Topic locked

The Crucible Curse - and Neil Robertson

Postby PLtheRef

Neil Robertson on April 16th will become the 18th man to have a go at breaking the so-called Curse of the Crucible, where no first time

Previous champions have seen their curse fruitioned like this

1978 - Spencer - Rd1 lost 13-8 to Mans
1979 - Reardon - QF lost 13-8 to DN Taylor
1980 - Griffiths - Rd2 lost 13-10 to S Davis
1981 - Thorburn SF lost 16-10 to S Davis
1982 - S Davis - Rd1 lost 10-1 to Knowles
1983 - A Higgins - SF lost 16-5 to S Davis
1986 - DN Taylor - Rd1 lost 10-6 to Hallett
1987 - Johnson - FINAL lost 18-14 to S Davis
1991 - Hendry - QF lost 13-11 to James
1992 - Parrott - QF lost 13-12 to McManus
1998 - Doherty - FINAL lost 18-12 to J Higgins
1999 - J Higgins - SF lost 17-10 to Williams
2001- Williams - Rd2 lost 13-12 to Swail
2002 - O'Sullivan - SF lost 17-13 to Hendry
2003 - Ebdon - QF lost 13-12 to Hunter
2006 - Murphy QF lost 13-7 to Ebdon
2007 - Dott - Rd1 lost 10-7 to McCulloch

One stat that surprised me was that only 6 of 18 made the one table situation in their defence of the title, and that four of the remaining ten were dismissed first time out, - of those 18 champions - 8 won the title at their first time in the one table situation. - Neil's title was done with experience however.

And so to Neil's prospects
Neil's quarter draw suggests nothing against why he cant go to the one table set up for a third successive year, with the experience now regular of the 33 and 35 frame matches, and knowing how to win three session matches as well, I would say Neil should reach the semis - but the same has been said in the last few years. Its Shaun Murphy who was the last got beyond the first week as the reigning champion. - However, the semi-final might not be so kind, and if he did make it there, a lead of 10-6 at the halfway stage would be desireable.

Personally thoughh, I think Trump winning today can only help Robertson, as he knows nothing less than his best will do.

Re: The Crucible Curse - and Neil Robertson

Postby Roland

Apart from the last one it's all top players who have ended the run as well. Judd Trump top player? China Open champion?

I've not looked forward to day 1 as much as this probably ever apart from obviously the tournament kick off factor.

Postby jojo

the crucible curse will continue in my opinion i think trump will beat robertson who will be under pressure and judd wont

also his new found safety game and wiser shot selection make him far more dangerous than he would otherwise have been if you had asked me a few weeks ago who was going to win i would have said roberston comfortably but all factors considered and the maturity and bottle shown by trump in closing out the match when selby put him under pressure means robertson will have his work cut out

the first day will be highly exciting a bit like when bingham beat hendry in 2000

Postby Wildey

jojo

i think winning this week has increased the pressure on trump for that match not decreased it.

all of a sudden that first Saturday has gone through the roof and all talk running up to it will be of Robbo v Trump.

Postby PLtheRef

John From London Town wrote:It is strange all right that no one has ever retained the trophy after winning it thier for the first time. Now, Neil Robertson looks like he's drawn the short straw. The China Open & The Crucible for the World's are different beasts tho. I still think Neil Robertson will still get to the 1/4's, at least.

Indeed, and one point I would make prevalent is that Trump has never won a match at the Crucible, however of 2 of the 3 defending champions who lost in round one under the best of 19 frame system, did so to players who'd not won a match.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:jojo

i think winning this week has increased the pressure on trump for that match not decreased it.

all of a sudden that first Saturday has gone through the roof and all talk running up to it will be of Robbo v Trump.

It's an interesting point. I think there was attention in 2008 got to him a bit, and it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to it. I think his outburst after the semi-finals showed me the attention got to him a bit. If there was one, very mild, criticism about him last week, I would say that the best way to silence critics is by ignoring them and winning tournaments. Getting to the semi-finals, and then boasting about it in an interviews makes you look foolish. Keeping quiet and winning the tournament in such style makes your detractors look foolish rather then you.

But he's young, he's come through a hard few years in his career. He's obviously dedicated to his career. And all of a sudden, all his hard work came together and he improved a hundred-fold, almost overnight. This match against Robertson has gone from something only hardcore Trump fans were trying to hype, and everybody else shrugged off, to a game where most people are finding it hard to call. The World champion vs the most recent ranking champion should be a very good match. Trump came out another very good match yesterday.

Trump has now lay down a marker to Robertson. Especially after Judd thumped Ebdon, who had already thumped Robbo WC.

That game now has various interesting stories that it didn't before. Remember it wasn't long ago we were calling Neil Robertson the best player in the world. He won the World title, then excelled in the shorter format World Open. We were calling him versatile, calling him the best player, saying he'd be hard to beat this season. Then he started oversleeping, spending more time with his daughter then with his practice table. He started missing trains, and losing his passport. Getting beaten in matches more because he'd only turned up at the venue half an hour before the game. Judd on the other hand, was just another guy a week and a half ago. Sure, he had his fanboys who bore you to death by talking about him, but which player doesn't. Now he's a tournament winner, and this is now a 50/50 match in my eyes. It'll go down to who wants it more, and who handles the pressure more.

Postby GJ

pad wrote

Personally thoughh, I think Trump winning today can only help Robertson, as he knows nothing less than his best will do.

agre 100 % pad

:hatoff:

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Apart from the last one it's all top players who have ended the run as well. Judd Trump top player? China Open champion?

I've not looked forward to day 1 as much as this probably ever apart from obviously the tournament kick off factor.

<ok>

Great thread pad :hatoff:

Stats :hatoff: