Post a reply

Player of the (regular) season 2010-2011 ?

Poll ended at 16 Apr 2011

Mark Williams
25%
Mark Selby
6%
Ding Junhui
6%
John Higgins
50%
Shaun Murphy
No votes
Judd Trump
13%
Matthew Stevens
No votes
Martin Gould
No votes

Total votes : 16

Player of the (regular) season 2010-2011

Postby Bourne

We have one of these every year but 9 times out of 10 are won by the player who wins the Worlds, so now with a more packed schedule this season and more tournaments, we can have one before the Worlds ! Vote for who you think has been the player of the season, try to be unbiased:

Mark Williams - Back at world number-one, won an 18th ranking tournament in the inaugural German Masters and lost a tight UK final to John Higgins.

Mark Selby - Won PTC2 in the summer and comfortably qualified for the PTC finals where he made semi-finals, lost tight finals in Germany and China to Williams and Judd Trump, up to a career-high ranking of number 2.

Ding Junhui - Not quite reached the level of last season but a maiden Masters title (third major) along with victory in PTC5 helped him to a career-high 3 in the rankings.

John Higgins - A remarkable run of 26 wins in 27 ranking matches on his return from a ban, including an epic UK Championship final win and a third Welsh Open title in February.

Shaun Murphy - Maiden winner of the PTC Finals in Dublin after finishing 1st in the Order of Merit. Semi-finalist in the UK and China maintained his consistent level of form for another season.

Judd Trump - Started the season ranked 27 in the world, steady progress throughout the season (qualifying for 6 out of 7 venues) including EPTC1 victory saw him on the verge of the top-16 before a dramatic win in the China Open, beating Selby in a tight final. Now ranked 14 in the world and the youngest ranking winner since Ding 5 years ago.

Matthew Stevens - Dropped to a disappointing 25 in the world last season but has fought back into the top-16 again, qualified for the PTC Finals, quarter-finalist at Shanghai and Wales as a qualifier and won a dramatic final-framer to qualify for the Crucible. Also qualified for Premier League next year with Championship League win.

Martin Gould - First ranking quarter-final at the World Open was soon followed by a tough loss to Dominic Dale in PTC6, but Gould qualified for the PTC Finals where he was a surprise finalist to Murphy. Qualified for World Championships for a third time and hovering just outside the top-16.

Re: Player of the (regular) season 2010-2011

Postby SnookerFan

I can't see that it's anybody other then Higgins. Despite the ban, he's won more then anybody else. UK Champion, Welsh Open champion, won his first tournament after returning.

A more interesting question would be; Is there anybody who by winning at Sheffield can overtake Higgins to the title of Player of the Season?

Postby Wildey

ive voted Higgins

but for referance heres how i rank the others

1 John Higgins---well hes won 2 Ranking titles including the UK
2 Mark Williams--won 1 ranking title and played in the UK Final a whisker away from winning
3 Mark Selby---played in 2 ranking finals and been the most consistant player since christmas plus top of the one year Rankings
4 Ding Junhui---Masters Champion and been consistant performer
5 Judd Trump---China Open winner and 5th on the one year list
6 Shaun Murphy-PTC Winner
7 Matthew Stevens--CL Winner
8 Martin Gould--- PTC Runner up and Top 10 in the one year Rankings

Postby SelbyFan

I've gone for Selby. Not because he's my favorite, but because of the commitment and dedication he's shown to the circuit. He played in everyone on of the PTC's, and a very consistent player in the major tournaments.

Postby GJ

simplysnooker wrote:No Robbo :D

yes and he has a bbc ranking title this season and wiggy hasnt

:happy:

Postby randam05

I kind of wanted to vote williams too, But im glad john higgins has the most, cause i know not many people like him so its nice for them to admit hes been the best <ok>

Postby Casey

Williams isn't number 1 yet, he is only provisional number 1.

Has to be Higgins, 2 ranking victories and an EPTC. Obviously if Williams, Robbo or Murphy were to win the Worlds then they would probably take that slot.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:I kind of wanted to vote williams too, But im glad john higgins has the most, cause i know not many people like him so its nice for them to admit hes been the best <ok>

its not a popularity contest poll lol

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
randam05 wrote:I kind of wanted to vote williams too, But im glad john higgins has the most, cause i know not many people like him so its nice for them to admit hes been the best <ok>

No, but randam's right. Some people have difficulty telling the difference between a player that is good, and a player that they like.

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

No, but randam's right. Some people have difficulty telling the difference between a player that is good, and a player that they like.

Thanks SF. I dont particularly adore john higgins, but hes definitley been the best this season. And im glad some people who hate and think hes guilty are still voting for him. Although I do think some here maybe not be voting him because they hate him. Having said that, it is close between him and williams. If williams wins this years worlds he would over take John. Some did ask that earlier this thread and that is my answer as the only player who wins the WC could then over take higgins. Or maybe Ronnie :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Thanks SF. I dont particularly adore john higgins, but hes definitley been the best this season. And im glad some people who hate and think hes guilty are still voting for him. Although I do think some here maybe not be voting him because they hate him. Having said that, it is close between him and williams. If williams wins this years worlds he would over take John. Some did ask that earlier this thread and that is my answer as the only player who wins the WC could then over take higgins. Or maybe Ronnie :chin:

Ronnie. rofl Even if he wins the title, so what? It's not like he's done plenty this season, is it?