Post a reply

Michael Holt

Postby randam05

I havent really looked at him on wiki before, like I do with many other players and his attitude is poorer than I thought really, and his ability to choke is shocking! Quotes from wiki :

''He lost in the final qualifying round of the World Snooker Championship in 2001 and 2002. Holt almost qualified for the 2004 event – he was 9–5 ahead in his final qualifying match against Anthony Hamilton, before losing the next five frames to lose the match.''

''In the 2005 World Snooker Championship, he beat his friend Paul Hunter in the first round. In the second round he faced Steve Davis, losing 10–13 after having led 8–2.''

''He then lost 4–5 to Robert Milkins in the last 16, having led 4–0.''

Theres some bad results there, im sure many other players have similar results though. And heres some of his actions from wiki :

''Despite frequently losing final-frame matches, Holt has stated that he's 'not a choker', and that he just lacks concentration.''

''He has been docked frames for swearing during matches, and was fined for throwing up chocolate early in the 2006/2007 season during a second round match. Holt is also infamous for conceding the deciding frame (while level at 4–4) in a China Open match in 2005 against Joe Perry, while there were still 13 reds left available to pot. On a similar theme, his nickname “The Hitman” comes from his penchant for hitting the table in anger, which once resulted in a broken knuckle.''

Im not criticising him, just stating some points I didnt know, and some people on here may not know. Personally I enjoy watching him, and would like to see more of him. But some of those actions are a little bad! As I write this, he is 3-1 up on Marco Fu and wouldnt it be ironic to lose 4-3 now. <laugh>

Peoples thoughts on the nottingham 'hitman'?

Re: Michael Holt

Postby Roland

A character in the same vein as Alex Higgins, Tony Drago and Ronnie O'Sullivan in that they are sometimes just as entertaining watching them in their seats as they are when at the table.

Postby kostasmad

I like the guy...He listens to the Levellers and they are a great band...Enough reasons for me to like him....

Postby Wildey

he unraveled Badly against Dominic Dale in the WC no doubt about that.

Postby randam05

Wild wrote:he unraveled Badly against Dominic Dale in the WC no doubt about that.

Well to lose the next 7 consecutive frames from 6-3 up, thats pretty bad! But youre only looking at that one cause its recent. Theres probably been many many more in the past 10 years.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
Wild wrote:he unraveled Badly against Dominic Dale in the WC no doubt about that.

Well to lose the next 7 consecutive frames from 6-3 up, thats pretty bad! But youre only looking at that one cause its recent. Theres probably been many many more in the past 10 years.

yes lost count :redneck:

Postby Witz78

His collapse in 2005 v Davis was great though the Nugget played well

Postby jojo

he an extrovert no doubt about it i remember ronnie o sullivan once moaning about him saying he make all these annoying twitchy faces and the like a bit pot and kettle ronnie what about towel over your head and mocking of ebdon at the crucible and the like

i think holt a journeyman but i quite enjoy his mannerisms off the table sometimes you think he not got a lot between his ears but he is actually a qualified fitness instructor wouldnt be surprised if there a bit of needle between him and stephen lee ha

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:he an extrovert no doubt about it i remember ronnie o sullivan once moaning about him saying he make all these annoying twitchy faces and the like a bit pot and kettle ronnie what about towel over your head and mocking of ebdon at the crucible and the like

i think holt a journeyman but i quite enjoy his mannerisms off the table sometimes you think he not got a lot between his ears but he is actually a qualified fitness instructor wouldnt be surprised if there a bit of needle between him and stephen lee ha

yup dont imagine Stephen likes to be close to a fitness instructor <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

I like watching Michael Holt, but the thing that makes him so watchable is what makes him a 'choker' is that he puts too much pressure on himself on every shot. Every miss, you can see how much that miss upsets him. I like watching a player that you can tell playing and winning means that much too, but he's not somebody who can play a bad shot, then put it out of his mind. Once he misses one or two, he gets wound up and starts missing more.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I like watching Michael Holt, but the thing that makes him so watchable is what makes him a 'choker' is that he puts too much pressure on himself on every shot. Every miss, you can see how much that miss upsets him. I like watching a player that you can tell playing and winning means that much too, but he's not somebody who can play a bad shot, then put it out of his mind. Once he misses one or two, he gets wound up and starts missing more.

but he never misses his fist on the side of a table as Dennis keeps reminding us <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I like watching Michael Holt, but the thing that makes him so watchable is what makes him a 'choker' is that he puts too much pressure on himself on every shot. Every miss, you can see how much that miss upsets him. I like watching a player that you can tell playing and winning means that much too, but he's not somebody who can play a bad shot, then put it out of his mind. Once he misses one or two, he gets wound up and starts missing more.

but he never misses his fist on the side of a table as Dennis keeps reminding us <laugh>

Yeah, he likes that story, don't he?

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Not as much as joe johnson and dave hendon :gag:

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Not as much as joe johnson and dave hendon :gag:

One of the people without BBC Interactive should do a stat watch, and see how many times that is mentioned, despite Michael Holt not qualifying. We also need an Incredible India counter as well. Any volunteers?

Postby nice_shoes_ken

His temper equals Quinten Hann's, he comes from scummy Nottingham boooo, and he is one of the most inconsistent players on the circuit. Holty needs to calm down but he will never do, watched him at the Crucible against Higgins two years ago and you can easily see him get frustrated, racked up one decent frame but that was about it.