action is.

eirebilly wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I would say it means he's putting the effort in again. Either that, or there are some good Poker schools in Finland.

Its also keepinh him in competitive form which can only be good <ok>

Bang on billy, nothing like keeping match sharp, means the Man's thinking doesn't it. <ok>
Nailed on for 'teh' worlds. <laugh>

Postby Rocket_ron

NedB-H wrote:Another event they could easily give ranking points to :chin:

NED your right there <ok> All these small events could do with better sponsers and ranking points, low points like welsh open would be a good start

Postby Rocket_ron

The Cueist wrote::roll: Williams still has class.

i agree the way he is cueing lately and potting balls again is truely frigtening, watch out for him at the china open. you saw it here first folks

Postby The Cueist

<ok> Williams has the talent bottle and skill to turn it back on,He could still win this years worlds if he gets a bit of "Run of the ball". <ok>

Postby Roland

If Selby doesn't win it this year then I want Williams get number 3 and join the others. What a story that would be if he could pull it off

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If Selby doesn't win it this year then I want Williams get number 3 and join the others. What a story that would be if he could pull it off

thats a nice story but boarding on Alice in Wanderland mate.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:If Selby doesn't win it this year then I want Williams get number 3 and join the others. What a story that would be if he could pull it off

and you (sonny) would pull something else off as well bad monkey

<laugh>

Postby mediter

SnookerFan wrote:When you say he beat Hogan, was that Hulk Hogan? <laugh>

I bet Hulk Hogan´s daughter can strike the cue beautifully... :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

mediter wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:When you say he beat Hogan, was that Hulk Hogan? <laugh>

I bet Hulk Hogan´s daughter can strike the cue beautifully... :bowdown:

im sure your right <ok>