Topic locked

China Open 2011 R1: Lee def. Williams 5-4

Postby Bourne

Thought this match deserved a thread of it's own ...

Lee 5-4 Williams
Frame 1: Williams Century (100)
Frame 2: Williams Century (113)
Frame 3: Lee 86
Frame 4: Lee 86
Frame 5: Lee (only) 52
Frame 6: Williams Century (104)
Frame 7: Williams Century (137 total clearance)
Frame 8: Lee 48 to take it to a decider
Frame 9: Williams races 70-11 up with a 53, 59 up 67 on, 2 reds very safe, Lee clears to win by 2 points

It simply doesn't get any better than that chaps :D

Immediate reaction:
Neal Foulds - That was an amazing match. As good as I've seen for a long while.
Phil Yates - One of the top ten matches of all time
Bourne - Wow !

Re: China Open 2011 R1: Lee def. Williams 5-4

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan's reaction;

Our generation's answer to the moon landing. Simple as that. Very few times in my life have I seen something televised as exciting as that. Not just in sport, in anything. Regardless of the match that followed this afternoon, that just couldn't compare in terms of excitement, that justified Tuesday 29th March as the one day of Annual Leave I took to watch the China Open.

Postby jojo

in terms of sustained scoring quality from both players in a best of nine match this probably the best ever even though i not seen the match

anyhow as a reward for the fat bastard i think he should be fed a whole live dog he deserve it after that ha

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:in terms of sustained scoring quality from both players in a best of nine match this probably the best ever even though i not seen the match

anyhow as a reward for the fat bastard i think he should be fed a whole live dog he deserve it after that ha

He already chew up Mark Williams, and spat him out. <laugh>

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:SnookerFan's reaction;

Our generation's answer to the moon landing. Simple as that. Very few times in my life have I seen something televised as exciting as that. Not just in sport, in anything. Regardless of the match that followed this afternoon, that just couldn't compare in terms of excitement, that justified Tuesday 29th March as the one day of Annual Leave I took to watch the China Open.

Just watched it on sky on return from college and wow wow wow. The best, best of 9 match ive ever seen. Truely remarkable. I second that everything you said there SF. Absoloutley unbelievable, such a shame williams won, but lee played pretty awesome too, did you see that screw and check side shot to get on the red in one of the frames!!!!? OMG, incredible! :D

Im sure it will be on youtube soon for anyoine who didnt see it, he was behind in the frame too!

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:it was ok i supose.

i saw about 3 frames and no century :grrr:

You tit. Did you not even see all of it? It was the match of 2011 so far.

had no time to sit down to watch stuff to do places to go

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:such a shame williams won, but lee played pretty awesome too

Lee won :redneck:

mmmmmmm someone else that did not see it rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Give over Wild, you spend every waking hour on snooker forums. We know you overslept is all.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Give over Wild, you spend every waking hour on snooker forums. We know you overslept is all.

honestly i could do without early morning snooker at the moment

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

think there was a Dancing on Ice repeat of the final on ITV4 this morning :limp:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:honestly i could do without early morning snooker at the moment

I'm more of a morning person. I love a bit of eating breakfast, and watching snooker. What you're experiencing is when it's midnight for me, the final is still on and I am struggling to stay awake. <laugh>

Postby Roland

I assume Eurosport HD are showing it at the moment? If so I'm sky+ing now and watching later. It's on for 2 hours and if it's as good as people are saying then surely they won't show anything else.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I assume Eurosport HD are showing it at the moment? If so I'm sky+ing now and watching later. It's on for 2 hours and if it's as good as people are saying then surely they won't show anything else.

Are there evening highlights? I hadn't even realised, I'd been getting the actual matches taped and watching them back. But, I would strongly assume that is the match they'd show.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I assume Eurosport HD are showing it at the moment? If so I'm sky+ing now and watching later. It's on for 2 hours and if it's as good as people are saying then surely they won't show anything else.

Firstly, we've probably heightened this beyond all expectations. It was more tense when you didn't know who won.
Secondly, you know Eurosport and it's logic. It's highlight of today's snooker matches, is probably an hour and a half of skiing and a frame and a half of last year's final.

Postby Tubberlad

I think Williams is the most likely player to take Higgins out, but I would strongly question whether he has the consistency and ruthless stream of eight years ago to do so...

Not that I'm referring to this game as it looks like a cracker, but this season in general.

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:I think Williams is the most likely player to take Higgins out, but I would strongly question whether he has the consistency and ruthless streak of eight years ago to do so...

So, you're predicting Williams is going to take Higgins out of the China Open? :huh:

Postby jojo

if you talking about the world championships i cant see anyone beating higgins to be honest especially over multiple sessions that man dirty bastard though he is i rate him as an incredibly good snooker player definitely not the most exciting player to watch but he something else in terms of being able to adapt to any situation and getting the job done

i know he plays the fat bastard who is playing some unbelievable stuff at the moment for a player in his ranking position and is scheduled to meet ronnie or murphy in the quarters but higgins knows their games inside out ronnie may trouble higgins but some are questioning him this year due to his lack of participation and higgins always knows how to handle murphy he just too street wise for him murphy only knows one method of playing and higgins knows how to deal with that without even having to be at his best

as for williams if he does meet higgins in the semi that will be a classic but it will be interesting to see how williams deals with the demons of losing the uk final i wouldnt rule him out but we looking way too far ahead to be thinking of possible semi final line ups