Topic locked

Format Change

Postby PLtheRef

Only minor but it appears we are getting 17 frames on the first day of the final 8/9/ 8/10

Gives more room for getting through the match in a timely manner?

Re: Format Change

Postby Bourne

Hmm are they keeping the Monday evening session at the same time ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Hmm are they keeping the Monday evening session at the same time ?

Last year

3pm =8
8pm=8
3pm=8
8pm=11

This year

2pm=8
7pm=9
2pm=8
7pm=10

i think thats sensible change

Postby Bourne

100% agree, just pure common-sense, had to take the match off early a couple of times last year didn't they ? :?

Postby Rocket_ron

Wild wrote:Last year

3pm =8
8pm=8
3pm=8
8pm=11

This year

2pm=8
7pm=9
2pm=8
7pm=10

i think thats sensible change

yes i agree

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:100% agree, just pure common-sense, had to take the match off early a couple of times last year didn't they ? :?

the Selby v Higgins final started at 8pm with 13 frames to play on the monday with presentation etc it was 8.15 before they got out there .....i think mentally draining just thinking of playing 13 frames aproaching 8.30pm.

players will feel Fresher even with 13 frames to play at 7pm.

Postby SnookerFan

Perfectly sensible change. I'd wonder why they don't start all sessions at 2pm anyway. For people that have to be at work, staying up until 1am isn't desirable. And anything that minimises that, without shortening the match of course, is good.

And also, as I'm attending the final, there's less waiting around after I've got up for my hotel fry up for the match to start. :D

Postby Monique

I'm glad that a lot of you finally see sense. Just keep in my that we on continental Europe are one or two hours ahead of you so it's even later for us AND the Monday is a normal working day.
Also I was chatting with Michaela yesterday after the PTC Grand Final Final (ouf!) and she's all for starting the semis in the morning on Friday so that there is no evening session on the Saturday (that or a day of rest). She also has seen often enough how the finalist coming out of the latest Saturday session is usually out of sorts the next day and she thinks it's unfair.
It's not me, it's her who brought up the subject, as she was reflecting that maybe Martin Gould who had been playing a very tough match against Mark Selby and had got less time to rest, would have done better if it had been him playing the first semi on the day rather than Murphy.

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:I'm glad that a lot of you finally see sense. Just keep in my that we on continental Europe are one or two hours ahead of you so it's even later for us AND the Monday is a normal working day.
Also I was chatting with Michaela yesterday after the PTC Grand Final Final (ouf!) and she's all for starting the semis in the morning on Friday so that there is no evening session on the Saturday (that or a day of rest). She also has seen often enough how the finalist coming out of the latest Saturday session is usually out of sorts the next day and she thinks it's unfair.
It's not me, it's her who brought up the subject, as she was reflecting that maybe Martin Gould who had been playing a very tough match against Mark Selby and had got less time to rest, would have done better if it had been him playing the first semi on the day rather than Murphy.

But that will be irrelevant soon though, as the UK Goverment seek to introduce whole summertime. i.E. We would have a British Standard Time throughout the year

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:I'm glad that a lot of you finally see sense. Just keep in my that we on continental Europe are one or two hours ahead of you so it's even later for us AND the Monday is a normal working day.

By that, you mean Wild, right? They aint changed the match, they just mean that the match starts an hour earlier, and they change the amount of frames in a session a tad. It's barely even a change. Just trying to get it finished earlier.

Postby Wildey

michaela doesn't have to convert the arena from a 2 tables to a 1 table .....

if a quarter final finishes at gone midnight they would have 10 hours to change everything ..

if thats possible then thats a possibility but thats between WSA and Table fitters.

personally i dont think thats even a issue the issue is waiting around all day for a 3pm start to a final is mentally tiering all you want to do is get out there...

2 pm start we wont have tiering issues.

Postby jojo

much better the times of the final sessions for this year 2pm and 7pm normally by the time that hussy hazel irvine finish waffling it quarter past eight already before the players start

do they not realise a lot of people have to go to work early on the tuesday morning also it mentally better for the players to start at 7 and not 8

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:michaela doesn't have to convert the arena from a 2 tables to a 1 table .....

if a quarter final finishes at gone midnight they would have 10 hours to change everything ..

if thats possible then thats a possibility but thats between WSA and Table fitters.

personally i dont think thats even a issue the issue is waiting around all day for a 3pm start to a final is mentally tiering all you want to do is get out there...

For once, you make a good point.

Postby Tubberlad

Common sense prevails... the 2006, 2007 & 2010 finals were lucky to avoid all out farce in that they finished early frame wise (18-14, 18-13, 18-13), had it not been for that it could have been seriously embarassing...

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:Common sense prevails... the 2006, 2007 & 2010 finals were lucky to avoid all out farce in that they finished early frame wise (18-14, 18-13, 18-13), had it not been for that it could have been seriously embarassing...

Yeah. It's only common sense that starting early, and the match finishes early. It's not really a massive change. Other then frame allocation per day has changed a bit. I've got tickets to the final, though admittedly every session, and this doesn't bother me. So I don't see why anybody watching on telly wouldn't think it was a good idea. It's not like they've shortened the match itself.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:michaela doesn't have to convert the arena from a 2 tables to a 1 table .....

For once, you make a good point.

ill tell you what they could do is play a morning session on the first Thursday then the Quarters and the Second Round will overlap but then the quarters will finish on the afternoon then they will have the Wednesday evening to start converting for a 10am start with 1 table on the Thursday.

Postby Wildey

but then there will be 2 evening sessions without any play :roll:

Postby PLtheRef

Wild wrote:but then there will be 2 evening sessions without any play :roll:

Which could be covered by a best of 11 frame 3rd place match?

Postby Tubberlad

I just did my annual crucible pack of cards predictor (yes, I am sad) :P graeme dott will be champion, defeating Mark Williams in a decider from 17-14 down...and before I get slaughtered it predicted a Neil Robertson win last year and Ronnie in 2008 :)

anyway, the girls won the all-Ireland basketball championship today and I am snake hissed hahaha

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote: the girls won the all-Ireland basketball championship today and I am snake hissed hahaha

just so i get this straight was you in the team ? :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:I just did my annual crucible pack of cards predictor (yes, I am sad) :P graeme dott will be champion, defeating Mark Williams in a decider from 17-14 down...and before I get slaughtered it predicted a Neil Robertson win last year and Ronnie in 2008 :)

anyway, the girls won the all-Ireland basketball championship today and I am snake hissed hahaha

Nothing sad about that. I'd be interested to know when correct, who you had the Champions beating in the final, and who you had the years that are incorrect. If anything, I might give it a go, for funsies. But, I'm sure, with an almost 100% failure rate. <laugh>