Topic locked

Maguire breaks arm: Doubt for World Champs

Postby vodkadiet

Stephen Maguire has reportedly broken his right arm in an accident last night, and is doubtful for Sheffield.

He has already withdrawn from The Scottish Professional Championships.

It would be a shame if he couldn't make it. I am not sure what day he is scheduled to play, but if he cannot participate surely they must bring in a replacement, ie like a lucky loser in tennis?

Re: Maguire breaks arm: Doubt for World Champs

Postby GJ

a bye for baz hawkins the only way he will ever play in roudn 2 at worlds it seems

Postby Wildey

just say it did happen a player withdraws for whatever reason from the worlds...

what would you like to happen ?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Get all the players who didn't qualify and run a tournament with the winner getting a place. The matches would be ridiculously short, but it's better than players getting a bye. Two session matches are far to long for players to be getting a bye.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Highest ranked player not in the draw comes in to replace him, I hate seeing byes.

i hate seeing players who lost in qualifiers getting a spot in the tournament.

i think next season they should use the PTC List to plug bye holes in main rankers.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Highest ranked player not in the draw comes in to replace him, I hate seeing byes.

i think next season they should use the PTC List to plug bye holes in main rankers.

So you prefer walkovers ?

Postby Roland

One of my tickets is for Hawkins v Mags, I think I may even be front row. If it is true and they play with the curtain up with table 2 in the dark I could have a session in the best position at the Crucible to soak up the atmosphere from the players point of view.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

no id like amateurs to get the chance...

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

no id like amateurs to get the chance...

:hmmm:

Postby jojo

to make it completely fair i would pick a draw out the hat from all the qualifiers who missed out at the final hurdle

this would be exciting and completely neutral and obective and nobody can moan this way because everyone that is all players who lost in the final qualifying round were all in the hat and had an equal chance

Postby Bourne

jojo wrote:to make it completely fair i would pick a draw out the hat from all the qualifiers who missed out at the final hurdle

this would be exciting and completely neutral and obective and nobody can moan this way because everyone that is all players who lost in the final qualifying round were all in the hat and had an equal chance

Yeh i'd go with that, anything but pointless walkovers. In fact it's probably more fair than highest non-qualifier <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

But where do you go in the final hurdle? All those who lost 10-9, 10-8 etc?

The problem is that when a precedent has been created its hard to break

Postby Wildey

naaaa once they lost they out so long :wave:

close the door on the way out <ok>

Daniel Wells 30th on the PTC List opportunity knocks :clap:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Has anybody ever pulled out of The Crucible before?

ive watched every one since 1981 and i cant remember although some pulled out of second sessions of matches not feeling well.