Post a reply

Great Match Reccomendations

Postby simplysnooker

I'm fairly new to snooker, having only been watching the game since 2008. So what matches can you reccomend to me which I've missed.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Great Match Reccomendations

Postby Bourne

Not sure if it's been mentioned much but the 1985 World final was decent, Davis lost 18-17 but Taylor never goes on about or anything ...

Postby randam05

<laugh>

Urmm good question really, would like to hear the answers as ive only been watching since 06.

Selby vs Murphy at the WC semi final in 2007 is a good one. <ok>

Postby Wildey

simplysnooker wrote:why do i bother? :(

Stephen Hendry v Ronnie O'Sullivan 1999 World Championship semi final...

Standard from the Gods.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

Standard from the Gods.

2004 and 2008 WC semis - Standard from Gods father :D :D

Postby Rocket_ron

Wild wrote:

Standard from the Gods.

agreed

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:The greatest match ever was the 2006 Masters final.

I've pm'd the poor boy some real match recommendations. :D

Good good, hes a cool kid <ok>

What matches you recommended SF? Im interested too! :redneck:

Postby Wildey

yes when people asks a question just give them a answer it was obviously a genuine question and instead of trying to help him some snake hiss taking was happening...

a forum should be educational and promoting a sport not just for fun and banter. <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:yes when people asks a question just give them a answer it was obviously a genuine question and instead of trying to help him some snake hiss taking was happening...

a forum should be educational and promoting a sport not just for fun and banter. <ok>

THE

Postby Wildey

and breathhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Steve Davis v Alex Higgins 1983 UK Final .....

ive never known a atmosphere like that and i was watching on TV.
Last edited by Wildey on 12 Mar 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The greatest match ever was the 2006 Masters final.

I've pm'd the poor boy some real match recommendations. :D

Good good, hes a cool kid <ok>

What matches you recommended SF? Im interested too! :redneck:

Only a couple actually. The aforementioned Masters Final between Higgins and Ronnie, and their rematch at Telford 2009, which caused break-off to become break-down.

Also Ken Doherty vs Paul Hunter, Crucible semi 2003. That's about it. They were the first three that came to my head. <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:what a bucking pin end havent you cretin listened to buck all this was a thread a guy was asking for advice on and you piece of rubbish fills it up with your usual garbage.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Postby SnookerFan

Simplysnooker, try to ignore the riff-raff on this thread. <laugh>

Coming up with more matches that I personally thought were good, without taking into account length or even whether you can get any footage of them, I have some more.

Stephen Hendry vs Peter Ebdon (believe it or not), World Final 2002.
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Stephen Maguire, Masters first round 2008

And, of course, every snooker fan should see at least the ending of the 1985 Snooker final between Steve Davis vs Dennis Taylor. And, on this score, may I recommend this DVD;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Snooke ... 321&sr=8-1

It shows the final frame of that epic final, along with the background to it. (With an explanation of what happened in the previous 34 frames.) The actual frame itself comes with commentary from Davis and Taylor themselves as well. Which is a nice touch.

Postby SnookerFan

I didn't think it was that controversial as everybody made out it was. Ronnie had a huge lead, so his opponent played on in one frame after needing a lot of snookers. What was the big deal?

Postby Tubberlad

Best matches I can think of in recent years:
1999 Worlds Hendry v O'Sullivan (ridiculously good, O'Sullivan was outstanding, Hendry was more outstanding)
2002 Worlds Hendry v O'Sullivan
2002 Worlds Ebdon v Hendry
2003 Worlds Doherty v Hunter (amazing, but poignant)
2003 Worlds Williams v Doherty
2004 Masters Hunter v O'Sullivan
2004 Worlds O'Sullivan v Hendry (ridiculously good)
2005 Masters O'Sullivan v Higgins
2006 Masters Higgins v O'Sullivan (outstanding game)
2006 Worlds Bond v Hendry
2007 Masters O'Sullivan v Ding
2008 Worlds O'Sullivan v Hendry (more ridiculously good)
2009 Worlds Higgins v Selby
2009 Worlds Higgins v Allen
2009 Masters O'Sullivan v Selby
2009 Grand Prix Robertson v Higgins
2010 Masters Selby v O'Sullivan
2010 Worlds Davis v Higgins
2010 UK Higgins v Williams
2011 German Masters Williams v Selby

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:I didn't think it was that controversial as everybody made out it was. Ronnie had a huge lead, so his opponent played on in one frame after needing a lot of snookers. What was the big deal?

<doh>

It was 79-22 with 18 left so Alain needed EIGHT snookers to win the frame rofl rofl

It was pretty much the debut of Ronnies left handed playing abilities and Alain saw it as Ronnie taking the micky and hence he staged his protest by playing on, which then backfired as Ronnie protested against the protest by also trying to get snookers when the blue and pink were easily pottable. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I didn't think it was that controversial as everybody made out it was. Ronnie had a huge lead, so his opponent played on in one frame after needing a lot of snookers. What was the big deal?

<doh>

It was 79-22 with 18 left so Alain needed EIGHT snookers to win the frame rofl rofl

It was pretty much the debut of Ronnies left handed playing abilities and Alain saw it as Ronnie taking the micky and hence he staged his protest by playing on, which then backfired as Ronnie protested against the protest by also trying to get snookers when the blue and pink were easily pottable. rofl

Still, for a Ronnie O'Sullivan match that's relatively little controversy. <laugh>

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

<doh>

Still, for a Ronnie O'Sullivan match that's relatively little controversy. <laugh>

think this was one of the last ever matches Ronnie actually turned up for :D

Postby SnookerFan

And from lower down the pecking order, I seem to remember Ryan Day vs Dominic Dale from the 2008 Shanghai Masters final was a pretty decent match. Not of the standard of some of the all time classics mentioned, but pretty decent for a final of a minor tournament, featuring two people who you wouldn't necessarily have made favourites to reach the final.