Post a reply

New Pool League Rules

Postby N_Castle07

Every Wednesday night I play for my local’s pool team. The past couple of weeks I’ve lost important games because of the stupid new rules. There is a new rule which means you are aloud to deliberately foul (which got the other player out of trouble) and give away two shots but don’t forfeit the game like in the old rules. I think this totally ruins the game completely. Even if it is a new rule I will never deliberately foul to my advantage because I don’t think its right and shows bad sportsmanship.

What are your views on this rule and would you ever deliberately foul for your own advantage?

Re: New Pool League Rules

Postby Lucky

Are they called the World rules? They are total bull and pretty much ruin the game, we use them in leagues around here but never in a normal run of the mill pub match.

Postby N_Castle07

Yes mate I can remember them saying that last night “ but its world rules, its world rules,”

There was nothing wrong with the old rules IMO. That’s how me and my mates play when where just playing for fun.

Postby Roland

The only rules I will play 8 ball pool to are as follows:

1) A ball must hit a rail after initial contact

2) A foul gives opponent ball in hand anywhere on table but only one turn

3) Open table after the break and open table until only one ball type has been potted by a player i.e. if he keeps potting one or more of each then it remains open table.

No nominations, no missed turns, no other rules apart from the obvious

I believe these are World Rules? It's a fantastic game. You can deliberately foul, it's not bad sportsmanship, it's tactics. Like if I have a ball over a pocket and my opponent has a ball blocking it which is also not pottable I will force the opponent to move that ball by helping him to pot his other balls if it needs to be done.

As stated before, I only play pool on US tables with spots (or solids) and stripes and I think the reds and yellows version with two turns after a foul is a massively inferior version.

I'm playing pool tonight with the above rules and I can't wait!

So in answer to the initial question would I deliberately foul? In the rules stated above of course I would because if you get it out of your head that it's bad sportsmanship then you see the beauty of employing such tactics.

Re: archie mitchel

Postby N_Castle07

Sunny I accept it is part of the rules now but I wouldn’t deliberately foul because I don’t feel it is right. It just comes across as cheating to me even know it is technically not. If this rule was brought into snooker I would probably stop watching it. However the rule I do like regarding World Rules is the rule which enforces you to hit a rail. This is good because it speeds games up especially when your playing in pub leagues, and it also stops players who can’t pot to save there lives just rolling up to balls snookering you all the time.

Postby Roland

Yes I agree about that.

Regarding snooker... I guess the obvious way you can gain an advantage by fouling is if you're say 35 points ahead with the last red on the table. You'd need to be on a colour otherwise you'll be called miss and the balls replaced, but you could do what Parrott attempted and then later denied against Davis at the Crucible and pot the last red with the colour. That way your opponent will need snookers. After playing the above pool rules I am now of the opinion that this is a smart shot to play if the circumstances make it viable. I also think it's a legit shot to deliberately in-off if there isn't a reasonable alternative and white in hand in the D will be pretty safe.

So my position is from a tactical point of view. I'm not a parakeet I just understand the rules in a different way to others. I am always a gent at the table and own up to fouls and never bemoan luck by the opponent and always say "shot" when a good shot is played and never try to put the opponent off when he's at the table. But I will play a deliberate foul if the circumstances tell me it's the right shot to play.

Postby N_Castle07

Sonny don’t get me wrong, I’m not a serious pool player who takes it very seriously, I just don’t like that rule. In fact a few years ago our team got promoted to the league above and we hated it. The other teams took it too serious and we didn’t like it. Now we go out have a laugh and a drink and play pool then towards the end of the season we loose on purpose so that we remain in the lower league.

Postby Lucky

The problem with playing in the leagues is that the away team gets sent to some right rubbish holes, some of the hell holes in our league have to be seen to be believed <ok>

Postby N_Castle07

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh> hahaha i think that's how the away teams feel when they have to play at my local.

Postby Roland

Well I've never played in a pool league so I can imagine the stick you'd get from playing a deliberate foul. I would love to play in some US table 8 ball events but there aren't any around :(

Postby Roco

I prefer the old EPA rules. Alot of players don't like it because it's too easy to tippy tap and role up without the need to hit a cushion.

I don't like the world rules especially the deliberate foul and the need to hit a cushion with every shot.

The old EPA rules is better suited for youngsters learning the game

Postby Casey

I played in a pool league this year, there is a rule - no push shot! Any of you guys play this? It's BS imo - players are driving the ball into pockets and there are sure to be double hits with it as well. It's awful to watch but I have to play them as well or else i'm at a disadvantage as others will also.