Topic locked

Selbys chances at the crucible?

Postby randam05

Discuss.

I think he will make the semis again :) infact no, he will make the final and be outplayed by either higgins or williams :chin: ...yh yh thats right :spot on:

Re: Selbys chances at the crucible?

Postby SnookerFan

He played immense this final, and was just outplayed a tad by Judd. Selby's safety made Ding look foolish on Saturday.

Who knows? Can't write him off, but you could say that about half the players. :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

Whilst we're all bumming Judd Trump, I've had a look at the draw for both Selby and Trump at The Crucible to see when they can meet at the hallowed venue. It wold be a semi-final. Imagine that match, a rematch less then a month after the final we just saw. That would be epic.

Judd obviously has to get past Neil Robertson, but then has the winner of Marco Fu and Martin Gould. Trump beat Fu with ease, but I think Martin Gould would be a very tough proposition also. Mark Selby could play Hendry, then Dott/Ding.

Probably unlikely, but you never know. Both were amazing today.

Postby randam05

Snookerfan! that would immense! hahah lovin it!

Selby has the easiest route to the semis out of anyone for once. :) Actually, dott could be tough. hmmm.

Postby Roland

You must be worried GJ? This is one of the tastiest day 1 ties I can remember.

Postby Alex0paul

randam05 wrote:Snookerfan! that would immense! hahah lovin it!

Selby has the easiest route to the semis out of anyone for once. :) Actually, dott could be tough. hmmm.

Dott would play Trump in the quarters, not Selby.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Selby has a brilliant chance but loads of players are playing well, now up to 2nd in the rankings though I would have him, Williams, Murphy and Higgins as the favourites going by form this season.

Postby Tubberlad

He will have a good go at it. A Robbo-Selby semi-final is a big possibility, but Trump has really put the cat amongst the pidgeons today...

Postby jojo

mark selby has a guaranteed path into the quarter finals make no mistake about that pal he will beat the poorer robertson followed by honest joe in all likelihood i cant see hendry or honest joe giving selby any problems over a best of 25 match

ding likely to be the quarter final opponent and that will be tasty to say the least i would favour selby ding not got a great record at the crucible and their recent match here might be significant i just think selby likely to edge that the longer the match goes on if selby plays sustained good quality safety ding still liable to have his temperament tested especially at the crucible in a best of 25 match

as for the other quarter judd trump or neil robertson will have an intriguing match against graeme dott it likely to be trump

so trump v selby semi a possibility but so much snooker to be played before then it almost impossible to tell at this stage who going to beat who

Postby Bourne

Ding's problem last year was being untested in R1 by Pettman and then having a tough player in R2 who had to survive a little onslaught in R1 by Greene, and he couldn't up his game. This time he's got Burnett and then probably Ebdon, who won't give an inch, that's exactly the sort of opponent Ding needs to really force him to find his best game and if he wins and faces Selby in QF then he'll be the one match-hardened and with the momentum. It's obviously not an ideal opponent for Ding given how Selby has played this season especially today but for the first time ever I really fancy him to make a deep run in Sheffield.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul WC wrote:
randam05 wrote:Snookerfan! that would immense! hahah lovin it!

Dott would play Trump in the quarters, not Selby.

Would he? I must have misread my wall chart. rofl How do you see the odds of a Selby vs Trump rematch at the semis.

As returning legend John From London Town reminds us, The Crucible is a different kettle of fish to all other tournaments. And winning a ranker like China, or Wales, is certainly no guarantee of Crucible success.

I think we're in for a few surprises this year, especially as everybody seems so match sharp.