Post a reply

Re: Dominic Dale

Postby Bourne

Great interview, it's been hard to get to know Dominic so well in recent years because he's struggled so much to get the coverage on the big TV tournaments but if anything it's these guys that scrap away in qualifiers that interest me more because they're having to fight so hard just to earn a living but Dominic is a guy who's kind of tasted both worlds with his two ranking wins yet never being top-16 so it's great to read his thoughts. I think he's pretty much spot-on about Judd too <ok>

Postby gallantrabbit

Nice job Sonny.
It would be good for snooker if Dale were more prevelant. He`s a character and people are interested in him.

Postby Monique

Great interview Sonny!

But 6 PTCs in China? How is that going to work? Because already for those in Europe most players did lose money rather than earn some with transports and hotel. How are they going to travel as far as China? And with the jet-lag factor that could affect them if they have any qualifiers or tournament on the next week?
I think that indeed maybe having the best 6 results in PTCs taken into account, irrespective of how many you play and where would be a good idea (it works for tennis). But thoughts has to be given as how to combine it with the rolling ranking system.

Postby Wildey

Great Interview Dominic is such a easy player to interview you ask a question then he talks for the next 5 minute <laugh>

Sonny however one thing you failed to say you was one of thoes people in 2007 who thought Trump would actually win a tournament in 2008 :redneck: nothing people say is forgoten by me.

i think he is spot on about Trump aswell its totally unrealistic to think he could have been World Champion or win tournaments however more last 16s is suerly not to much to ask of a 21 year old with the talent he obviously has.

Postby SnookerFan

Top Job Sonny. Do you have connections, or do you just walk up to players at events, and ask if you can have an interview?

Postby Tubberlad

That's a really, really good interview. Best so far in my opinion.

Dale is an intelligent man, and I think he does bring a bit of character to the game.

As a player, I too class him as the best player never to reach the top sixteen. I attended the Northern Ireland Trophy the year he made the semi-finals, and he played so well. In the end he was undone by a freak performance from O'Sullivan. Dale himself though played some of the best snooker I've seen when he won the Shanghai Final from 6-2 down... breathtaking.

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:Top Job Sonny. Do you have connections, or do you just walk up to players at events, and ask if you can have an interview?

Both but this was the latter approach as explained in the opening paragraph.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:That's a really, really good interview. Best so far in my opinion.

Dale is an intelligent man, and I think he does bring a bit of character to the game.

As a player, I too class him as the best player never to reach the top sixteen. I attended the Northern Ireland Trophy the year he made the semi-finals, and he played so well. In the end he was undone by a freak performance from O'Sullivan. Dale himself though played some of the best snooker I've seen when he won the Shanghai Final from 6-2 down... breathtaking.

Dominic has everything and not scared of winning as he did in 1997 against John Higgins winning from 7-6 with a century and a 70+ limiting John who was WN 2 to 15 points.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Top Job Sonny. Do you have connections, or do you just walk up to players at events, and ask if you can have an interview?

S/fan :wave:

Postby randam05

That was a super super interview. Thanks Sonny! Really enjoyed it :)

Postby rebecca

I met him in the Helix there on Wednesday, was chatting with him for about 5 minutes, he's a sound bloke :)

Postby kostasmad

Great interview. I ve enjoyed it...

Postby randam05

rebecca wrote:I met him in the Helix there on Wednesday, was chatting with him for about 5 minutes, he's a sound bloke :)

Had a good old chat with him before too, he is a legend <ok>

Postby GJ

randam05 wrote:
rebecca wrote:I met him in the Helix there on Wednesday, was chatting with him for about 5 minutes, he's a sound bloke :)

Had a good old chat with him before too, he is a legend <ok>

he has more chance of being a comedian legend as he will never cut it as a snooker legend

<ok>

Postby Bourne

RC: Are there any seeds at the Crucible you would prefer to avoid?

DD: Well if you look at John Higgins and what he’s done since he came back from suspension, I think he’s lost one match which was in a PTC final against Michael Holt. He pulled out of Berlin of course after the sad death of his father John Snr, which was terrible news, but he’s won two ranking events since he’s come back so you don’t want to come up against John.

You possibly don’t want to play Robertson at the Crucible because he’s the reigning champion and a great player. Hendry’s dangerous at the Crucible because of his record and of course is the best player that’s ever played the game. Ronnie is a bit of an unknown quantity, as he’d tell you himself he’s been up and down this season and hasn’t played in a lot of events.

RC: How would you feel if you drew him?

DD: It’s tough because he has massive crowd support and if Ronnie’s playing well, he can be quite intimidating. He can reel off say 4 frames with big breaks and you don’t really get a shot and you can be caught out by watching his cue action and when he does make a mistake you could be thinking “Oh goodness me it’s my shot now”! But that wouldn’t happen in the Worlds, it’s too big a match.

Postby Smart

Hey guess who is there for ROS vs the Spaceman..........................

Clue No.1 - he wears glasses
Clue No.2 - he has short hair
Clue No.3 - he supports Liverpool FC

GL with your guesses... :idea:

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:

Yeah, hence my question. I had visions of all your interviews being you wondering up going; "Oi, want to do an interview?" <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:RC: Are there any seeds at the Crucible you would prefer to avoid?

DD: Well if you look at John Higgins and what he’s done since he came back from suspension, I think he’s lost one match which was in a PTC final against Michael Holt. He pulled out of Berlin of course after the sad death of his father John Snr, which was terrible news, but he’s won two ranking events since he’s come back so you don’t want to come up against John.

You possibly don’t want to play Robertson at the Crucible because he’s the reigning champion and a great player. Hendry’s dangerous at the Crucible because of his record and of course is the best player that’s ever played the game. Ronnie is a bit of an unknown quantity, as he’d tell you himself he’s been up and down this season and hasn’t played in a lot of events.

RC: How would you feel if you drew him?

DD: It’s tough because he has massive crowd support and if Ronnie’s playing well, he can be quite intimidating. He can reel off say 4 frames with big breaks and you don’t really get a shot and you can be caught out by watching his cue action and when he does make a mistake you could be thinking “Oh goodness me it’s my shot now”! But that wouldn’t happen in the Worlds, it’s too big a match.

Your have my support Dale. Knock the stuffing out of him. :D

Postby randam05

This is the first time ive been jealous of smart..

Postby graniteoatcake

great interview with DD mate. I love interesting characters who stick to their principles and beliefs irrespective of what others think about them, the way they play and do things.

Good Luck DD... keep doing it your way mate.

Nice one sonny

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:Hey guess who is there for ROS vs the Spaceman..........................

Clue No.1 - he wears glasses
Clue No.2 - he has short hair
Clue No.3 - he supports Liverpool FC

GL with your guesses... :idea:

ive got short hair
i support Liverpool
but i dont wear glasses :chin:

naaa need more clues mate :)

Postby Lucky

Surely it should be 'short hair....in places' <laugh>