46%
No?
54%
Not Sure
No votes

Total votes : 13

An Idea is an Idea, Right?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

For those members on here who do not use 606, here is an article that I have just posted up on there.....

I sent the below note to Barry Hearn which is related to an idea that I have. I have spoken to Barry Hearn's PA & have been told that this is now on the man's desk. I've previously been in touch with both Business people involved in Sport & also someone who is mentioned below asking for their feedback. All the feedback I have received is that this is definitely a runner.

The context that I have put this in is for a bit of fun & for it to happen....

Hi Barry,

As per my recent correspondence, I would like to put forward my idea to you.

Seeing Snooker has now got yourself Barry back on board (which is great news) & with you being one of the main men in Darts, my idea for the new competition is to have a Doubles tournament with one player being a Darts player & the other being a Snooker player. All match's played in a Doubles format with each player playing each other's Sport. The obvious choice of doubles partners is, as an example....

Bristow/Davis, Taylor/O'Sullivan, Hendry/Anderson, Mason/White, Whitlock/Robertson, Higgins/Thornton, the list goes on!

It would be quite easy to stage as an Exhibition event with everyone on a fee, 1 leg of 1001 darts, 1 frame of snooker, if a tie, then toss a coin & the winner of the toss could choose to play Darts or Snooker in the decider. Or, nearest the bull or black of the spot with the cue ball in the 'D' to agree on what Sport to play in the 'decider'. 8 Dart players participating & also 8 Snooker players participating for a week-end long event.

I genuinely believe that the public would love this, entrance would be high & could generate a lot of cash. Its an easy sell in my opinion Barry as there is still a niche in the market I believe where the public love seeing Sportsmen & women playing a Sport alien to them, under pressure. This is a perfect intro to doing this. It would be good fun too, giving 2 of the Sports you are actively involved in, being joined at the hip & also getting the crowd more involved in the Snooker side of things with an 'Air of Acceptance' & being played Professionally following the Professional rules of each game as well.

I do genuinely believe there is plenty of mileage in this Barry.

Yours in Sport,

John McBride

Over to you....

Re: An Idea is an Idea, Right?

Postby N_Castle07

Sorry John I voted no. I don’t think it would really work unless you found Darts and Snooker players which where both good in both sports. I don’t think it would be entertaining seeing a Darts player playing average man snooker. I really no nothing about Darts so if the players you outlined can also play good snooker I apologize.

N_Castle07 wrote:Sorry John I voted no. I don’t think it would really work unless you found Darts and Snooker players which where both good in both sports. I don’t think it would be entertaining seeing a Darts player playing average man snooker. I really no nothing about Darts so if the players you outlined can also play good snooker I apologize.

You don't have to apologise, no problem.

Postby Wildey

i think as a contribution every 2 years for sport relief its a very good idea joining both sports that is link in so many ways having had Embassy as main sponsor for a fair few years is just 1.

however its more light entertainment rather than sport because the snooker player playing darts or vice versa wont be of the highest quality.

wildJONESEYE wrote:i think as a contribution every 2 years for sport relief its a very good idea joining both sports that is link in so many ways having had Embassy as main sponsor for a fair few years is just 1.

however its more light entertainment rather than sport because the snooker player playing darts or vice versa wont be of the highest quality.

It is a bit of light entertainment your right wild. However with regard to Sport Relief, as good as that sounds & would definitely work, the more I have been working on this, the more I have learnt with how Barry Hearn operates. As much as he would probably agree with you that this would work for Sport Relief as well, what I have learnt about Barry Hearn, is that his time is money.

Postby Roland

I think it'll work. Doubles at 501 or even 1001 race to 10 legs, doubles at snooker best of 5 frames. I'd watch it.

Postby Tubberlad

I genuinely like the idea John <ok>

I reckon you could hold it in one day, with matches involving a 1001 leg, and a single frame of snooker, as you have said.

By the way, could you send me an address for Barry Hearn?

thetubberlad wrote:I genuinely like the idea John <ok>

I reckon you could hold it in one day, with matches involving a 1001 leg, and a single frame of snooker, as you have said.

By the way, could you send me an address for Barry Hearn?

Address...

Barry Hearn

Matchroom Sport
‘Mascalls’
Mascalls Lane
Great Warley
Brentwood
Essex CM14 5LJ

His email address is 'barry.hearn@matchroom.com'

His PA is a lady called Michelle Wassell & her email address is michelle.wassell@matchroom.com

I also posted this on the Darts 606 Forum, which in all honesty, is a place to dodge most of the time as some of the posters can be a bit nasty on there, unfortunately. Anyway, I've just noticed that this guy posted this response on there....

comment by the safe one (U3808115)
posted 1 Hour Ago

I think you wish "Barry" was your Dad

-end
--

When I was writing the letter to Barry Hearn, I re-read the letter before I posted it, as you do, & try as I might, I didn't see anything in my letter that would suggest I wished Barry Hearn was my Dad. <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

Darts 606 is a shithole, it's just all PDC v BDO, no imagination whatsoever. A lot like snooker 606 really then...

Postby Roland

That's just a typical moronic comment you get on places like 606 football / darts / whatever

I liked one guys suggestion of splitting boxing and darts instead of snooker. That'd work! I'd like to see the snooker and downhill skiing combo going on too if the snooker/darts turns out to be a success

Postby Roland

thetubberlad wrote:Darts 606 is a shithole, it's just all PDC v BDO, no imagination whatsoever. A lot like snooker 606 really then...

Exactly, it's all O'Sullivan v Hendry there as if no other players exist.

Postby Tubberlad

Posted this John:
-----------------
John is a good guy, and I don't see anything to suggest that he wishes Barry was his dad <doh> this is what happens when you even mention Barry Hearn on the darts forum.

I'm a massive snooker fan, and for entertainment at exhibitions, I think it's a runner. Would people turn down the oppurtunity to come watch Bristow, Taylor, Van Barneveld, O'Sullivan, Davis, Higgins and Hendry in one night? Of course not.

thetubberlad wrote:Posted this John:
-----------------
John is a good guy, and I don't see anything to suggest that he wishes Barry was his dad <doh> this is what happens when you even mention Barry Hearn on the darts forum.

I'm a massive snooker fan, and for entertainment at exhibitions, I think it's a runner. Would people turn down the oppurtunity to come watch Bristow, Taylor, Van Barneveld, O'Sullivan, Davis, Higgins and Hendry in one night? Of course not.

Hi Tubber. I appreciate your support but you don't have to do that, I find it much easier to just ignore them & not give them the time of day. They'll soon find something else soon enough. ;)

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I posted this in the Darts 606.

It's not a terrible idea but there are a few problems. How is Phil Taylor going to play Snooker to any kind of decent standard? Do the likes of Barneveld or Whitlock even like Snooker? With Darts this isn't a huge problem as the legs are over quickly but Snooker frames can become long drawn out.

That's my only problem. Snooker players playing Darts could be fun but I'm not sure about Darts players having a go at Snooker.

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I posted this in the Darts 606.

It's not a terrible idea but there are a few problems. How is Phil Taylor going to play Snooker to any kind of decent standard? Do the likes of Barneveld or Whitlock even like Snooker? With Darts this isn't a huge problem as the legs are over quickly but Snooker frames can become long drawn out.

That's my only problem. Snooker players playing Darts could be fun but I'm not sure about Darts players having a go at Snooker.

The idea is for this to be looked upon as fun by the spectator/viewer watching them outside their comfort zone.

Postby Wildey

Fun is the key word.

im against anything that people try to create as a snooker substetute however this cant be been that way because effectively its pro/rubbish as appose to Pro/Am in the sense Phil Taylor will be rubbish at snooker but fun watching him give it a try.

Postby Smart

John - lets remember that skunk is fun in moderation, you may be smoking too much. Go easy. :ahh:

This idea has no appeal to me whatsoever. I can play average darts myself, so I ask myself the question regarding your idea:

do I want to watch some snooker player playing average darts.....? Big fat NO :wave:

I can play average snooker, so I ask myself the question regarding your idea:

do I want to watch some darts player playing average snooker ....? Big fat NO :wave:

Put simply I want to watch the best players whatever sport I am watching. For this reason I have always had Sky TV, giving me access to the best cricket team in the World (playing in whatever time zone), the best footie league in the world, the best snooker, the best darts players....

I don't want average, I don't want mediocre or people having a go - I want the best. This idea of yours reminds me of that shitty programme Bullseye.

"stay out of the black and into the red - theres nothing in this game for 2 in a bed" <doh>

Good luck. :wave:

Skunk StalinESQ? Way off my radar. You'd come across better using good grammer as opposed to the personal touch when explaining yourself. No need for it when you can. <ok>

I understand the points you've made. What would you like to see & how do you perceive the game being made more popular?

Postby Smart

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Skunk StalinESQ? Way off my radar. You'd come across better using good grammer as opposed to the personal touch when explaining yourself. No need for it when you can. <ok>

I understand the points you've made. What would you like to see & how do you perceive the game being made more popular?

Replace a best of 9 format tournament with another best of 17 format tournament. Preferably to be held in China.

I want zero gimmicks, I want nothing to make the game more popular.

There is nothing wrong with you thinking up ideas but if this was taken up it would for me be little more credible than BigBreak - which was cheesy rubbish.

Snooker fans want snooker, not gimmicky rubbish. Why is everyone on a mission to reinvent the wheel. :huh: <doh>

:wave:

Postby Wildey

smart

this is nothing new this was invented in the early 80s and called itself Pro Celebrity Snooker...it would give todays players a platform to showcase who they are as apose to Players on the Table surely a exercise in showing personality is positive.

i agree nothing wrong in the sport and we defiantly need desperately another UK Format tournament but the public needs to get to know the players to stop this "theres no characters in the sport no more". bullocks marmite.

StalinESQ wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Skunk StalinESQ? Way off my radar. You'd come across better using good grammer as opposed to the personal touch when explaining yourself. No need for it when you can. <ok>

Replace a best of 9 format tournament with another best of 17 format tournament. Preferably to be held in China.

I want zero gimmicks, I want nothing to make the game more popular.

There is nothing wrong with you thinking up ideas but if this was taken up it would for me be little more credible than BigBreak - which was cheesy rubbish.

Snooker fans want snooker, not gimmicky rubbish. Why is everyone on a mission to reinvent the wheel. :huh: <doh>

Cool & The Gang. :)

Postby NedB-H

Bullseye and Big Break were popular, no?

I quite like the idea, as a bit of fun, it'd be good seeing the snooker pros trying to leave an easy pot for their teammate....

You wouldn't have to watch it, it's not like it's an idea to revolutionise the game or anything

Postby Roland

Yeah it's not as if it's going to be a serious event or anything apart from the competitive nature of sportsmen. In golf you have pro-celeb event so why not in snooker/darts? Although saying that when celebs play darts they are usually shockingly bad and it is bad to watch.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Yeah it's not as if it's going to be a serious event or anything apart from the competitive nature of sportsmen. In golf you have pro-celeb event so why not in snooker/darts? Although saying that when celebs play darts they are usually shockingly bad and it is bad to watch.

i think the competative nature is very secondary to seing how a Snooker or dart player can take the snake hiss out of each other for playing crap....

its important we get to see players personalities like was the case with Dennis and co in the 80s.

Snooker loopy was a marmite song but it did what Barry Hearn wanted from it....it was not going to get a Brit Award but it created characters.

Postby Smart

I don't get all this personality stuff that people drone on about.

If you watch closely on TV you will see who is and is not a personality. You will get this from their reactions to shots, from their mannerisms, from their pre/post match interviews.

If in the arena you get even more of a feel for their personality as you here the huffing and puffing, or small talk.

So I don't think we need anything additional to find out who is a laugh and who is without any personality.

ROS is a bit of a wind up merchant and also can be very down on himself (bi-polar traits)

Williams likes a laugh, as does Hendo (but is a fierce competitor).

Selby is a bit of a likely lad.

Who cares is my point - I'm interested in the snooker....... :huh:

Postby Wildey

i get that ok mate i know their personalities and thats why i think people who say theres no characters in the game no more are talking through their baboons shiny behinds and hasn't a clue. Ive always maintained theres no different between todays players and players of the 80s but it doesn't stop idiots in the press writing stories saying theres no characters in snooker no more. all im saying some lighthearted mess around might help to promote characters to blind pin ends.

Postby SnookerFan

I really don't see the point to this one. Granted, Barry Hearn would be the man to make it happen, being that he is a big name is snooker and in darts. Personally, though I can watch darts from time to time, I aint particularly a fan of it, and wouldn't want to see the sport I am passionate about interrupted by the players keep having to play darts.

Even if this event was held up the road to me, I don't think I'd pay to watch it. Not even sure I'd watch it on the telly. And even if I was big on watching darts, I dunno if I'd see the point. I like boxing, which Barry Hearn does a bit of, but I don't want to see Stephen Hendry trading blows with Herbie Hide.