Topic locked

I have been looking at the past 10 years WC's on wiki.

Postby randam05

And discovered some great matches and interesting things. First im going to look at my three favourites, Hamilton, Dale and Swail :-) .

I cant believe ebdon wasnt in the top 16 in 1999 ? :hmm:

Anthony Hamilton was a lot better than I thought. Beat jimmy white 10-9 first round in 1997. Second round in 1998. Making quarters in 2000 beating fu and doherty, :shock: , second round in 2001, quarters in 2002 beating williams in second round :clap: and losing to ebdon in quarters(dream match for me) , quarters in 2004 beating swail (in a match id love to see! a must buy!) and davis! , second round 2005, quarters in 2007 beating fu and mcculloch.

Dominic Dale at the crucible

1999 = Dominic Dale scored 167 points in one frame in the match against Nigel Bond. He earned 44 penalty points and then made a century break. It's the highest number of points ever scored by a player in one frame in any ranking event.

Second round in 1997 beating drago 10-9 round 1! Quarters in 2000 beating ebdon in the first round, beating david gray 13-1 in round 2 :shock: and losing to swail in the quarters. (A match that I NEED to buy!)

Joe swail at the crucible.

Joe Swail returned to the Top 16 in the snooker world rankings after reaching the semi-final against Matthew Stevens. He became the first former top 16 player to drop out of the top 32 only to return to the top 16. For this, he was awarded £500 and a carriage clock
Swail's place in the Top 16 ended Steve Davis' long run in the elite.

Semi finals in 2000 :shock: Beating Paul hunter, john parrot in a decider and dominic dale in quarters! (In the match I NEED to buy :D )
Semi finals in 2001 :shock: Beating storey in a decider first round, williams in decider second round :shock: , wallace in quarters and gave a good fight against ronnie in the semis! Amazing.
Beat williams in the first round 2007 :shock: YET ANOTHER MATCH ID LOVE TO SEE!
Second round in 2008 where he played in a superb second round with wenbo, one of my fav matches of all time. And qualified in various other years.

I know no one is intersted as they hate these players, but they are by far my three favourite qualifiers, and they done more than I thought in the early 2000's. I missed out :-(
Last edited by randam05 on 31 Mar 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Re: I have been looking at the past 10 years WC's on wiki.

Postby Roland

Hamilton at his best never looked like missing and he is one of the best break-builders of all time. He was on over 100 centuries before most people had even heard of him. I remember both him and Swail knocking out Mark Williams because I was obviously cheering on Williams and I know Hamilton is just the sort of player when at his best can neutralise Mark and get the better of him which is why I always looked out for his position in the draw in relation to Williams.

Swail was a prodigy and was on things like Big Break years before he started to show his true potential. He is ridiculously talented and when flowing times the ball better than anyone. His cue action is fascinating to watch and he is at his most dangerous when behind in a match which makes him a pretty fascinating hybrid of player.

Postby randam05

Alex0paul WC wrote:
randam05 wrote:I cant believe ebdon wasnt in the top 16 in 1999 or 2000? :hmm:

He was

Well I thought he was but look at the draw on these two links. It shows him as the qualifier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_World ... ampionship

And infact looking at 2000 he was in the top 16 my bad. But 1999 says he not.

Postby Alex0paul

randam05 wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:

He was

Well I thought he was but look at the draw on these two links. It shows him as the qualifier.

No he is lower as all the winners are named first. Stevens was a qualifier.

Postby randam05

Sonny wrote:Hamilton at his best never looked like missing and he is one of the best break-builders of all time. He was on over 100 centuries before most people had even heard of him. I remember both him and Swail knocking out Mark Williams because I was obviously cheering on Williams and I know Hamilton is just the sort of player when at his best can neutralise Mark and get the better of him which is why I always looked out for his position in the draw in relation to Williams.

Swail was a prodigy and was on things like Big Break years before he started to show his true potential. He is ridiculously talented and when flowing times the ball better than anyone. His cue action is fascinating to watch and he is at his most dangerous when behind in a match which makes him a pretty fascinating hybrid of player.

I like that sonny :hatoff: Thats why I like them a lot. And theyre quite characters.

But I really really love watching swail and hamilton, love learning from hamilton, followed him round at the EPTC4 this year and hes a great guy! very funny too when speaking to him, cracking the jokes.

And swail is so quirky, and his semi final at the welsh couple of years back was seriously emotional. His interview after was incredible, anyone remember that? I cant find it anywhere :-( So sad to see him falling, but he did beat allen and murphy in the german masters! :clap:

Such a huge shame not to see them at this years worlds, but see players like campbell, harold, bingham, mcleod instead. But Dale getting through made up for it <ok>

Postby randam05

Alex0paul WC wrote:
randam05 wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:

He was

No he is lower as all the winners are named first. Stevens was a qualifier.

Fair enough, I get it :chuckle:

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Swail has always done well at the Crucible, and has had his good tournaments there. Shame he has gone down hill though because he is a very good player, same with Hamilton still has it and still get's good wins but so inconsistent it's frustrating to watch him because you don't know which Anthony will turn up. 1999 though brings back memories, can't remember it that well as I was just getting into Snooker in those days, but Nick Walker, Darren Morgan legends :D

Postby PLtheRef

randam05 wrote:And discovered some great matches and interesting things. First im going to look at my three favourites, Hamilton, Dale and Swail :-) .

I cant believe ebdon wasnt in the top 16 in 1999 ? :hmm:

Anthony Hamilton was a lot better than I thought. Beat jimmy white 10-9 first round in 1997. Second round in 1998. Making quarters in 2000 beating fu and doherty, :shock: , second round in 2001, quarters in 2002 beating williams in second round :clap: and losing to ebdon in quarters(dream match for me) , quarters in 2004 beating swail (in a match id love to see! a must buy!) and davis! , second round 2005, quarters in 2007 beating fu and mcculloch.

Dominic Dale at the crucible

1999 = Dominic Dale scored 167 points in one frame in the match against Nigel Bond. He earned 44 penalty points and then made a century break. It's the highest number of points ever scored by a player in one frame in any ranking event.

Second round in 1997 beating drago 10-9 round 1! Quarters in 2000 beating ebdon in the first round, beating david gray 13-1 in round 2 :shock: and losing to swail in the quarters. (A match that I NEED to buy!)

Joe swail at the crucible.

Joe Swail returned to the Top 16 in the snooker world rankings after reaching the semi-final against Matthew Stevens. He became the first former top 16 player to drop out of the top 32 only to return to the top 16. For this, he was awarded £500 and a carriage clock
Swail's place in the Top 16 ended Steve Davis' long run in the elite.

Semi finals in 2000 :shock: Beating Paul hunter, john parrot in a decider and dominic dale in quarters! (In the match I NEED to buy :D )
Semi finals in 2001 :shock: Beating storey in a decider first round, williams in decider second round :shock: , wallace in quarters and gave a good fight against ronnie in the semis! Amazing.
Beat williams in the first round 2007 :shock: YET ANOTHER MATCH ID LOVE TO SEE!
Second round in 2008 where he played in a superb second round with wenbo, one of my fav matches of all time. And qualified in various other years.

I know no one is intersted as they hate these players, but they are by far my three favourite qualifiers, and they done more than I thought in the early 2000's. I missed out :-(

Well like I said a while back, I only went off Joe because of the way he took his match against Liang - I met him in Killarney and he seemed very cool towards everyone but the NI contingent.

Anthony for some reason always comes off as serious. Dominic on the other hand's always ready to have a chat, and mixes well with the fans, take the EIS when he won in the qualifiers, spent a good 20 minutes chatting with Matt, Sonny and me.
Dominic's always

Postby Roland

Yes with Paddy I didn't like the way Swail took the loss to Liang. Mind you I was cheering on Liang and it goes down in my top 5 matches ever at the Crucible so Swail played his part.

And yes, Dominic is class as a player and person.

Postby randam05

Tubberlad wrote:Randam...please note how many times Matthew Stevens has made the one table stage...

Not as many as higgins, ronnie, williams, ebdon, doherty, davis, white, reardon, hendry, and many others.

I have nothing against stevens, but I dont see the fascination with EVERYONE! is there anyone that dislikes him? But then again is there anyone who dislikes dale or williams? Maybe just cause I wasnt around to see him at his peak, all Ive seen of him is his little increase in form this season.

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Randam...please note how many times Matthew Stevens has made the one table stage...

Not as many as higgins, ronnie, williams, ebdon, doherty, davis, white, reardon, hendry, and many others.

I have nothing against stevens, but I dont see the fascination with EVERYONE! is there anyone that dislikes him? But then again is there anyone who dislikes dale or williams? Maybe just cause I wasnt around to see him at his peak, all Ive seen of him is his little increase in form this season.

I think he has more than Ebdon or Doherty actually...

Its a pity you missed his better years. You became a snooker fan around the time he really nosedived which is a pity...

Postby randam05

Tubberlad wrote:
randam05 wrote:

Its a pity you missed his better years. You became a snooker fan around the time he really nosedived which is a pity...

Hmmm im not sure if its a pity, I think its more of a pity I missed Paul Hunter playing and doherty at his best. You know when you just dont get excited about a player? well thats what its like for me with stevens..and come to that, ding and carter too.

This is why I love the island, I get to see many different opinions, and although very few agree with me, its still fun.

Postby jojo

i remember hamilton in early 1997 just after the world championship draw was made he played in the early rounds of a ranking tournament cant remember who it was against or what the exact tournament was maybe it was the british open

anyway hamilton was losing 3-1 at the mid session interval but then won the last four frames with three centuries and another big frame winning break to win 5-3 and his opponent said after the interval he was unplayable

i knew the danger signs as he was going to play jimmy white at the crucible in a few months and thought rubbish jimmy really has got a tough draw hamilton the best of the qualifiers that year by a long way and jimmy was really struggling that season he lost his mother and brother in quick succession and it tore his game apart he was already struggling for a few years

in their first round match jimmy played well to lead 6-3 after the first session a pleasent surprise and led 8-4 but i knew the match wasnt over as hamilton was quality and jimmys form and confidence was non existent and hamilton chalked off the frames one by one it was so nervy he went 9-8 ahead jimmy made it 9-9 i was following on ceefax waiting for the highlights programme and hamilton took the last frame when the highlights programme started i felt sick but i was expecting this and jummy went out the top 16

in that match hamilton made about eight or nine breaks over 50

Postby Rocket_ron

Tubberlad wrote:
randam05 wrote:

stevens around late 90's early 00's was class, he went downhill when his dad suddenly died...which is understandable.

i always maintain he should of won one of the 2 wc finals

Postby randam05

Hamilton is under rated I think. Just look at his match against robertson in the german masters! Okay robertson was poor but hamilton made some super centuries, and after being pegged back to 4-4 from 4-1 up and winning the decider with an immaculate century was incredible.

Postby PLtheRef

Rocket_ron wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
randam05 wrote:

stevens around late 90's early 00's was class, he went downhill when his dad suddenly died...which is understandable.

i always maintain he should of won one of the 2 wc finals

2000 more than 2005 as Matthew built on that 10-6 lead to 13-7 and was really in for 14-7. From losing that frame Matt switched to playing defensively, it was if as soon as Mark got level to 14-14, you knew he'd win. 2005 was different because he was caught by Shaun at 12-11, and generally played attacking snooker to get back in control.

A 4 frame overnight lead is a good lead, but its by no means in surmountable, - a 6 frame lead after 20 frames shouldnt be blown - the same with Jimmy in 92,

The aim is to win a session 5-3, if you win each session 5-3 then you go 15-9 heading into the final session

Postby GJ

randam05 wrote:Hamilton is under rated I think. Just look at his match against robertson in the german masters! Okay robertson was poor but hamilton made some super centuries, and after being pegged back to 4-4 from 4-1 up and winning the decider with an immaculate century was incredible.

whats his best run at the worlds hamilton that is ?

Postby randam05

GJ wrote:
randam05 wrote:Hamilton is under rated I think. Just look at his match against robertson in the german masters! Okay robertson was poor but hamilton made some super centuries, and after being pegged back to 4-4 from 4-1 up and winning the decider with an immaculate century was incredible.

Quarter finals a couple of times :-)

I DO NOT WANT THIS TURNING INTO A THREAD TALKING ABOUT HOW GOOD STEVENS IS >-(

Postby onlyevertonjon

randam05 wrote:
GJ wrote:

I liked Hamilton also. Didnt he break his wrist by helping someone who was getting mugged and it cost him his top 16 place. You could argue he was unlucky to catch Ronnie in the 2004 quarters because nothing was stopping him that year, when Reardon turned up, but you play who you play.

Sorry to mention Stevens, but I agree with you!

Postby PLtheRef

onlyevertonjon wrote:
randam05 wrote:
GJ wrote:

I liked Hamilton also. Didnt he break his wrist by helping someone who was getting mugged and it cost him his top 16 place. You could argue he was unlucky to catch Ronnie in the 2004 quarters because nothing was stopping him that year, when Reardon turned up, but you play who you play.

Sorry to mention Stevens, but I agree with you!

Being honest, I wouldnt say unlucky about running into Ronnie - O'Sullivan was not at his best in the early rounds, Ronnie certainly played exceptional snooker for the rest of the tournament, - but Anthony should have been tighter.

Looking at his record, Anthony is a player who dips well and truly under the radar, four World quarter-finals admittedly run into good opponents,