Topic locked

Am I the only one looking forward to this?

Postby SnookerFan

I know we have the PTC finals first, which a lot of people will be looking forward to. And obviously, we're all looking forward to the World Championship which is the highlight of the year/highlight of my whole life.

But, for some reason I am super psyched about the China Open. Dunno why. Being that I have Mother's Day and a family birthday on 3rd April interrupting my viewing of the end, I'm still stoked for this. Williams vs Lee will be a good match, Stephen Hendry vs Matthew Stevens picques my interest. Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Ryan Day might be interesting, especially now Ryan Day knocked Ronnie out of the Welsh Open. Ken Doherty is there. Jimmy White is there. Martin Gould is there.

I am now acquainted with Li Hang and Li Yan due to the Chinalife Xingpai Hainan Classic last week, so am looking forward to getting to know more about them.

Am I the only person who thinks this could be a really :bowdown: ranking event?

Re: Am I the only one looking forward to this?

Postby jojo

i am very intrigued as to what ronnie o sullivan turns up he is in serious danger of dropping out of the top sixteen at the end of this season when looking at witz relegation thread

he not playing in the forthcoming ptc event so some players have a chance to make up some ground against him and we all know he barely gives a flying buck about events in the far east imagine if he lose his first match which is a strong possibility he will head to sheffield knowing if he gets knocked out in the first round he out of the top sixteen just imagine if he drawn against someone like trump fat bastard or day now that will be a match worth watching

as for other matches yes lee v williams is intriguing lee will want to eat up some more points so as to get into the elite for next year day could do ronnie again all things considered and hendry in danger of dropping out the elite aswell against a player who fighting to get back into the elite and will be high on confidence after qualifying for the crucible

all to play for very exciting times love this new ranking system players positions juggling about all over the place bit like wilds manhood when hendry playing ha

Postby randam05

No SF,I am very much looking forward to it as I am also a true snookerfan unlike some of these snooker snobs on here that dont enjoy watching snooker, or sorry, may not have the time.

As always I wont miss a minute of the action, I dont think I have since 2007 WC actually. Some good qualifiers here such as Ken and White.

Anyway yes im super excited for it! cant wait :D

Postby Bourne

Why would you be the only person interested :chin: This is a proper tournament that matters unlike the exho the other day that you wet your pants over <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Why would you be the only person interested :chin: This is a proper tournament that matters unlike the exho the other day that you wet your pants over <laugh>

So sue me for enjoying televised snooker. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:i am very intrigued as to what ronnie o sullivan turns up he is in serious danger of dropping out of the top sixteen at the end of this season when looking at witz relegation thread

he not playing in the forthcoming ptc event so some players have a chance to make up some ground against him and we all know he barely gives a flying buck about events in the far east imagine if he lose his first match which is a strong possibility he will head to sheffield knowing if he gets knocked out in the first round he out of the top sixteen just imagine if he drawn against someone like trump fat bastard or day now that will be a match worth watching

as for other matches yes lee v williams is intriguing lee will want to eat up some more points so as to get into the elite for next year day could do ronnie again all things considered and hendry in danger of dropping out the elite aswell against a player who fighting to get back into the elite and will be high on confidence after qualifying for the crucible

all to play for very exciting times love this new ranking system players positions juggling about all over the place bit like wilds manhood when hendry playing ha

Have you seen the china open trailer on World Snooker.com very sensibly no Ronnie on the trailer.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:1 frame exhos :limp:
Anyway JT is in this one and has a genuine chance of winning it so i'm pumped up :redneck:

jesus hes hardly reached a last 16 and you think he has a genuine chance of winning it :? :? :?

great if he does but ive seen no proof of it.

Postby Bourne

I can't remember who it was that made the point but it was about the top players getting ready for the Worlds and they traditionally don't do so well in this event so the 'outsiders' can make an impression and with JT already wrapping up Worlds qualification and winning matches comfortably, he can afford to relax in this tournament and at that moment he's at his most dangerous I feel, Fu is very beatable and then he can build up a head of steam. He's going to burst through a tournament some time sooner or later so why not here ? :huh2:

Postby jojo

not seen the china open banner but i cannot imagine ronnie o sullivan not being in the top 16 and it looks a possibility if he loses early in china something tells me he going to tank his match in china aganst day if he turn up we all remember the shananigans in 2008 when he talking about his manhood to his friend thinking the microphone was off he didnt seem to respect the chinese he was saying things underneath his breath like come on hurry up bucking idiot to the chinese interviewer and sniggering

his first round match at the crucible will be huge if its the match that decides if he stay in the top 16 for next year would love to see what kind of ronnie turns up how he deals with the pressure or if he couldnt give a flying buck he always saying he bored with the game would like to pack it in well we will find out what would happen if he drops out the elite

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I can't remember who it was that made the point but it was about the top players getting ready for the Worlds and they traditionally don't do so well in this event so the 'outsiders' can make an impression and with JT already wrapping up Worlds qualification and winning matches comfortably, he can afford to relax in this tournament and at that moment he's at his most dangerous I feel, Fu is very beatable and then he can build up a head of steam. He's going to burst through a tournament some time sooner or later so why not here ? :huh2:

i think thats a fallacy or a coincident but there has been high profile cases of players doing well in china before winning the Worlds.

John Higgins in 2009 reached the China Open final before going on to win the Worlds.

i agree regarding trump eventually he might break through out of the blue but we really dont know how he copes under latter stages pressures yet.

Postby Bourne

Higgins is the exception to the rule rather than the other way round, Williams and Ding finalists last year didn't even make the QFs, Ebdon lost R1 Sheffield in 09 after China final, Mags and Murphy went out early in 08 ... i'm not saying players go there to lose obviously but they definitely have more than one eye on the Crucible and getting their preparation both on and off table as good as possible. I really think they could do with moving this tournament somewhere else in the calendar to be honest and maybe have the PTCs as the penultimate tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

The way Higgins is going, I can see him doing well in both tournaments. Though I have a nagging feeling that his form isn't going to win him the worlds, I don't know why. Which knowing my predictions, means he'll whitewash every match at The Crucible. <laugh>

Wild does have a point. It's probably more coincedence then anything else. Remember the China Open is a pretty new event, so sooner or later somebody will win both in the same season. It's just with so many talent around, and strength in depth it's hard to win two titles a season, let alone in a row. It's like The Crucible Curse. There isn't really any real reason that a player can't do it. It just is too many talented players that causes titles to be shared around.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:Really psyched for this one. It could be one of the tournaments of the season.

It is definitely one of the tournaments of the season. Also one of the tournaments next season too :idea:

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Really psyched for this one. It could be one of the tournaments of the season.

It is definitely one of the tournaments of the season. Also one of the tournaments next season too :idea:

<laugh> <laugh> bucking Judd Trump fans. <doh>

One of the more entertaining ones of the season. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Smart wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:I still think they could do more to set it apart as it's worthy almost of fourth major status at this stage in my opinion...

they should make everyone play with a pirates eye patch over one eye......................that would give it a unique feel <ok>

Yeh, that would do it alright <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:I still think they could do more to set it apart as it's worthy almost of fourth major status at this stage in my opinion...

It's quite rare now though, a tournament with best of nines and a week long. That used to be all of them. Now it's just that, and the Shanghai Masters.

Postby SnookerFan

I have 3 days left of Annual Leave. I could carry them over to next financial year, or use them to watch the China Open. I am thinking of using one day to watch the snooker and carrying the remaining two. Hmmm...

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:I have 3 days left of Annual Leave. I could carry them over to next financial year, or use them to watch the China Open. I am thinking of using one day to watch the snooker and carrying the remaining two. Hmmm...

Use all 3 for the China Open or you are a mug. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I have 3 days left of Annual Leave. I could carry them over to next financial year, or use them to watch the China Open. I am thinking of using one day to watch the snooker and carrying the remaining two. Hmmm...

Use all 3 for the China Open or you are a mug. <ok>

It did strike me to do that. And the days would be decided for me, as my colleague is also using time off for two days out of the five next week. (I'd be off Monday, Tuesday and Friday.) However, I don't think I'm going to use all of them. I am thinking of carrying some over to next year.

I always have the week of The Masters off. Maybe I could have the UK Championship too. And, don't forget I've had four days off to help with Crucible viewing due to Easter and wedding holidays helping.... 3 days more then my usual allowance would come in very handy for these things next season.

Decisions. :chin: