Post a reply

Ronnie O'Sullivan Sr. released. Help or hindrance?

Postby Tubberlad

As we probably all know by now, Ronnie O'Sullivan's father, Ronnie O'Sullivan senior, will be released from prison in April having served an 18-year prison sentence for the murder of Charlie Kray's bodyguard in 1992. Whether he was guilty or not doesn't concern me, nor do I think anyone here should comment on something that they know nothing about. But, what I'd like to hear is what effect this release will have on O'Sullivan.

This will be O'Sullivan first World Championship without his father behind bars. I have no doubt his father's incarceration has had a negative effect on his career. O'Sullivan has suffered from depression, bipolar to be exact, and his fluctuating emotions have often seen him put in some shocking performances in spite of his undoubted brilliance. The Graeme Dott semi-final in 2006, and his abysmal 9-5 UK Championship loss to Joe Perry jump to mind.

Should O'Sullivan have won the World Championship before 2001? Probably. I consider him a superior player to John Higgins, Ken Doherty & Mark Williams (no disrespect those mentioned, one of whom is a very good player, the other two being greats of the game), who all managed to claim the Joe Davis trophy before O'Sullivan. I think he had a problem delivering on his immense talent, a mental block which may be attributed to his father.

Of course, it was tough on the guy. He hardly knows his own father, who should be a central figure in any person's life. Also, the manner in which he lost touch with his father must have been quite disturbing. Whatever people think of O'Sullivan, there's no doubting this was a hard blow and could only have been a hindrance. The guy hasn't had it easy, and it's impossible for us to understand his condition, unless we've suffered from bipolar disorder ourselves (which I haven't, thankfully). My father is still a pivotal figure in my life, and if I didn't have him, well, things just wouldn't be the same. I know there's a lot of people who dislike O'Sullivan, and I'm not forcing anyone to like him, but stop to think for a while.

Will his father's release have a positive effect on him, particularly at this year's World Championship? O'Sullivan's form has been patchy of late, so maybe this is the kind of motivation he needs? When he has the head down, and is determined to do something, O'Sullivan can be untouchable.

Or, will it have the opposite effect? Will it be too great a burden on his shoulders? Having had his father locked up for eighteen years, perhaps the emotions of the whole situation may get the better of him. And often, we see O'Sullivan throwing in an awful display when under too much pressure.

What do I think? I think it's downright wrong to judge what's going to happen in a situation like this. Only Ronnie O'Sullivan knows what's going on in his own head. I don't think anybody can say whether he's going to be unstoppable or abysmal come mid-April. I'm going to reserve judgement for after the Crucible. If he wins, we can safely say he's been inspired. If not, we can safely say the pressure was too much.

All I know is, it'll be intriguing to watch. But is it going to be a help or hindrance? Too early for ANYONE to say.

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan Sr. released. Help or hindrance?

Postby N_Castle07

Tubber – I think this is too difficult to predict. O’Sullivan is one of the most unpredictable sportsmen ever. Yes he would love to win it this year for his dad but he may go the other way and think to himself there is more to life than snooker. It would be a great sporting moment if he could do it. Reality isn’t that simple tho. It would have been great for Paul Hunter to win the last Worlds he played in before dying but sometimes in reality these great sporting moments don’t happen.

Postby Tubberlad

I agree N_Castle, it is too difficult to predict, that's the point I'm trying to make. I've heard people saying it'll be too much, I've heard others say he'll be inspired. I think it's stupid to predict when O'Sullivan is involved.

As for the Paul Hunter comparison...well, there is none. Hunter was NEVER going to win his last Worlds before his death. O'Sullivan CAN. Whether he will or not, I don't know.

Postby Casey

Tubber, good article but you say people should not comment on his innocence or guilt because we don’t know about it. Well we do know, he was found guilty of a very heinous crime so his guilt is not in doubt and I think is relevant to the question you ask.

To have a parent go to prison is one thing, but for the crime in question I believe has made matters worse. There was shame and disgrace brought upon Snr's family and Ronnie in a high profile position has had to bear the most of that.

I think it is impossible to say whether or not it will have a positive, negative or any effect on Ronnie. However if I were to make a guess I would say it will have no effect on the snooker sides of his life, he has nothing to prove to his dad and there is a lot of water under the bridge. Ronnie is not a young lad anymore and the reliance on his father is not as it was years ago.

O'sullivan has been very consistent this year and that will continue into the World Championship, he will be happier in his home life but I don't think this will transpire into his snooker.

Postby Tubberlad

That's true Case, but it's something O'Sullivan has always totally denied. Although I suppose that's natural. I just don't really want to comment on that issue.

You're right Case, it may have no effect whatsoever as far as snooker is concerned.

Postby Casey

Surprisingly It hasn't been that high profile in the press, I suppose it was better for Ronnie that his dad was not released in the middle of a tournament. I am sure they would want to keep as much out of the press as possible.

I think it will all add to the enigma that is Ronnie and we will all be glued to see how he reacts

Postby Tubberlad

N_Castle07 wrote:yes i thought it had something to do with fraud. I'm very interested in buying Ronnie's book, do you know if it is a good read?

It's a cracking read NCastle, but it only covers up to 2001 if I remember right. Really enjoyed the book myself, he ain't boring that's for sure. Pulls no punches, especially with Hendry & Williams. And wasn't too glowing about Parrott either. I don't mind a bit of honesty, once it doesn't go too far.

Postby Wildey

turn it around

if anyone on here had their father,mother,brother,sister released from prison after a 20 year stretch could you truthfully give a stuff about your job ?

Postby Casey

He is getting out in full time in April, I wonder is it before the WC. Anyway it would seem Snr has been in and out over the last year so Ronnie has had the opportunity to spend time with jnr. I wonder is this why Ronnie has been very consistent this year

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:He is getting out in full time in April, I wonder is it before the WC. Anyway it would seem Snr has been in and out over the last year so Ronnie has had the opportunity to spend time with jnr. I wonder is this why Ronnie has been very consistent this year

if thats true god Ronnie doesn't seem happy to have his father around is he......he is such a miserable git to put it lightly.

Postby Monique

I think Littlesense answer on 606 says it all.
see http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F16100516? ... 54&show=50
I think the reason why you have got various ideas around this from people is that Ronnies dad comming out will be both a positive and negative thing for him. It will be an incentive mostly that may help Ronnie pick up the pace, it was Ronnies dads idea to get Ray Reardon on the scene which was a fantastic idea and im sure he will be thinking of getting a good team of people around to support his son at the worlds. However is Ronnie going to cope with having his dad around him all day every day ? Is Ronnie going to cope with the meda circus ? Is the worlds going to turn into some party where old friends are invited which takes the focus of of Ronnie. The first thing the O'sullivans have to decide on within the sport is if Ronnie snr should be at shefield or not, if he doesnt go then you miss out on the oppertunity that they have all been waiting for, if he does go then he puts Ronnies 4th title chances under pressure and at risk.

Personally I think the pressure will be too high, but that's only my opinion. And I hope to be proved wrong.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:I think Littlesense answer on 606 says it all.
see http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F16100516? ... 54&show=50
I think the reason why you have got various ideas around this from people is that Ronnies dad comming out will be both a positive and negative thing for him. It will be an incentive mostly that may help Ronnie pick up the pace, it was Ronnies dads idea to get Ray Reardon on the scene which was a fantastic idea and im sure he will be thinking of getting a good team of people around to support his son at the worlds. However is Ronnie going to cope with having his dad around him all day every day ? Is Ronnie going to cope with the meda circus ? Is the worlds going to turn into some party where old friends are invited which takes the focus of of Ronnie. The first thing the O'sullivans have to decide on within the sport is if Ronnie snr should be at shefield or not, if he doesnt go then you miss out on the oppertunity that they have all been waiting for, if he does go then he puts Ronnies 4th title chances under pressure and at risk.

Personally I think the pressure will be too high, but that's only my opinion. And I hope to be proved wrong.

I think the added "pressure" will spur him on. Ronnie usually needs some kind of motivation to get his finger out and produce the snooker everyone knows hes capable of.

The more i think about things, the more im beginning to think Ronnie might be a stick on for this years WC.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:you said and i will quote it.

The more i think about things, the more im beginning to think Ronnie might be a stick on for this years WC.

you think because his father out he is nailed on certainty to be World Champion that my friend is a stupid quote.

firstly, whatever his frame of mind and off table distractions, Ronnie would be among the favourites to win the title. FACT <ok>

i said im beginning to think Ronnie might be a stick on for this years WC. - NOT he is a nailed on certainity, so why dont you read my comments properly before you misquote me <doh>

Postby Tubberlad

Witz, you can NOT compare Wild to Frame. Ever. I consider Wild a top guy, Frame is a total knobjockey. Chalk and Cheese, black & white.

Wild, to be fair, he was only expressing an opinion originally, so lets not get too angry. And let's keep the Seifer references to a minimum.

Postby Tubberlad

This is what I wrote back on 606, defending myself.

well, I arrive home, and this is what's in front of me. <laugh> Oh well, I was kind of expecting it to be honest :)

Anyway, look.

Did I write an article to show sympathy to O'Sullivan's father? No, I will never condone someone who commits such a heinous crime.

May sound a little callous, but his victim had links with a very notorious bunch of criminals. All mur.der is wrong, and again, I don't condone the actions of O'Sullivan sr., but you place a bet knowing the risk of losing. For all I know, he could have been a great bloke, I don't know anything about him, but when you're linked to people like that...well, you're playing with matches. I'd say the same if it were me.

Did I set out to disrespect those affected by murder? <laugh> whatever. Of course I didn't. I'm more open than most users on 606. Why? I've nothing to hide. I've been affected by death, no more about it. I'd bet that 99% of people here have. Yet all users, bar one, seem interested in discussing this topic.

Well, that's my lot. Make what you want.

Postby Monique

well whatever what wee think, Ronnie wants him to be there
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... e-bid.html

Ronnie O'Sullivan wants dad out of prison to see world snooker title bid

Ronnie O'Sullivan has said he wants his father to be freed from prison in time to watch him play at this year's World Snooker Championships.

Published: 9:55AM GMT 16 Feb 2010

O'Sullivan Snr has never seen his son play on the game's biggest stage due to the fact he has been locked up for the last 18 years for the murder of Bruce Bryan, a driver for Charlie Kray - the father of London gangsters Ronnie and Reggie.

The World Championships start on April 17 at The Crucible Theatre and O'Sullivan's father is due for release in April.

O'Sullivan told The Sun: "Please God he can come. He has been a model prisoner. It's down to the Home Office and prison authorities.

"I hope they feel he's ready to come home and then I'm hoping the justice system will do the right thing."

So be it. :bowdown:

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:well whatever what wee think, Ronnie wants him to be there
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... e-bid.html

Ronnie O'Sullivan wants dad out of prison to see world snooker title bid

Ronnie O'Sullivan has said he wants his father to be freed from prison in time to watch him play at this year's World Snooker Championships.

Published: 9:55AM GMT 16 Feb 2010

O'Sullivan Snr has never seen his son play on the game's biggest stage due to the fact he has been locked up for the last 18 years for the murder of Bruce Bryan, a driver for Charlie Kray - the father of London gangsters Ronnie and Reggie.

The World Championships start on April 17 at The Crucible Theatre and O'Sullivan's father is due for release in April.

O'Sullivan told The Sun: "Please God he can come. He has been a model prisoner. It's down to the Home Office and prison authorities.

"I hope they feel he's ready to come home and then I'm hoping the justice system will do the right thing."

So be it. :bowdown:

Ignorant journalist <doh> .... Charlie was the older brother of Ronnie and Reggie <ok>

Postby Monique

rocket_ron wrote:help or hindrance? neither......ronnie has achieved all he is gonna achieve. ronnie cant better himself, he has started on the slippy slope. if ronnie sr was out 5 years ago it may have helped. so nothing will change

maybe ... but that's exactly what Clive Everton said in October 2007 ... "Ronnie will never win another tournament." and explained why with lots of details ... Oh well. :chin:

Postby Eirebilly

I honestly believe that it will help Ronnie. He will be highly motivated to perform in front of his father and we all know what sort of a damaging player Ronnie can be when motivated. That said, i still feel that its Robbo, Selby or Murphy's year this year.