Topic locked

Sheffield. Snooker City.

Postby SnookerFan

I know that there is already a thread about what we're looking forward, but I wanted to add my own tribute to The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield. I think it deserves it.

Now, I know I have been criticised a lot in life, both on this site and off, for constantly repeating myself. And telling stories I find interesting more then once. But I make no apology for repeating a lot the stuff I say here. I travel to a lot of snooker venues to watch live snooker. This will be my sixth visit to The Crucible in a row, and I made my sixth annaual visit to Wembley this year. (Sundaygirl :wave: ) I also have been to Telford three years running, and have been to Newport twice. And one thing I have noticed is that when you go to Wembley, or Telford, or anywhere else you go to watch snooker. This may seem like an obvious statement, and it is. There is nothing wrong with going to live snooker. It's a fun thing to do. But during World Championship fortnight, there is something different there. During that time frame, going to Sheffield and watching live snooker are exactly the same thing.

I stay in a hotel right by The Crucible. Every single fan who stays there during Crucible Fortnight is a snooker fan. Every single one. You go to the bar an hour before a game, or fifteen minutes after a game, people are there eating, drinking and talking about snooker. Stroll around town, and it is full of people discussing snooker. Believe it or not, one year before the final I went to a church service. And even the priest came up to me afterwards and said; "You here for the snooker? Who do you think will win?" After end of play on day one, which that year was about half-past nine, I got talking to a guy in the hotel bar over a beer. Apparently he came alone every year, like I did. But he came every year to the final. I said to him; "rubbish. Does that mean you came the year Ebdon played Dott?" He sighed, rolled back his head and went; "Oh bucking hell." We also had a good long talk about how fit Michaela Tabb was. And about though I hated Ronnie O'Sullivan, I at least could find something to hate about him. Whereas Ali Carter it was hard to have any opinion about at all. I also got talking to a member of the BBC camera crew. He gave me a load of his ideas about how snooker could be improved. They were all rubbish, pretty much how to shorten it so he didn't need to work such longer hours, but I nodded along.

Contrast that to Telford. The hotel I stayed in this year, I arrived, paid and was shown where my room was in a very mechanical way. Whilst I was waiting for my card to go through I said; "I'm here for the snooker." My response was; "Oh!" At Sheffield, I'd have got a prediction from the member of staff as to who was going to win. They may only memorise the names of players, and guess. But they make the effort, knowing why people are there. That was my third year at Telford and my third different hotel. As oppose to Sheffield where I stay at the same one every year. Says it all. One year, a guy walked into the hotel bar at Telford and said; "Oooh, snooker is on telly. Where's this being held?" <doh> (I know I tell that story a lot, but it bears repeating.)

Wembley, I commute to, because I'm close enough. But the theory is the same. The atmosphere might look good on telly, with all the shouting. But you never get to interact with players at the Arena. At The Crucible, you'd struggle to be there a session, without talking to a player. I could create a whole new topic of examples about how Wembley staff don't give a feck about the snooker being on, and treat it just like any other event. :roll:

The point I'm trying to make is this. Yes the World Championships are special, and it's a special event. But part of that is due to the venue. And by the venue, I don't just mean The Crucible. I mean Sheffield, as a whole. Because the whole city becomes snooker for those two weeks. Whereas other cities host snooker. It's a big difference. Anybody who has watched the World Championship in Sheffield, and then watched a ranker elsewhere will know what I mean. The Worlds is the one tournament I'd argue to my deathbead about moving from it's current venue. That's not sentiment. I wouldn't want The Worlds held at a venue within walking distance of my flat. I'd move The Masters, which is commutable distance to me, to China before I'd move the Worlds.

My point, again, is that there's a world of difference between hosting a snooker venue, and becoming snooker. You go there, and it's 24/7 snooker, with people whose passion for the game exceeds anything I've seen anywhere else. Lock this thread if you want, ignore it. Think; "That drunken fat fool has been to his local again" if you like. But the point remains the same. The World Championship may be the perfect event, but because it has found it's perfect home. No other tournament has done this. Changing the name of the Grand Prix, and shortening matches don't change rubbish in the long run. I would doubt Glasgow has the same affinity for the tournament, that Sheffield has for the Worlds. Moving a tournament to Germany is good, but leave it in the same place in Germany for twenty years, in a city that is begging to keep the tournament, then you'll see what I mean.

It's not a dinosaur sense of traditionalism that keeps the snooker in Sheffield. It's the fact that Sheffield and snooker are so close to being the same thing, it can't leave. Rant over. :D

Re: Sheffield. Snooker City.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:you go to church in between watching the snooker in Sheffield :D:

your missing out

It was the final. It didn't start until 3pm. I had got up and had my fried breakfast, thought I'd go and y'know, thank the divine one for allowing me to be in Sheffield. :D

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:Good article <ok>

I didn't really mean it as an article. I just love The Crucible very much. It ran away from me. Note it down, I want my ashes scattered in Sheffield.

Postby Wildey

for what its worth i agree with you.

the place is small could be seen as rubbish from outsiders that the venue only holds about 900 people but until you been you cant fully appreciate what Sheffield is to snooker and what snooker gives Sheffield.

you can find a Bigger Venue and get a lot more people in to it no doubt about that but the atmosphere the crucible can create i dont think you can get at any other venue .

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:for what its worth i agree with you.

the place is small could be seen as rubbish from outsiders that the venue only holds about 900 people but until you been you cant fully appreciate what Sheffield is to snooker and what snooker gives Sheffield.

you can find a Bigger Venue and get a lot more people in to it no doubt about that but the atmosphere the crucible can create i dont think you can get at any other venue .

Correct.

Postby randam05

Aww that was poetry SF! You suprise me and produce these great stories and posts from time to time, very nice <ok>

Postby Witz78

:clap:

time to do what they do at the Masters, Premier League, Sky Shootout etc though and let the fans take drink in.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:

your missing out

It was the final. It didn't start until 3pm. I had got up and had my fried breakfast, thought I'd go and y'know, thank the divine one for allowing me to be in Sheffield. :D

St Maries?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

time to do what they do at the Masters, Premier League, Sky Shootout etc though and let the fans take drink in.

why not

Terry Griffiths did :redneck:

Postby randam05

Tea much much better than alcohol.

BTW guys its about time I confessed to my tea addiction! Seriously always drinking it. <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

why not

It’s a disgrace that the stewards are under strict orders to go crazy if they spot you drinking in the arena. Whats the harm in it? It adds to my viewing enjoyment and also would attract younger fans to come and watch the sport. Would also stop myself and a good few others hanging around the Crucible bar whilst frames are in play which creates the effect the arena is half empty. Anyway, a contingency plan is in operation this year, ive had enough of having to slyly pull drink out from under my seat and quickly sneak a gulp the hide it again. This year is all about taking Milk Shakes into the arena which contain Baileys in them instead of Milk Shake. A fool proof way of flouting the alcohol ban. And a readily available supply of vodka in coke bottles hidden in the bushes outside for future use, as required.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

your missing out

St Maries?

Incorrect.

Postby SnookerFan

The alcohol thing tends not to bother me. I go to watch snooker rather then get snake hissed. I tend to spend enough time downing beers in the hotel bar after the games anyway.

Postby Smart

Agree entirely with the Sheffield being totally Snooker City. <ok> I can remember my first visit in 2008. Met up with Sonny in the bar area and had not looked in to the arena yet. Sonny said "have you looked yet....?", "look at the green-ness of the tables!!!!" and then you see how closely packed in it all is. The "green-ness" comment stuck cos the tables just look so lush and are so reactive (gets me thinking to the ROS inside sport interview where he talks about the cushions offering him so many options :bowdown: ). When you see how lightly the players can touch a ball and the reaction they get....................it never fails to amaze me. :D :idea: :D :idea:

Why do I get a thill from playing a screw shot, or from playing a shot with loads of side to react sharply off a cushion........... :idea: :excited: :excited: :idea:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:Agree entirely with the Sheffield being totally Snooker City. <ok> I can remember my first visit in 2008. Met up with Sonny in the bar area and had not looked in to the arena yet. Sonny said "have you looked yet....?", "look at the green-ness of the tables!!!!" and then you see how closely packed in it all is. The "green-ness" comment stuck cos the tables just look so lush and are so reactive (gets me thinking to the ROS inside sport interview where he talks about the cushions offering him so many options :bowdown: ). When you see how lightly the players can touch a ball and the reaction they get....................it never fails to amaze me. :D :idea: :D :idea:

Why do I get a thill from playing a screw shot, or from playing a shot with loads of side to react sharply off a cushion........... :idea: :excited: :excited: :idea:

Totally know what you mean about the arena. Yes, the atmosphere on Crucible fortnight extends to the whole of Sheffield, but let's not forget the "wow factor" the venue itself produces. Walking through one of those doors, into the small yet perfectly sized venue, where the is no such thing as a bad seat always leaves chills. There is no sporting venue like it, let alone snooker venue.

I'm glad that talk of the Worlds going to China has been dropped in the Hearn era. Other tournaments can be moved, and attempt can be made to find their spritual home. But to move the World Championships would be folly of the highest order.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

your missing out

St Maries?

Incorrect.

But thats where you find the Divine one - only at St Maries

whether I'm saying that because thats where my folks were matched and my Aunt dispatched I dont know

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

why not

It’s a disgrace that the stewards are under strict orders to go crazy if they spot you drinking in the arena. Whats the harm in it? It adds to my viewing enjoyment and also would attract younger fans to come and watch the sport. Would also stop myself and a good few others hanging around the Crucible bar whilst frames are in play which creates the effect the arena is half empty. Anyway, a contingency plan is in operation this year, ive had enough of having to slyly pull drink out from under my seat and quickly sneak a gulp the hide it again. This year is all about taking Milk Shakes into the arena which contain Baileys in them instead of Milk Shake. A fool proof way of flouting the alcohol ban. And a readily available supply of vodka in coke bottles hidden in the bushes outside for future use, as required.

the players are so close to the crowd its tougher to allow alcohol and expect there wont be idiots that would get snake hissed and be ass holes and put players off.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:whether I'm saying that because thats where my folks were matched and my Aunt dispatched I dont know

Do what? :huh:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:the players are so close to the crowd its tougher to allow alcohol and expect there wont be idiots that would get snake hissed and be ass holes and put players off.

The security peopel at The Crucible are idiots as well. If you're in your seat ten minutes before a match, and take your phone out to check you've turned it off, they're good at running up to you and going; "That better be turned off mate." But, one time when some drunk blokes came in and started heckling the players loudly, they stood round and looked at them angrily, but did buck all useful.

The rumours that those drunken loudmouths were Witz and his friends went unconfirmed.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

why not

the players are so close to the crowd its tougher to allow alcohol and expect there wont be idiots that would get snake hissed and be ass holes and put players off.

if people in the crowd are drunk and shouting out whether they are 2 feet away from the players or 20 feet away it doesnt make any odds, there still going to put the players off.

maybe they think cos the crowd are so close and on tv a lot that it looks bad a lot of them drinking? <doh>

anyway i usually get rowdy in the evening sessions and make noise and quite often this is done to p1ss off the stewards.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:whether I'm saying that because thats where my folks were matched and my Aunt dispatched I dont know

You find the Divine one at St Maries - whether thats because where my folks were wed, and my Aunt's funeral was held (during the 1990 wc) - i dont know.

Anyway, for a story Saturday 28th April 1985, my Gran goes to 6pm Mass at St Maries. A chap with some strange glasses and a Northern Irish accent walks in, sits near her for Mass.

Lets say the Divine one can pull some remarkable strings

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

You find the Divine one at St Maries - whether thats because where my folks were wed, and my Aunt's funeral was held (during the 1990 wc) - i dont know.

Anyway, for a story Saturday 28th April 1985, my Gran goes to 6pm Mass at St Maries. A chap with some strange glasses and a Northern Irish accent walks in, sits near her for Mass.

Lets say the Divine one can pull some remarkable strings

Oooh. <doh> Sorry, I'm stupid. When you said St Maries, I thought that was the name of the hotel. I'd never even heard of a hotel in Sheffield called that. :huh:

Then you start chatting about your gran, and some devine guy at the hotel, and I was like; "What the bucks he talking about?" :huh: rofl rofl

Anyway, I can't remember the church's name. It weren't a Catholic one though, so probably not.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
anyway i usually get rowdy in the evening sessions and make noise and quite often this is done to p1ss off the stewards.

Lets Hope Eirian Williams has his eye on you <ok> :redneck:

Postby gallantrabbit

I love being in the company of snooker nuts!! although sometimes I think I can't keep up with some of your keenness!
I hope we can create a similar atmosphere to a standard snooker venue when the circus come here to Brazil in Sep.

Postby gallantrabbit

By the way I've only been to Sheffield twice I think. One year I saw someone like Jim Meadowcroft :chin: and the second time watched Dean Reynolds v Steve James, the same year James went on to beat Hendry, '91 I think.
Great little venue but never had the chance to soak up the atmosphere like Snookerfan has.
If I had the chance I'd go to the opening rounds when you see more games and the venue is buzing and even more expectant. One year I'll do it. Not this year though...

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:I love being in the company of snooker nuts!! although sometimes I think I can't keep up with some of your keenness!
I hope we can create a similar atmosphere to a standard snooker venue when the circus come here to Brazil in Sep.

I love your keenness young rabbit. :bowdown: