Post a reply

Liang Wenbo

Postby SnookerFan

With snooker being in China this week, got me thinking of Liang Wenbo. Not unlike this week's winner, he had a decent run at a tournament, (The Crucible) and we were told he was the next big thing. The fact that he got to a final in Shanghai backed this up. But his one problem was his safety game. In that he didn't have one, at all. He tried to pot everything.

Liang briefly flirted with the top-16, but again like Trump, he's gone through a season were he has done absolutely nothing. When Ding first came on the scene, he was the same as Liang, but with a bit higher pot success rate which took him to a few tournament wins, but post Ronnie-Masters and loss of conifdence, he has come back and improved his all round game. He gave Selby a good go on the safety stakes this week.

I always thought, that if Liang Wenbo wanted sustained success, he should adapt his game like Ding has. He's not been as successful as Ding was early on with all out potting, and has dropped down the rankings. At one point he was considered a shoo-in to overtake Ding as China's number one.

Can Liang overcome it all, and raise up the rankings again?

Re: Liang Wenbo

Postby Roland

We've not seen the last of Liang Wenbo, don't worry about that. Jamie Burnett was outstanding in beating him in the qualifiers and Liang was showing signs of his form returning. Expect him to put this season behind him and start afresh next season.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:We've not seen the last of Liang Wenbo, don't worry about that. Jamie Burnett was outstanding in beating him in the qualifiers and Liang was showing signs of his form returning. Expect him to put this season behind him and start afresh next season.

Sonny, can you see Liang winning a full ranking event in the next season or two?

Postby Bourne

Just using this article for another chance for you to have a go at Trump rofl :sleepy:

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:We've not seen the last of Liang Wenbo, don't worry about that. Jamie Burnett was outstanding in beating him in the qualifiers and Liang was showing signs of his form returning. Expect him to put this season behind him and start afresh next season.

Sonny, can you see Liang winning a full ranking event in the next season or two?

I think we'll see him in a few quarter and semi-finals

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Just using this article for another chance for you to have a go at Trump rofl :sleepy:

Not at all. Trump played immaculately over the course of the China Open, and proved your faith in him. I was merely making the poing that Liang has dropped down the list, and was wondering if he could replecated Judd's success. If anything it was a compliment to Judd.

Postby Smart

I really think it a bit derogatory to compare Liang to Ding in any sense whatsoever. Liang is not even a fraction of the player that Ding is - and I did not view Ding as and out and out potter when he first turned pro. He was not gung ho. Liang is pretty much brain dead. <ok>

Postby Roland

Liang is daring therefore he's exciting to watch

Postby Wildey

whatever the reasons behind this thread its true.

It is easier to win a tournament or get a good run than it is to carry it on Wenbo has gone off the boil and with his 2009 shanghai points coming off at the start of next season he will be out of the top 32 so he has to start next season well or the qualifying dogfight will be increasing for him.

Postby Roland

I think the extra match practice will do him good. He's better than the players in the bracket below top 32 so it's all good practice for him, should help him get back to where he belongs.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Struggled this season, personal problems I read somewhere some talent but slightly overrated aswell.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think the extra match practice will do him good. He's better than the players in the bracket below top 32 so it's all good practice for him, should help him get back to where he belongs.

if the update Rankings is after the World Open as it was this season there will be 7 PTC,Shanghai Masters and the World Open to gain Points.

plenty of chances to make up ground if players show willing and commit.

Postby Roland

There is method to his madness though. He uses the Mark Williams approach a lot of seemingly playing a wreckless shot but with a plan B in mind should it go wrong.

I love the way he plays position for tough pots like narrow angles into the middles from distance and long reds from pack area into baulk pocket. It's different and he gets a high proportion of them. He is too good not to work his way back to the top 16 at some point. Maybe a bit of fine tuning here or there but I've heard several accounts of personal problems this season without knowing more than that, and this could be the sole reason for his bad season, you just don't know.

Postby GJ

A very methodical player and is as far away from being a flair player as any current young player

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:A very methodical player and is as far away from being a flair player as any current young player

yes hes a strange one his character comes from that mr bean moment at his WC Debut and he is a character but his playing style resembles that of Terry Griffiths where everything got to be perfect before he hits the ball.

of course more attacking than Terry though but id say just as slow.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:A very methodical player and is as far away from being a flair player as any current young player

yes hes a strange one his character comes from that mr bean moment at his WC Debut and he is a character but his playing style resembles that of Terry Griffiths where everything got to be perfect before he hits the ball.

of course more attacking than Terry though but id say just as slow.

That was funny at the time, but I remember thinking at the time when people said; "This kid is a real character", I remember thinking that he's not, he just a spazz. Kept getting lost round The Crucible, walking in at the wrong time with the referees. <laugh>