Topic locked

Re: WC 2011 R1: Mark Selby vs Jimmy Robertson

Postby SnookerFan

I don't know much about Jimmy Robertson, so I just wiki'd him.

Jimmy "Robbo" Robertson (born May 3, 1986) is an English professional snooker player.

He was on the main tour for 2002/2003 where he was the youngest player on the tour. He qualified for the main tour again in 2007/2008, by becoming the number One Ranked English Amateur, through winning the EASB (English Governing Body) pro-Ticket Tour Rankings.

Robertson also won the EASB Pro-Ticket tour for a second time in April 2009,to finish as Englands Number one Amateur for the second time, which guaranteed him a place on World Snookers main Professional tour for the 3rd time for the 2009/10 season. He also added the English Amateur Championships to his portfolio of victories, by beating David Craggs 9–8.[1]

His third return to the professional main tour ranks in 2009/10, saw him rise up the ranks, to number 63 in the world. He got off to a terrific start in the first event, the Shanghai Masters, where he won his first three qualifiers, and then faced former world champion Graeme Dott. Despite taking a 4-1 lead, Robertson lost 4-5.

In 2010/11, Robertson continued to rise up the rankings. He also qualified for the main draw of a ranking event for the first time, at the 2011 World Snooker Championship. He defeated Xiao Guodong, Tony Drago, and former world champion Ken Doherty to qualify for his Crucible debut.

Re: WC 2011 R1: Mark Selby vs Jimmy Robertson

Postby SnookerFan

Sounds like he's been round the tour a bit, at 24. But this is his first ranking event. Take from that what you will.

You might think that The Wolrd Championship was a great place to start, but it could be a terrible place to start. The Crucible is always an intimidating place the first time you go. Due to being closed in, sat right by the fans, so you can hear them breathe. Could this work as a disadvantage.

For me, this just doesn't have that ooh factor that Ding and Maflin did at the China Open. Maybe just because it was in Ding's backyard. Though Kurt was about as low as you can possibly be ranked and still on the main tour. So that had a real David vs Goliath feel. And the fact that when I wiki'd Kurt, about 100 pages worth of information came up and it showed me picture after picture of him. (Slight exaggeration for point making ability.) Either wikipedia is run by his mum, or he has achieved a lot at amatur.

This match doesn't have the same feel to it. And, you can feel that however Robertson plays, he'll feel the nerves eventually. Most newbies do. It'd be good to see him Zhanger this chance, and run Selby close. The last thing we want is another Joe Delaney at The Crucible.

Good luck Jimmy, but Selby should flatten him handily.