Post a reply

Mark Allen battling depression

Postby Tubberlad

I certainly had heard nothing of it, but Mark Allen has spoken in today's Irish Mail of his ongoing battle with depression, having been diagnosed with the illness recently.

Allen has attributed this to being away from his daughter Lauren and not being allowed see her enough, but also speaks of the loneliness and solidarity that comes with spending so much time in hotel rooms and being on the road.

Allen is not one of my favourite players, but the guy is certainly talented and very capable. I hope he can overcome his demons and get back to where he wants to be <ok>

Re: Mark Allen battling depression

Postby Tubberlad

Smart wrote:source :chin:

I'm on my phone so can't provide one, but it was in today's Irish Mail...I'm not sure if they have a site, but give it a whirl <ok>

Postby Roland

Allen has attributed this to being away from his daughter Lauren and not being allowed see her enough, but also speaks of the loneliness and solidarity that comes with spending so much time in hotel rooms and being on the road.

That sounds fair enough, but I struggle to see this in terms of an illness which is diagnosable by a doctor. You can be depressed without being ill. First impressions, need to read the article.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:

That sounds fair enough, but I struggle to see this in terms of an illness which is diagnosable by a doctor. You can be depressed without being ill. First impressions, need to read the article.

Tough love from Sonny :idea:

Postby Roland

I know what it feels like to be depressed. I've got a minor variant at the moment having come home from holiday and facing work and a barrage of marmite tomorrow. What I'm saying is, he's got stuff to be depressed about but the medical "condition" is a different animal.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:I know what it feels like to be depressed. I've got a minor variant at the moment having come home from holiday and facing work and a barrage of marmite tomorrow. What I'm saying is, he's got stuff to be depressed about but the medical "condition" is a different animal.

I've run out of Pepsi, so I'm a bit depressed myself :|

Postby jojo

depression is an illness and theres a lot of ignorance in society from those who never suffered it themselves think they know what it all about saying a person got this that and the other so shouldnt be depressed but i would like to see the source first

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:

being sad and feeling you miss out on your child growing up is different to clinicall depression.

thats one of the biggest problam involved with the stigma of someone being "depressed" that everyone thats sad calls it depression.

Mark Allen can get out of that "depression" by living near to Reanne and having a 9 to 5 job.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Tubber never said Mark is claiming to be clinically depressed.

no but using the term depression on every thing is belitteling what depression actually is.

of course when i read the article in full he might have genuine depression.

from what i see from reading that small piece is Mark is suffering from loneliness.

Postby GJ

I get what wild means the proepr term for someone who has depression is that their clinically depressed

where as if people are down it seems the just say off the cuff im depressed

Postby jojo

yes i was talking about clinical depression which not the same as run of the mill depression anyhow i would like to read the original source

Postby Wildey

maybee if its not adressed soon it might esculate in to something more but i honestly cant see what a doctor can do to mark Allen...

get him and reanne back together :chin:

Move his house from town to town and country to country so he dont stay in hotels :chin:

thats my point depression is treatable cant see how anyone can treat Mark :huh2:

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:I always have loads of alcohol for when I feel a bit down. :)

so did Alex Higgins ...

it really is a tough life being a sportsman if you want stability and routine......snooker players for the first time starting to realise it.

Postby Tubberlad

Mark Allen said in the piece that he is getting counselling, and the piece also said he's been diagnosed with depression.

I also know very well the difference between feeling down and being depressed, two very different things without doubt.

Cannot find a link anywhere, the Irish Mail is simply a variant of it's British counterpart, but the only snooker story on their site is of Robertson facing Trump.

I don't normally get the Mail, but the mother always buys it and was having a flick through... stunned is the only word.

Postby Tubberlad

jojo wrote:tubberlad

does that mean the tubby little fat bastard will turn up in china then sheffield ?

Jesus Christ, are you sure your not another ID of Wild <laugh>

I can't tell you Jojo, but he said he still loves the game, but would not be too worried about going out at the first hurdle in Sheffield... I would imagine he will play both events

Postby Roland

I didn't mean to trivialise the issue. Of course any form of trauma affects people physically. I guess I'm still getting used to the idea of equating physical illness with mental illness.

Postby Tubberlad

Monique wrote:There is still a lot of prejudice and stigma around mental illness and that doesn't make it any easier to cope with.
The Irish Independant was publishing this this morning http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 96318.html

Those comments by the Cricket guy did snake hiss me off as it showed a complete lack of grasp for what it really is. He seemed to think it was down to criticism the player received, which was sad.

Sonny, I'm not accusing you areanyone of trivialising it <ok> and besides, people can if they want although I don't like it. I just took interest in the piece having read it today.