Topic locked

Reviewing of other first round matches!

Postby SnookerFan

Even before yesterday's pitch perfect final, we heard so much about the Robertson game, you could've been forgiven for thinking this was the only match of any consequence.

I think there are others though, that are just as worthy.

John Higgins vs Stephen Lee. This match was already mouthwatering, due to John Higgins being the inform player of the season, and Lee being a big name. (Add your own jokes.)

A PTC win on his first tournament back, the UK Champion, the Welsh Open champion. You can't really argue that Higgins has been tough to beat since his return. But he was edged by Murphy last week, and Stephen Lee's excellent match with Mark Williams was amazingly upstaged by the final on Sunday. But make no mistake beating Mark Williams this season would've already been impressive, even without Mark Williams making 4 centuries and a 50 break. This is going to be an immense match.

Mark Williams vs Ryan Day

The German Open champion may be seen as favourite, but Ryan Day has been winning matches himself recently. Beating Ronnie in Newport and Beijing may not be the achievement it would've been last season, but did anybody see Ryan Day's win over Jimmy White in Wales? You could be excused if you didn't, as it only lasted an hour. And Ryan was playing as good as almost anybody I've ever seen, even if it was only for one match. Every pot he made almost was a cross double. His long potting was immaculate. Everything came together for him on that day. He came in, won, and made it out in enough time to see the beginning and end of the double episode of Eastenders. If Ryan Day plays like that, he could have Williams in all sorts of trouble. But will he be able to translate best of seven form into Crucible first round form? If not Mark could kill him. Interesting one.

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Dominic Dale

Foregone conclusion, you say? Did you also say that about the Stuart Bingham game in Telford? Dale in his career tends to play well for a tournament, then do bugger all for several years following. But he has qualified for the tournament this year. You would think that him being here for the first time in seven years, the occasion would get to him. But Ronnie has let things get to him, and when was the last time he won a match in a ranking event? He pulled out of a lot of the PTCs, and the last I can remember him winning was the World Open. (Though I risk standing corrected on that one.) Conventional logic would tell you that this is a foregone conclusion for Ronnie. But even Dale has won more matches in 2011 then Ronnie has.... Will Ronnie's poor form continue, and will his lack of match sharpness count? Or will his apology to the Chinese fan last week realise he needs to kick himself into gear. The only time I look forward to the petulant one playing is when he plays John Higgins, but I'm gutted both sessions of this is on when I'm 'working'. (Let's face it, I've typed all this out in the office, Crucible fortnight I'm really distracted.) This should go to Ronnie. But, it's really not a definite.

Those are three other matches I'm looking forward to. Some are a bit twiddle this year to be fair, but feel free to look forward to add comments to the matches already mentioned, and discuss other round 1 matches at The Crucible.

Re: Reviewing of other first round matches!

Postby Smart

I like some other matches:

Allen vs Stevens

I see this as a match up of a resurgent Stevens vs a feisty, punchy left hander Allen, who there is a slight doubt about with regards to depression. The bookies are changing the odds frequently on this one, and yesterday at one point there was no option to bet on Stevens (temporarily). It seems they are not sure about this one.

Fu vs Gouldy

We know last year they played in the first round and lo and behold they do it all again this time. Fu has not hit the heights this year, but on his day is solid and grinding, methodical and ruthless. Other days he is none of the aforementioned. Gouldy is somewhat a cult figure on the Island and amongst snooker fans in general. He plays a very decent brand of snooker - very punchy and attractive style.

<ok>

Ps I enjoyed your write up of the "other matches" <ok>

Postby simplysnooker

Can't wait for it now, these 2 weeks are going to be the longest ever! Maguire/Hawkins and Dott/King look great as well, plus the matches already mentioned. Only 3/4 matches that I'm not interested in.

Postby Smart

simplysnooker wrote:Can't wait for it now, these 2 weeks are going to be the longest ever! Maguire/Hawkins and Dott/King look great as well, plus the matches already mentioned. Only 3/4 matches that I'm not interested in.

I forgot Mags/Hawks - yep I like that one too, but will watch with a hangover me thinks :chuckle:

Postby mediter

Yes, those are 3 great first round ties. But c´cmoon, anytime Mark Williams has a decent opposition, it´s a mouthwatering and great match. He´s such a great guy. And maybe same with Neil Robertson in the future. What a great guy and a player !
What about Ronnie O´Sullivan. Will he even bother to turn up ? What a tosser.

Come on mates, be impartial. John Higgins, Ronnie O`Sullivan, Mark Williams, Stephen Hendry are all phenomally good players, no point to say anything else. Give a credit where it´s due. And if O´Sullivan would play against Williams a race to 50 snooker match, O´Sullivan would win 99,5 % percentage. That´s how good Ronnie just is.

Postby Roland

Smart wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Can't wait for it now, these 2 weeks are going to be the longest ever! Maguire/Hawkins and Dott/King look great as well, plus the matches already mentioned. Only 3/4 matches that I'm not interested in.

I forgot Mags/Hawks - yep I like that one too, but will watch with a hangover me thinks :chuckle:

:coffee:

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:
Smart wrote:

:coffee:

x 3 <ok>