Post a reply

Potential new formats?

Postby Tubberlad

Hearn often mentions bringing variety and a sense of difference to each tournament. Anyone have potential formats that you'd like to see. Keep the discussion serious... not looking at anyone, Smart.

Re: Potential new formats?

Postby Wildey

i have no problem with Round Robin IF theres something to gain on dead matches...The PL and CL has it right with cash for frames.

Doubles tournament now that would be different and a long time coming in snooker every other sport has the doubles theme in it.

Postby Bourne

Nah I never warmed to round-robin, just over-complicates matters. Keep the pressure on players for every match with straight KO <ok>
Sets i'd definitely support at one ranker
And a World Cup event should be imminent too, now the game is going more and more global

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Nah I never warmed to round-robin, just over-complicates matters. Keep the pressure on players for every match with straight KO <ok>
Sets i'd definitely support at one ranker
And a World Cup event should be imminent too, now the game is going more and more global

JULY

29 June - 3 July
China Invitational

5-10
Wuxi Classic

11-17
World Cup
Thailand

22-24
PTC 3

Postby Bourne

Good good :D Do we know much more about that event yet wild ? Like, who's playing and a format etc ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Good good :D Do we know much more about that event yet wild ? Like, who's playing and a format etc ?

no its next season BUT its only 5 months away.

Postby Tubberlad

That world cup has potential to be a seriously exciting event. They've got to do it right though, no rubbish like Asian nations combined or Rest-of-World.

There should be a good number of teams, between twelve and sixteen. Quality might not be great with some teams, but it's a great opportunity to spread the game.

Postby Monique

Round robin is the fairest of all formats and if there is a decent incentive to win "dead" matches (points/money) then that's the one I would like to see in every event actually: it rewards consistency rather than "on the day" form. I know it's impossible. It takes too much time to be adequate for television except with a very limited number of players like in the PL
I honestly can't see what's complicated with round-robins.

Postby Roland

as a spectator, league formats bore me. Great to play in, because you test yourself against everyone but :zzz: to watch

Postby Caledonian Craig

How about having a tournament similar to the World Final Event in Tennis.

One where the top eight ranking point winners at the end of each season meet in an end of season tournament at somewhere like the SECC or NEC. Eight players play from quarter-final stage in knockout matches with 8th place playing 1st, 7th playing 2nd etc etc.

Postby GJ

the round robin was good in 06 but BS in 07

IMHO

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:the round robin was good in 06 but BS in 07

IMHO

:redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

I'd like to see something similar to the old Grand Prix format, with random draw undertaken before each round. (Even before the first round. So it isn't neccessarily top-16 vs non-top 16er in every first round match. And slightly longer matches then the World Open. I feel the random draw between each round of matches was exciting, but the best of five format wore a little thin, to a point where I couldn't care less who drew who.

1) Firstly, make it a non-ranker. So there can be no issue with the random draw, or people complaining of "easier draws" helping them shoot up the rankings.
2) Have only the top 32 enter.
3) Have it at a time pre-traditional season, so it gives the top-16 more chances to get match sharp pre-tournaments. (The Shanghai Masters for example, always seemed to have the top-16 lacking the match sharpness. Until Hearn came in, of course.)
4) Have matches increasingly longer for each round. The first rounds = Best of nine. The last 16= Best of 11. The quarter finals and semi-finals, Bes of 13. (With MSI after five frames). And final best of 19.

I'll get called old fashioned, as it's not too different from some of the older tournaments. But it features the top 32 players in the world. Offers us frames that are longer then the best of fives and sevens becoming common. And you televise a live random draw before each tournament.

I'd watch it.

Postby wheelsofsteel

I think the only format that hasn't been tried is the two-man round-robin, playing each other in 47 best-of-three frame matches

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:I think the only format that hasn't been tried is the two-man round-robin, playing each other in 47 best-of-three frame matches

Can I suggest a modfication? How about a pre-tournament opener, akin to the Charity Sheild in football. Where the World Champion plays the UK Champion in one best of 47 match. I'd watch that. <ok> Or in the case of it being the same person, the World Champion/UK Champion plays the highest ranked player who isn't him.

It'd never happen, but I'd actually watch that.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:I think the only format that hasn't been tried is the two-man round-robin, playing each other in 47 best-of-three frame matches

Can I suggest a modfication? How about a pre-tournament opener, akin to the Charity Sheild in football. Where the World Champion plays the UK Champion in one best of 47 match. I'd watch that. <ok> Or in the case of it being the same person, the World Champion/UK Champion plays the highest ranked player who isn't him.

you seen next seasons calendar? :huh2:

wed barely fit that in, anyway the WC final is pretty much the curtain raiser for "next" season cos PTC1 starts in early June, under 3 months away, thats scary actually :scared:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

wed barely fit that in, anyway the WC final is pretty much the curtain raiser for "next" season cos PTC1 starts in early June, under 3 months away, thats scary actually :scared:

Is that going to be on television next season, or what? I was somewhat underawed last year, that the PTCs were nothing but a list of results on the internet. <doh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Is that going to be on television next season, or what? I was somewhat underawed last year, that the PTCs were nothing but a list of results on the internet. <doh>

rofl rofl

Postby wheelsofsteel

of course, my idea of 47-frames may not fit in with Barry's plans as he likes draws in snooker - so 46 frames may be an alternative

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:of course, my idea of 47-frames may not fit in with Barry's plans as he likes draws in snooker - so 46 frames may be an alternative

If it was Hearned up, they'd have it on in a day. Each shot would last 10 seconds.

Postby jojo

i would like to see a new 32 player event using the format of the football world cup

32 players eight groups of four two seeds in each group

in the group stages each player plays each other once and matches are first to four frames or a 3-3 draw three points for a win and one for a draw

top two qualifies from each group advancing into the last sixteen knockout stage where first place plays runner up etc last sixteen best of nine and quarter finals best of eleven

here is the schedule

group stages from friday to wednesday

sessions at 10am 1330 1630 and 1945 no midsession intervals

friday groups a b c d first round of matches
saturday groups e f g h first round of matches
sunday groups a b c d second round of matches
monday groups e f g h second round of matches
tuesday groups a b c d final round of matches
wednesday groups e f g h final round of matches

last sixteen thursday 8 matches over two tables matches best of nine
sessions 10am x2 matches
1345 x2 matches
1700 x2 matches
2000 x 2 matches

quarter finals friday over two tables best of eleven
sessions at 1300 x 2 matches and 1845 x 2 matches

semi final one table situation best of seventeen played on saturday and sunday sessions at 1230 and 1800
semi final 1 sessions saturday at 1230 and sunday at 1800
semi final 2 sessions saturday at 1800 and sunday 1300
this is to ensure balance between two semi finals all four players taking part over both days

final on a bank holiday monday best of 23 three sessions
first session at 1200 seven frames
second session at 1630 next seven frames
final session at 2000 possible nine frames

so gradually people see everything from two table set up to one
early stages from near lottery short format to much longer format as tournament progresses
semi finals last session start at 1800 as final is over three sessions this means players who play second semi final arent jaded