Topic locked

Your favourite?

Postby simplysnooker

As we get ever closer to the World Championship, what is your favourite ever match at the Worlds?

Re: Your favourite?

Postby Roland

impossible

Postby Tubberlad

Definitely Hamilton McCulloch 2007, though King McLeod 2009 had its fair share of drama too

Postby jojo

lots and lots to choose from for various different reasons

from a biased fan point of view has to be white beating hendry in 1998 on my birthday that was sensational i rember telling anyone and everyone and the whole world and his dog once the draw was made jimmy was going to win that and everyone lauged

other matches include white finally beating davis in a epic semi in 1990

from a neutral point of view again lots to choose from

o sullivan v ebdon in 2005
ebdon v o lee in 2001 when the fat bastard complained about ebdons reaction
ebdon v stevens in 2002 when ebdon needed a snooker and potted a near impossible pink to stay in the match
davis v higgins last year
darren morgan v ronnie o sullivan in 1997 classic match few days after ronnies maximum
some will say davis v taylor in 1985 i can vaguely remember the frenzy and pretty much from that moment i became hooked on snooker even though i was only four

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:impossible

Ebdon vs Dott, then?

Thats the first match I ever watched and my love grew from there <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

Hmmm, been to many fantastic games

The one that sticks in the head is the 2003 semi between Hunter and Doherty, the last session of which I had tickets for. Before the game I was moaning about a 15-9 scoreline and the way Paul was playing it was a when he got to 17, my mother reassured me that there was plenty to do if it did finish at 17-9 or 17-10.

The players come out, and Paul gets a huge reception given the commanding lead, and that he's from Leeds. - Doherty gets in, narrows the lead, and gets a huge cheer when he manages to make it 15-13 at the interval. - from then on, I had in mind that if he got level then that was it. - May not have been the closest session, 8-1, but the best session i've ever watched. - Must have an uncanny nack really, as three years later, same day, session, I see another 15-9 go to a 33rd frame.

Postby Bourne

So tough to pin one down but the middle-saturday at last year's championship was the best day I can remember, and the best final is a tough one between 03 and 06 but i'd just shade 03.

Postby GJ

robbo v carter 2009

Postby PLtheRef

Bourne wrote:So tough to pin one down but the middle-saturday at last year's championship was the best day I can remember, and the best final is a tough one between 03 and 06 but i'd just shade 03.

06 I wouldnt say was a Good final, but thats purely my opinion, - going back to 2003, I remember being in the Cuezone for the first session, seeing Williams go 7-1 up and thinking that we were in for a real pummelling, get to 10-2 and as Everton says the main interest was whether Doherty (who'd only played four frames shy of the maximum to reach the final, conceding 46 - compared to 19 for Williams) can get it to a last session, and whether he can make it respectable, - 11-5 overnight is not an uncommon score after 16 frames but it's a long way back.

Monday I'm at a football tournament and get in around 6ish, just to see Everton say 'should be quite a night' - and a 12-12 scoreline, being honest I'm convinced that had Ken reached the final with a bit more in reserve, e.g. Winning, 10-5, 13-10, 13-8 and 17-12 etc that he'd have won that, cant see how from 8 frames up, - to be hauled to 11 and 12 all Mark could have mentally responded

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I'll pick one every season:

2010: Steve Davis - John Higgins: One of the greatest achievements in the snooker history
2009: John Higgins - Mark Selby: A superb match with such an epic feel - a masterpiece with and by John Higgins
2008: Joe Swail - Liang Wenbo: One of the greastest match I have ever seen - a real beauty
2007: John Higgins - Mark Selby: Great comeback but not as good as the previous listed at a time I still liked Selby

Postby randam05

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'll pick one every season:

2010: Steve Davis - John Higgins: One of the greatest achievements in the snooker history
2009: John Higgins - Mark Selby: A superb match with such an epic feel - a masterpiece with and by John Higgins
2008: Joe Swail - Liang Wenbo: One of the greastest match I have ever seen - a real beauty
2007: John Higgins - Mark Selby: Great comeback but not as good as the previous listed at a time I still liked Selby

Great choice there, I watched them all and really enjoyed them all, great picks! :happy:

Postby randam05

Didnt realise the dott ebdon final was this low of breaks..

1 Century Break (Peter Ebdon).
Highest break Ebdon: 117
Highest break Dott: 68

Postby Roland

It's because it was a battle

Postby Alex0paul

randam05 wrote:Didnt realise the dott ebdon final was this low of breaks..

1 Century Break (Peter Ebdon).
Highest break Ebdon: 117
Highest break Dott: 68

The problem in that final was that Ebdon kept playing on needing 3 or 4 snookers in most frames. Dott made a lot of 60 breaks but as a lot of the balls were safe could never quite get enough to keep Ebdon in his seat most of the time.

Postby randam05

Anyone watch the ebdon vs fu semi final where he lead 15-9 or something and ended up winning 17-16 when crying as he won the decider? I really want to buy the dvd of that.. hmmmm...

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:Anyone watch the ebdon vs fu semi final where he lead 15-9 or something and ended up winning 17-16 when crying as he won the decider? I really want to buy the dvd of that.. hmmmm...

Better again, Ken Doherty actually finishing the job in 2003 against Hunter.

Postby onlyevertonjon

Oh wow! Just so many.

My favourite snooker match ever is Ronnie vs Hendry '08, but I think that was because it was my birthday.

Certainly not the best match, bya mile not the best, but added to a great day.