Who reaches the Crucible ?

Judd Trump
71%
David Gilbert
29%

Total votes : 7

World Championships Qualifying 2011: Trump 10-4 Gilbert

Postby Bourne

We finally know who Judd has to make to reach his second appearance at the Crucible, and it's not the player many people expected ... David Gilbert has had to win two matches against Pinches and Lines to make it this far after a poor season of his own, but was not troubled significantly by either.

Hopefully Judd will be too good for him, he's definitely due this win and I get the feeling it's the last time he'll be having to qualify for this tournament for a good couple of decades, so good luck Judd and play well :D

Saturday 12 March at 14:30 is the big moment :excited: with the second session concluding 24 hours later :) :cracker:

Re: World Championships Qualifying 2011: Trump vs Gilbert

Postby randam05

<laugh> no im not :redneck:

I will probs predict trump to win, but i didnt want gilbert to look lonely as hes my fav player :redneck: and I do think he stands a good chance as theres pressure of trump to do it as so many people keep expecting him to have good runs and he knows he should do it, so good chance for gilbert. <ok>

Postby Bourne

Yes in all seriousness I can't underestimate Gilbert, he's won two matches against two good matchplayers in a pressurised environment and won both very impressively in the end, showing good composure to close them out, so he has to be respected <ok> But I think Judd has shown good consistency and has improved in a number of areas in his game this season, and with the carrot of a top-16 place if he can make a big run here, he's gona be right up for it. Pressure's gona be on though !

Postby Alex0paul

Of the four players he could have met I think Gilbert is the toughest match. Both players will for everything so like the Ford match last year it will very much depend on how they start.

Postby Smart

I am having mental battles with this one. I would love Gilbert to qualify as I think he is a real cool dude and he has not played there enough. However I think JT would be what I would call a very dangerous draw for someone in R1 and he might just show the world what quality he has.

I could actually really support Gilby vs say Mags, or Murphy, or MJW. I would also like to see JT vs any of these players and whilst I would not be able to bring myself to support him, I would have a nice little bet on him to beat any of those 3 in a best of 19 frame match. :idea:

So do I care who wins, NO, but its the most intriguing match IMO. <ok>

Postby Bourne

I remembered what happened last year, backed him big against Ford at similar ish prices and vowed that day to never back him at that sort of price again. Faded him at 1/3 ish against Joycey in the UK and it came up trumps, so to speak :wave: But i'm leaving it well alone tomorrow, I don't want any ounce of my being to want JT to lose ...

Postby Smart

Bourne wrote:I remembered what happened last year, backed him big against Ford at similar ish prices and vowed that day to never back him at that sort of price again. Faded him at 1/3 ish against Joycey in the UK and it came up trumps, so to speak :wave: But i'm leaving it well alone tomorrow, I don't want any ounce of my being to want JT to lose ...

4/11 is crap, cos Gilbert is well in that match, I scanned the matches and it is so much 50/50 in my eyes on most matches, Day was 1/3 - how do they work that out. No chance. Song is the best bet if going single. He will beat Perry no probs IMO. <ok>

Postby Bourne

Liang, Gould and Harold are the ones for me this weekend, all odds-on but all much higher than they should be ... Harold scored much better than usual yesterday and only a bit of ring-rust kept Jones in the match but he hit a frame-winning 70+ in the decider so it shows he's up for this and Greene will be the one who's rusty, can get almost evens there for a 1.5 shot.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:Any outsiders you fancy witz ? I'm struggling to see one that really sticks out :chin:

Robertson 23/10 to beat Doherty gotta be a tempter. Kens not been in great form this season and theres always a couple of proper shocks at this stage.

Pagget 5/2 to beat Higginson another wrongly priced match IMO and the odds have to be taken.

O'Brien 9/4 and Chuang 5/2 other shouts and i may well do a combination of all 4 in some doubles and trebles.

Postby Bourne

Pagett was the one I was most guided to because you always get one absolute freak-run in this tournament through a few rounds, and Higginson isn't the best under pressure generally :chin: Think i'll have a bit on Pagett. Chuang about right imo, Day looking a lot more like his old self lately. Robbo II maybe a tad long but I expect crafty Ken to find a way to win that. McLeod the underdog against MDavis, expected odds-reversal there, Davis was playing very poorly in the CL the other day and McLeod cruised past Wilson scare-free and will make it very difficult for Davis.