Topic locked

Flash back to 2005 ?

Postby GJ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 451655.stm

This was the dramatic opener in 2005 and i see a few similarities with this years opener.
In that match maguire was the young gun and full of confidence and in great form and ronnie was defending champion.

Fast forward to 2011 Trump is in great form having just won the china opena and robbo is defending champion.
I have a feeling this match will be equally as dramatic as the opener of 2005.
Both players will be under pressure from the start and the crucible can make or break a player so for me its all on the day.

Im hoping its a crucible classic :hatoff:

Re: Flash back to 2005 ?

Postby Bourne

That's the most balanced you've been about this match fair play :hatoff: It's very much on the day and I think it's a great thing that the whole match will be on the same day because it could lose some of it's spark if you had an afternoon session which concluded the next day. This is just gona be a heavy full-on day of snooker and I can't bucking wait !

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:That's the most balanced you've been about this match fair play :hatoff: It's very much on the day and I think it's a great thing that the whole match will be on the same day because it could lose some of it's spark if you had an afternoon session which concluded the next day. This is just gona be a heavy full-on day of snooker and I can't bucking wait !

im pumped already cant wait

:hatoff: :D

Postby Tubberlad

Hmmm... interesting comparison GJ

First of all, in 2005, I felt that both men were the two best players in the World. Maguire had hammered O'Sullivan twice that season and won a deserved UK, but O'Sullivan had won three rankers and a Masters.

I felt that match was a tastier one, but Maguire has completely gone the wrong way since. Trump won't be like that, at least I really don't hope he is...

That said, it's a cracking matchup between two potentially great players <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

I have a feeling this match will be an anti climax, with Robertson winning quite easily.

Postby Tubberlad

vodkadiet wrote:I have a feeling this match will be an anti climax, with Robertson winning quite easily.

Robertson will win it about 10-7...

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:I have a feeling this match will be an anti climax, with Robertson winning quite easily.

I'm not going to predict a winner, but you do wonder if it'll be an anticlimax, don't you? We were hearing how excellent this match was even before the China Open.

I am more confident of a good match now though, after seeing Sunday's final. If Trump plays that way again, we're going to see a good'un.

Postby Roland

The pressure will be on Robbo as defending champion. I fancy whichever player first opens up a 2 frame lead.

Postby Casey

That missed black by Maguire at 9-7 has been extremely costly to her career! He was on a high, beating all the top pros, since then he has never been the same player.

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:That missed black by Maguire at 9-7 has been extremely costly to her career! He was on a high, beating all the top pros, since then he has never been the same player.

Spot on casey just shows that the crucible and can make or break a player and some never recover

Maguire has had no consistency since like he did in that season when he was beating everyone

Postby PLtheRef

I feel the same about this match, it'd not surprise me if Jan says at 10-30 to 11pm ish next Saturday night, 'final frame'

Judd and Stephen are actually in similar situations, Stephen came to the Crucible with a UK title in 2004, comfortably beating anyone in his path. This followed a run to the British Open final. And given he was provisionally 3rd, he was second to Ronnie in the betting for the World Championships by the time April came around. Judd's on a huge high, winning his first ranking title, and securing a place in the elite, which many tipped him for a long time ago.

The key thing here is experience. - Both Stephen in 2005 and Judd in 2011 had never won a match at the Crucible, and I think thats the one thing that will play into Neils favour, especially if it goes 8-8 or 9-9.

Postby SnookerFan

Though Trump didn't look nervous when it went 8-8 in the final on Sunday, and he'd never been in a ranking final before. So, you never know, he might be able to come through.