Post a reply

Most partisan crowd ever in snooker....?

Postby Witz78

I'll set the wheels in motion on this thread with this gem from the final frame of Round 1 at the Masters in 1987 between Alex "Hurricane" Higgins and Terry "light breeze" Griffiths :)

The clip is well worth a view, not only for the tension of it being a final frame decider which has a few twists and turns, but especially for the continual noise the crowd make - what an atmosphere - and as for the ending, i dont think ive ever seen scenes like that at another snooker match !!!

The good old days <ok>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAP-BsEHiqU

Re: Most partisan crowd ever in snooker....?

Postby Casey

Look at the state of the guy at the end in the blue nicke tee-shirt <laugh> . They loved Alex in London and he gave them some great moments. That was 87, boy he faded bad in the next 3 years.

Jimmy obviously springs to mind as well, I remember one year he beat Hendry at Wembley and when Stephen was heading out of the arena these two guys leant over the side and stuck two fingers up right in his face, must have been pretty intimidating.

Also the crowd were crazy when Ronnie was playing Ding in the final, maybe Ding was a bit to young to take it at that stage of his career (who could blame him)

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:Look at the state of the guy at the end in the blue nicke tee-shirt <laugh> . They loved Alex in London and he gave them some great moments. That was 87, boy he faded bad in the next 3 years.

Jimmy obviously springs to mind as well, I remember one year he beat Hendry at Wembley and when Stephen was heading out of the arena these two guys leant over the side and stuck two fingers up right in his face, must have been pretty intimidating.

Also the crowd were crazy when Ronnie was playing Ding in the final, maybe Ding was a bit to young to take it at that stage of his career (who could blame him)

The guy in the Nike t-shirt rofl Either he was snake hissed, got that caught up in the match or had a few quid on Alex. The steward trying to restrain himwith the bushy red hair and beard reminds me of Brian Blessed rofl

I cant think of any other "pitch" invasions at a snooker match. Truly was a different era then, even though in some ways, it doesnt seem that long ago.

Poor Alex, by the end of the decade his career was effectively over. Was a pretty sudden fall from grace for him. The WPSBAs year ban at the start of the 90s was the final nail really, looking back i wonder whether some of those responsible for that decision feel a sense of regret.

It was excessive punishment and was more down to a personal vendetta against Higgins so the WPSBA had the easy life, but he was a major loss to the game and i still think snooker misses a bit of The Hurricane.

Sure he had turned 40 by the start of the 90s but ive no doubt he could have survived on tour until the late 90s at least, if personal problems hadnt taken over.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Witz. You've just made me leave behind me lighter, I'm a smoker, I'm not sure if you are, but my advice would be....Hang on. <laugh>

Back in a mo.

That was really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAP-BsEHiqU

Any chance of someone posting on here frames 9 to 12 of the '82 semi between Alex Higgins & Jimmy White? There is a plant that Jimmy White plays, playing from the baulk end of the table, pots it, & the cue ball comes close to where it started off. Quality.

I knew how to screw back at the time, but after seeing that shot, I always recommend for players learning this trade, to learn how to screw back of plants first. Its good advice.

I've hit a few. :)

Postby Witz78

Glad to hear you enjoyed that vid John <ok> Its one of my favourite snooker video finds on Youtube id say :)

I thought exactly the same about him standing up being Gamesmanship. I kept on thinking, right he will sit down now surely, he must just be waiting to see if Terry pots the first ball, but he remained stood up.....not that he had to wait too long. Terry bottle that match from 4-2 up.

Terrys infamous late 80s /early 90s bouffant hairdo was starting to take shape too i noticed. Even worse when he dyed it blonde, he was in his 40s for gods sake. Even i made a pledge to not go near peroxide once i turned 30 rofl

Witz78 wrote:Glad to hear you enjoyed that vid John <ok> Its one of my favourite snooker video finds on Youtube id say :)

I thought exactly the same about him standing up being Gamesmanship. I kept on thinking, right he will sit down now surely, he must just be waiting to see if Terry pots the first ball, but he remained stood up.....not that he had to wait too long. Terry bottle that match from 4-2 up.

Terrys infamous late 80s /early 90s bouffant hairdo was starting to take shape too i noticed. Even worse when he dyed it blonde, he was in his 40s for gods sake. Even i made a pledge to not go near peroxide once i turned 30 rofl

Quality Witz, no other word.

Postby N_Castle07

Hendry used to love rowdy crowds wanting him to loose. Every time he played White and they where all wanting him to loose he used to get a kick out of it and it somewhat helped him.