Topic locked

The great pointless Crucible predictor

Postby Tubberlad

Basically, this is the fourth year that I've randomly predicted the outcome of each World Championship match with a standard 52 card deck. The system is simple, turn over two cards, if the card on the left is higher the frame goes to the player on the left, and vice-versa... keep going through the deck until a result has been manufactured, and if you've gone the through the deck without a player reaching the required frames, gather the cards and re-shuffle.

According to my draw, Graeme Dott will win this year's tournament, coming from 14-17 down in the final against Mark Williams. Mark Selby sees his dreams end in the semi-finals with a 7-17 hammering at Dott's hands, while Dominic Dale is the cinderella story, reching the semi-finals before losing narrowly to Williams.

We're in for some shocks, Trump reaches the quarter-finals having accounted for Neil Robertson 10-7 on day one, while the quarter-of-death becomes the quarter-of-sleep. Higgins never gets going in losing 10-5 to Lee, Shaun Murphy is hammered by Marcus Campbell, while Ronnie O'Sullivan blows an 8-2 lead in losing 10-9 to Dale.

So, what does this mean? Absolutely nothing :redneck: it is a pointless exercise that wasted half an hour of study <laugh>

However, this draw has had some serious results in the past... In 2008 Ronnie O'Sullivan was predicted to win (albeit to beat Stephen Maguire in the final), while in 2010, Neil Robertson was predicted to beat Mark Selby in the final. In 2009, eventual runner-up Shaun Murphy was predicted to be the winner.

No tampering at all was done with the draw or any previous draw, so the success these draws have had is quite remarkable... but entirely coincidental :selby:

Re: The great pointless Crucible predictor

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:OK so you went through 31 matches, going through approx 700 or so card turns ... how long did this take you man ?

Not long at all... about half an hour <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:TRUMP WINS 10-9 WHAT A COMEBACK FROM 7-9 DOWN, WHAT A FIGHTER :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

HATAHS CAN STICK THAT IN THEIR PIPE AND SMOKE IT :ahh:

Well, if you turning some cards over, and pretending it has relevance to a Judd Trump match doesn't convince the doubters, what will? :huh2:

Postby Bourne

ROUND ONE RESULTS:

Neil Robertson 9-10 Judd Trump
Marco Fu 3-10 Martin Gould
Graeme Dott 10-2 Mark King
Allister Carter 8-10 Dave Harold
Ding Junhui 7-10 Jamie Burnett
Peter Ebdon 6-10 Stuart Bingham
Stephen Hendry 10-6 Joe Perry
Mark Selby 9-10 Jimmy Robertson

Mark Williams 10-8 Ryan Day
Jamie Cope 10-4 Andrew Pagett
Mark Allen 10-7 Matthew Stevens
Stephen Maguire 10-4 Barry Hawkins
Shaun Murphy 5-10 Marcus Campbell
Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-10 Dominic Dale
Ricky Walden 6-10 Rory McLeod
John Higgins 10-5 Stephen Lee

:scared: !!!

Postby Bourne

Carter came from 8-2 down to level at 8-8 in his match, then Dave stuck the knife in.
Dott was in serene form from the start, went 7-0 up at one point.
Ronnie let slip a 5-2 lead
Williams was behind almost all the way before winning the last 3 frames

My money's on Higgins actually :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:ROUND ONE RESULTS:

Neil Robertson 9-10 Judd Trump
Marco Fu 3-10 Martin Gould
Graeme Dott 10-2 Mark King
Allister Carter 8-10 Dave Harold
Ding Junhui 7-10 Jamie Burnett
Peter Ebdon 6-10 Stuart Bingham
Stephen Hendry 10-6 Joe Perry
Mark Selby 9-10 Jimmy Robertson

Mark Williams 10-8 Ryan Day
Jamie Cope 10-4 Andrew Pagett
Mark Allen 10-7 Matthew Stevens
Stephen Maguire 10-4 Barry Hawkins
Shaun Murphy 5-10 Marcus Campbell
Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-10 Dominic Dale
Ricky Walden 6-10 Rory McLeod
John Higgins 10-5 Stephen Lee

:scared: !!!

Yeah, I'd say that was about right. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

By the way, I don't mean fire out two cards, then reshuffle for the next frame. I just went straight through the deck, did it quickly <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

onlyevertonjon wrote:Tubber

Seeing as you have predicted at least one of the last 3 finalists using the cards will you be having bets on Williams and Dott to win the Worlds? Wouldnt be pointless then.

:D

Might go for Dott each way :santa: