Post a reply

Ian McCulloch

Postby Alex0paul

What the hell happened to Ian McCulloch? Just 6 seasons ago he reached the Grand Prix final, his second ranking final and a World Semi. He finished the season in 16th but was seeded 17th for every event because of Murphy.

He also knocked out both defending champions of the World Championships and UK Championships in 2007 but has since barely reached a televised stage of a tournament. He currently sits on the edge of the top 64 cut off and will most likely be in danger of dropping off the tour at the end of next season.

Do you think he had a few fluke years playing well above his talent or did the knock back of the top 16 saga develop a few mental problems?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Re: Ian McCulloch

Postby Monique

Ian suffered a few serious health problems that got him plumeting down the rankings and he does not seem able to rediscover enough form to climb back.

Postby Smart

I think the top 16 thing (knock back) is more of a big deal to fans than it was to him. He was very solid and played good snooker around that time. I think he peaked then, and like Monique has said some other ailments have hit him since then and he's struggled to get anywhere near that "peak" form again. :|

Postby Bourne

I really thought after his good showing at PTC6 (QF) he'd have Pressed on after that, just hasn't happened for him :-(

Postby Alex0paul

I cannot remember the last time I saw him on TV.

Postby jojo

he was never a bad player but he and dott never got on if i buy the dott book i will be interested to read what happened between them of course there always two sides to every story but should be fun

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:I think the top 16 thing (knock back) is more of a big deal to fans than it was to him. He was very solid and played good snooker around that time. I think he peaked then, and like Monique has said some other ailments have hit him since then and he's struggled to get anywhere near that "peak" form again. :|

yes i think the top 16 thing has been blown up to meaning more than it was TBH.

he knew the deal if Shaun won that year that would happen....

Postby Casey

Alex0paul WC wrote:I cannot remember the last time I saw him on TV.

I remember seeing him against Mark Allen at the GP last season. He played on in one frame needing 5 snookers :john:

Postby kostasmad

Man there is always something I wanted to say about this snooker palyer.

There is only 1 god damn bucking IAN MCCULLOGH IN THE WORLD AND HE AINT HIM!!!!

ECHO & THE BYNNYMEN FOR EVER!!!

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:he was never a bad player but he and dott never got on if i buy the dott book i will be interested to read what happened between them of course there always two sides to every story but should be fun

I'm not sure I ever really twigged what had happened there. I was on the match on the other table, and only knew that Dott had lost. Didn't realise anything happened. Waiting outside The Crucible after the match, Dott came out surrounded by security because he didn't want to talk about it. I thouhgt; "What's that all about?" Afterwards, I heard there'd be some tension. But on thinking about it, I never got more to the heart of it then that. Did Dott through a spack after the match?

Postby SnookerFan

And regarding Ian, he always seemed like a nice guy to me. Seemed to be enjoying every minute of every game. Pity we don't see more of him, seeing as he would've been qualifying for every tournament one year, if the Mighty Smurph hadn't got in his way.