Topic locked

Jimmy White withdraws from China Open

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 27,00.html

Whirlwind out of China Open

Visa problems end Jimmy White's hopes as Tian Pengfei is given a bye

Jimmy White has had to withdraw from the Bank of Beijing 2011 World Snooker China Open due to visa problems.

White, 49, had been due to play China's Tian Pengfei in the Wildcard Round at the Beijing Students University Stadium on Monday evening.

However, Tian Pengfei is now awarded a bye and will now meet Mark Selby in the first round on Wednesday.

Re: Jimmy White withdraws from China Open

Postby GJ

stevens showing dedicaton

white showing lack of interest

Postby Monique

kostasmad wrote:how come Stevens got a visa in the last day (Friday) and White couldnt?

Stevens was to collect his visa on Friday, but maybe he had asked for it well before. I just don't know. (I my country that's the way it works, you don't get it right away)).
Whatever it's a bit surprising and a shame. He certainly could do with the ranking points.

Postby Wildey

this beggers belief

how can this happen not being funny but jimmy should know the drill hes not a rookie.

will he get that ranking points or stupidaty should be punished.

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:
GJ wrote:disgraceful unprofessional behaviour

I heard a rumour Jimmy been spending a lot of time with Robbo, so this slip up kinda makes sense now. The influence of Robbo rubbing off. :idea:

<laugh> :afro:

Postby GJ

he is there

Off to China today. Practiced really well for this tournament so hopefully get a good result out there leading into the worlds.

wheres james warren white .....

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:he is there

Off to China today. Practiced really well for this tournament so hopefully get a good result out there leading into the worlds.

wheres james warren white .....

can you please use the
quote option
cos its hard to tell what is your rubbish and what is Robbos rubbish. <laugh> :wave:

Postby Wildey

jimmys last match of the season was against Liu Chaung in the last 80 of the World Championship and at the time nobody knew.

Postby SnookerFan

Seems odd that White would make this kind of mistake. I think his dedication to the sport is unquestioned, but how can he buck that up? He recently played a non-ranker in India. So, you'd think he would would know what he was doing when it comes to international tournaments.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Seems odd that White would make this kind of mistake. I think his dedication to the sport is unquestioned, but how can he buck that up? He recently played a non-ranker in India. So, you'd think he would would know what he was doing when it comes to international tournaments.

absalutly

he first Won a overseas Ranking Event in 1988 so christ sake hes done that baught the t shirt so often hes on their christmas card list lol

Postby likelylad

Apparently Jimmy showed his credit card to China customs and was not allowed in.

In seriousness, if it would be O'sullivan, everyone would go on the band wagon and say its another excuse not to play. I only can assume
White did not want to go, as hes been on the circuit for a couple of decades and travelled all over the world

Postby likelylad

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Seems odd that White would make this kind of mistake. I think his dedication to the sport is unquestioned, but how can he intercourse that up? He recently played a non-ranker in India. So, you'd think he would would know what he was doing when it comes to international tournaments.

absalutly

he first Won a overseas Ranking Event in 1988 so christ sake hes done that baught the t shirt so often hes on their christmas card list lol

LOL!!

Postby SnookerFan

likelylad wrote:
Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Seems odd that White would make this kind of mistake. I think his dedication to the sport is unquestioned, but how can he intercourse that up? He recently played a non-ranker in India. So, you'd think he would would know what he was doing when it comes to international tournaments.

absalutly

LOL!!

Oh what happened to you? Whatever happened to me? What became of the people we used to be?

Postby GJ

sorry if he put his paper work in early enough this wouldnt be an issue

matthew got his sorted early and is fine

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Janie Watkins who works for Paul Mount, Jimmy's management says on twitter the visa problems are genuine and that Jimmy must be gutted.

i have no doubt its genuine jimmy would be at the opening of a letter these days but how can there be problams for jimmy and not for a newcomer like Kurt Mafflin ?

Postby Black2white

thats what Matt PSB just wrote on twitter
'Jimmy arrived in China, then went to Thailand for a promotion and they wouldn't let him back into China because it was a one-time visa that he had. No idea if that's accurate.'

well that is something I would believe <doh> shame if its true

Postby likelylad

that would be harsh, poor Jim. Finally qualifying again, and then this bummer! Though it normally says on the visa, only for 1 visit / entry, unless its in Chinese, he could not read it

Postby Wildey

Black2white wrote:thats what Matt PSB just wrote on twitter
'Jimmy arrived in China, then went to Thailand for a promotion and they wouldn't let him back into China because it was a one-time visa that he had. No idea if that's accurate.'

well that is something I would believe <doh> shame if its true

buck me

there needs to be a total shake up with this visa bullocks.

last 2 seasons theres been so much crap relating to visa problems and burocracy red tape cobblers

Postby SnookerFan

likelylad wrote:Apparently Jimmy showed his credit card to China customs and was not allowed in.

In seriousness, if it would be O'sullivan, everyone would go on the band wagon and say its another excuse not to play. I only can assume
White did not want to go, as hes been on the circuit for a couple of decades and travelled all over the world

I was waiting for somebody to bring up Ronnie O'Sullivan's name. But the difference being that Ronnie has pulled out of so much in the last few seasons, that it's going to make people suspicious of his reasons.

With Jimmy on the other hand, the highlighted bit in your quote leads me to believe that Jimmy isn't pulling out because he doesn't want to play there. He was playing in India a few months back, on a voluntary non-ranking event. Why would he want to pull out when there was ranking points at stake? That doesn't make sense.

For me, Jimmy's love of the game is not in question. If it was, why would he still be playing on now he's a gazillion years old?

Postby Sarah Mount

I am still looking into the situation but from what I can gather at present, this is the situation:

Jimmy was working in China a couple of weeks ago at an exhibition event. When he applied for his visa for this work, he explained that he needed a visa for this earlier event and for the China Open. This was granted and he went to China as planned. He has since been in Thailand and was due to fly from Thailand to China in time for his match on Monday. He went to the airport in Bangkok to board his flight to China and was told there was a problem with his visa and he was not allowed onto his flight to China. As you can imagine, Jimmy is devastated and more than a little annoyed! After such a great season this is a terrible way for it to end for him. Please be assured that Jimmy was 100% intending on playing in the China Open and no-one is more disappointed than him that he will not be able to do that.

That is as much as I know at the moment until I speak with the company that issued the visa tomorrow during their opening hours.

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:rules are rules

<ok>

I hope you get over this dissapointment by tomorrow GJ. I'd hate Jimmy's non attendance to put a cloud over the tourny for you.........you seem really devastated.

Can I suggest .................................

If things get too tough to cope with now that Jimmy is not gonna play. :wave: